“Great Quality”

Eastin Hotel Makkasan
Ranked #207 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My wife and I visited the Eastin Hotel during our stay in Bangkok. The cleanliness and general appearance of the hotel was excellent. The food also was of a high standard. The staff however were not the friendliest and could do little to assist with early check ins. This resulted in a large number of very tired loo, ing people being sprawled all over the lobby area. The hotel is also a tad bit far from the shopping hotspots such as MBK. That said, I will use this hotel again based on their quality and food.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
EMB_General_Manager, General Manager at Eastin Hotel Makkasan, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear Anban P,

Greetings from Eastin Makkasan Hotel Bangkok.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback regarding your stay at Eastin Makkasan. We take all feedback extremely seriously and Trip Advisor is an ideal outlet in allowing us to find out what our guests think about their stay plus it gives us an opportunity to respond to our valued guests’ comments.

I was delighted that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Bangkok.

I must sincerely apologize for the situation you encountered regarding your request for an early check-in. As in all hotels an early check-in (unless pre-arranged) is subject to availability and in many cases an early check-in is not possible as either the current in-house guests have not vacated their rooms or the housekeeping team have not had a chance to prepare the rooms for the next guests. I regret that my staff did not show a friendly attitude towards you in dealing with your request and I have already spoken to them about this matter.

It is regrettable that you chose to write a review nearly a year after you stayed with us as, had we been aware of a problem at the time, would have done our utmost to rectify things. Our ultimate aim at Eastin Makkasan is the complete satisfaction of all our guests.

I would also like to mention that since your stay we have introduced a complimentary stretched tuk tuk service to take our guests to the shopping area including a drop off right outside Thailand’s largest mall Central World.

May I end by saying that we hope to see you very soon as an honoured Eastin Makkasan guest.

Chutima Kaewta Fortescue

Write a ReviewReviews (1,367)

Reviewed 1 August 2013

we stays at the makkasan for 3 nights, and overall it was a good hotel. the rooms are clean and comfortable and we got a free upfrade to a better room when we cheked in.
At the last day of our stay, after we checked out at we wanted to arrange out suitcases in the lobby because we had a flight the same day and we didn't have enough time in the room the man that was in charge on the luggage room was very rood and told us to do it in the luggage area only even though it was a small and narrow corridor with no A/C! I guess when you already paid and no longer guest of the hotel, your are not entitled to good service enymore.
he talked down to us and show us the english sign " luggage area" like we were some stupid idiots that didn't understand him while he was being arrogant and upset for probably somthing els that had no connection to us. eventually we arrange our luggage at a travel agency inside the hotel who were kind enough, unlike the hotell staff. if you are in bangkok, there are better places to stay!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
EMB_General_Manager, General Manager at Eastin Hotel Makkasan, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Dear Tal2323,

Greetings from Eastin Makkasan Bangkok.

Thank you very much for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. Trip Advisor is an important source of information for us as it shows us in which areas our guests enjoyed their stay and also where we can improve things for our future guests. It also gives us the opportunity to explain issues that the guests raise so as to clarify the situation.

I am glad that you enjoyed your room and we were pleased to offer you a complimentary upgrade. It is unfortunate that an issue occurred which caused you to be of the opinion that “there are better places to stay” and I would like take this opportunity to explain matters.

I must sincerely apologize for the apparent rudeness of my staff as my concierge and bell service have been praised by our guests (and on Trip Advisor) for their service-mind and willingness to assist in any way they can. I will ascertain what happened in your case and take action to ensure that our guests are not under this impression again.

I must politely take issue with your opinion that once you have paid and are not a guest of the hotel you’re not entitled to good service. As part of the international Eastin chain of hotels and residences our core value is offering our guests outstanding levels of service at all times. The reason why our guests are not permitted to arrange their suitcases in the lobby is due to the fact that, when we have accommodated guests in this manner before, some choose to completely unpack all their belongings and spread over a large area. Unfortunately this causes a major inconvenience to our other patrons which is why we set aside a dedicated area where guests can arrange their belongings in privacy and with no distractions. I regret that this was not convenient for you but I hope you understand our reasoning behind this. I am delighted that the travel agent in the hotel were able to offer you their office to attend to your luggage but as they are situated off the lobby area with few people around it would not have been a major inconvenience to our other guests.

I would like to end by saying that, despite your reservations, you would give us the pleasure of your company on your next trip to Bangkok.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We've stayed in this hotel for 4 days and nights.
The room was spacious, clean and very comfortable.
The hotel serves a very rich buffet breakfast.
I'm a long-distance runner and I prefer to run outside, but this is not a real options in the street of Bangkok so I used the treadmills in their exercise room. There are only 3 treadmills but they were mostly unoccupied whenever I used the facility. On the same floor (the 10th) they also have a decent swimming pool which I've also used a few times.
The location is pretty good as far as I was able to tell. It's supposed to be in walking distance from some major shopping malls but it's a long walk through filthy and cramped streets. So, it's much, much better to take a taxi or a "took-took".
The one thing we really didn't like about this hotel is there free WiFi service which required the use of a user name and password. Reception wasn't good inside my room and the devices kept disconnecting and then I had to laboriously go through the login process again and again. Even when the connection is good, the speed is slow.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
EMB_General_Manager, General Manager at Eastin Hotel Makkasan, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Dear Ilan A,
Greetings from Eastin Makkasan Bangkok.
I would like to start by thanking you for sharing your thoughts on your stay at Eastin Makkasan with the Trip Advisor readership. Trip Advisor is an essential source of information for us as it gives us an insight into what our guests enjoy about their time with us and, more importantly, where we can enhance or improve on their experience.
It was a delight to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and your kind comments only make us more determined to ensure our guests have the most comfortable and relaxing stay possible.
I would like to offer my most sincere apologies for the problem you experienced with our complimentary Wi-Fi. As we are only too aware with the advent of smart phones, tabs and the like a good internet connection is an important part of a traveller’s requirements today. Regarding this I have contacted our internet provider and their engineers are in the process of investigating and improving on the signal.
If I may politely inform you that the log-in process which requires a user name and password is a legal requirement in Thailand as all public users need to register on the network. However I fully understand the inconvenience when the signal is interrupted and you have to repeat the process therefore I have asked our internet provider to attend to this while they are improving on the aforementioned signal.
May I end by saying that it was a great pleasure to serve you during your time in Bangkok and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Thailand.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Although not a great location for those interested to enjoy street shopping at a walking distance from hotel (like the Sukhumvit hotels), but if you're cautious about value for money and interested in enjoying a luxury experience at economy plus pricing while willing to pay 50-100 baht for a 30 minute ride on TukTuk or Taxi to all the places of interest, just check in to Eastin Makasan! Great breakfast, delicious rooftop dinner, comfortable rooms, clean & cozy!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Huge hotel. All services available. Large room, clean, good bed. A lot of background noise due to te beltway that passes just under (a good idea is to ask a room the highest floor possible). Nice and relaxing pool area at 10th floor. Everfriendly personnel. The direct surroundings of the hotel are as chaotic as can be / or if you want to put it positively: you will find yourself in a authentic piece of non touristic bangkok, with little shops, high traffic, little street (sois) around every corner.

Breakfast is more then average, certainly ok. Evening buffet at the restaurant is also ok.

Negatives: lobby at seventh floor, always too busy. No room available when arriving from an 12h flight was a drawback. Did not offer a coffee or small breakfast to kill the time, or offered the swimming pool area to have a shower. Finally a room was relatively quickly arranged.

For a short stay in bangkok just outside the touriistic center, but at walking distance from the klongs, the big shopping centra, etc... A recommendable hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank jutuiz
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Found staff not very friendly. Hotel was decently clean and room was nice. The food and bar are very expensive. Hotel is located in a very busy area. If you like shopping wholesale, this is a good place for you but remember that you have to buy many items. Streets are crowded and not very appealing. Hotel is next to the main highway and about 1.5 klms from the Makkasan Airport Link train. Overall, there are hotels a lot nicer areas in Bangkok.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MacMcGee
EMB_General_Manager, General Manager at Eastin Hotel Makkasan, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Dear MacMcGee,

Greetings from Eastin Makkasan Hotel Bangkok.

May I begin by thanking you for your review on Trip Advisor. We read every review posted and take all comments extremely seriously as they allow us to maintain our high standards and rectify any issues in the shortest possible time.
I was glad to learn that you found our rooms to be clean and nice as we feel that they offer very good value for money for the facilities and comfort they provide.
I must offer my sincere apologies for the aspects of your stay that did not live up to your expectations.
I was concerned to read that you found our staff to be not very friendly as we pride ourselves on the warm Thai welcome we provide our guests and usually receive glowing compliments regarding our staffs’ manner. If you could kindly find the time to contact me via gmadmin@eastinbangkokhotel.com with some further details of your experience I will investigate matters.
I regret that you considered us to be expensive because a browse on our website will show we have rooms starting from approximately 57 USD. Furthermore our bar and restaurant prices are commensurate with our immediate competitors and we constantly compare prices to ensure our guests are not being overcharged.
I am sorry that our location was not to your tastes. There are hotels in nicer locations in Bangkok such as by the river but their room prices will certainly reflect this being considerably more expensive than us. Being a hotel in central Bangkok the streets are naturally crowded as in any large metropolis and many of our guests enjoy the thriving atmosphere of the city’s street life and experiencing the real Bangkok but I am sorry that it was not to your liking.
May I end by saying that, despite your concerns, we would dearly like to have the pleasure of your company on your next trip to Bangkok as one of our valued returning guests.

Chutima Kaewta-Fortescue

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Stayed at the Eastin Makkasan hotel in Bangkok for 3 days during a work trip. Spent very little time at the hotel, but it was a nice place to come back to. Loved the nice, clean rooms. They felt spacious (weren't very big, but felt spacious), very well equipped, clean and had a nice positive energy to them.

The bathroom was nice, except that the doors are transparent. Not ideal if you prefer a little more privacy.

The hotel's restaurants, staff, food and the swimming pool are all nice. The view from the hotel room, lobby is also lovely. Since this was a work trip, i was being driven around all the time (so couldnt experience the ease/difficulty of local commute) and therefore cant comment too much about how accessible it is from the airport, etc. However, shopping options are a plenty and within 10-15 mins walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business