“Bit costly but Good hotel”

Eastin Hotel Makkasan
Ranked #193 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Bhubaneswar, India
“Bit costly but Good hotel”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Its a good hotel near pratunam garment market and you can view the Bangkok traffic from the balcony of the top floor room.The Breakfast collection is very tasty and healthy. Be aware of the Taxi and TUK TUK drivers roaming outside of the hotel who will always tempt you for BOOM BOOM and massage parlors.

Room Tip: Always ask for top floor room
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
EMB_General_Manager, General Manager at Eastin Hotel Makkasan, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Dear happysenapati,

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences at Eastin Makkasan. I was pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your room and breakfast and hope you had a wonderful shopping trip at Pratunam like so many of our guests.

Thank you once again for sharing your time with your fellow travelers- all of us hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon.

Didier Gourmaud

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 22 September 2013

After a wonderful stay in 2 of the most beautiful hotels in Thailand this 2 night stay before our return to South Africa was such a dissaster. We got to the hotel and the 1st thing we noticed was the horrid smell in the hotel. Then we were sent to our room and was dissapointed beyond believe. Our room had to small widows and the view was the back side of another building! The carpet was filthy and the room was in desparate need of a fresh coat of paint. The shower (over the bath) had a rail but no shower curtain. We enquired by reception how to get to MBK mall from there and were told that it is a 5 min walk away. After walking for an hour in this dirty, smelly, smog filled roads we finally found it.

On our return to the hotel via tuk tuk we wanted an beter room and were imediately given an upgrade at an additional charge. The breakfast was ok but the cupboards looked like they were 20 years old and needed some serious upgrade.

The only good thing about this hotel was the bar on the 23 floor and that restaurant.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Napierfamily96
EMB_General_Manager, General Manager at Eastin Hotel Makkasan, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear Napierfamily96,

Greetings from Eastin Makkasan Hotel Bangkok.

I would like to begin by expressing my sincere apologies for your disappointing stay at Eastin Makkasan. We endeavour to satisfy all our guests and I deeply regret the issues you encountered.

I have personally investigated your case after identifying you from your Trip Advisor username and would like to report my findings to you.

Regarding the “horrid smell” in the hotel. I must apologize for being confused by this comment as last week we did experience a problem with our extractor exhaust which has now been rectified. Unfortunately you chose to write a review of your stay nearly a year after visiting us and after checking the records for the month of your stay last December we can find no other guest comment of this nature whatsoever. Nor do we have any record of a complaint from yourselves regarding this matter. If we had done so we would have attempted to locate the source of the “horrid smell” and attend to matters.

I was concerned to learn about the condition of your room as at Eastin Makkasan we undergo a constant year-round care program involving both the engineering and housekeeping departments to keep them in tip-top condition and I have requested a report from my departmental heads as to why yours appears to have been missed from the schedule at that time.

I was pleased to find out that the discounted upgrade we gave you met with your approval at that time. I would also like to inform you that the hotel was renovated in 2008 to the Eastin brand standard therefore I am sorry that you considered the cupboards to appear to be older.

I would like to apologize further for my staff misinforming you about the distance to MBK, which is about a 10 minute taxi ride. We have now introduced a complimentary stretched tuk tuk service to take our guests to the main shopping area for their convenience.

May I end by saying that despite your disappointment with your stay we would be delighted to welcome you back again where you can witness our improvements for yourselves.

Qualicum Beach, Canada
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The staff are good. The first room we were given was dingy, shower doors had a 2" gap, which I didn't realize I walked into the bathroom slipped and fell hard. The staff gave us an upgraded room, it was on the corner, great view but noisy being on top of the freeway. The beds are uncomfortable my husband and I had a sore back while we there. The tv worked briefly then died, the repair man came and switched receivers ,the replaced receiver worked for awhile and then went off line, The channel selections were limited to CNN and a few other news channels. The free Wifi worked properly.
The worst part was the public areas of the Eastin Hotel stink.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debbie J
EMB_General_Manager, General Manager at Eastin Hotel Makkasan, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Dear Debbie J,

Greetings from Eastin Makkasan Hotel Bangkok.

I would like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your stay on Trip Advisor. Your comments are essential in allowing us to maintain our high standards and rectify any issues encountered by our guests.

I was pleased to learn of your satisfaction with our staff as any hotel is only as good as the service it provides.

I must sincerely apologise for the disappointment you experienced and, as we have managed to retrieve your booking from the description you gave on this website, would like to address the issues you raised.

I was delighted that our upgrade to an executive suite met with your approval after your fall in the shower. It is unfortunate that you had previously hurt your leg prior to staying with us that necessitated the use of crutches which may have contributed to your accident and I hope you have made a full recovery and that the larger bathroom in the executive suite made things easier for you.

I regret that you found our beds to be uncomfortable as all our mattresses are international grade hotel items sourced from a major supplier of many international chain hotels in Bangkok. If we had received a request for a softer bed prior to you checking-in and taking into account your prior injury we would have done our utmost to ensure your comfort.

I must offer my further apologies over the problems you experienced with your TV and the channel selection. I would like to inform you that we have 30 cable channels including Star Sports, Eurosport, Syfy, Universal, Animax and Sony but as we have just recently upgraded our in-room TV system some of the TVs may need fine tuning and we are in the process of adjusting these.

I am extremely sorry that the worst part of your stay was the aroma in our public areas. During your time with us the extractor exhaust was undergoing repair and I am pleased to inform you that the problem has now been resolved by my engineering team.

May I end by saying that despite your low score on Trip Advisor we would be delighted if, on your next visit to Bangkok, you would do us the honour of choosing us as your accommodation again where you can witness the improvements we have made.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We travelled as a couple with an 18 month old child, and the staff could not have been more accommodating to us and our daughter, despite the toddler related mess we unfortunately regularly left in the Glass House restaurant each day.

We organised a cot in advance via the travel agency, which was duly ready in the room on our arrival (with sheets changed daily as well as the main bed).

There's a small play room on the 26th floor that is perfect to entertain a child for a few hours when you need it. The ball room is fantastic for young kids, and there's a couple of PS3s for older children (although I would recommend the hotel charge the controllers. Most seem to be flat). It has some toys, books and games as well.

Rooms were well appointed, modern and well kept. We actually asked to change rooms on the first day as there was a paint odour that we felt uncomfortable with (particularly on behalf of our toddler). All it took was an enquiry about availability of other rooms (not a demand to move), and we were politely informed another room was being made ready for us. This is simply good customer service, and we had no further problems.

Location wasn't ideal in terms of the major tourist sites in central Bangkok, but the shopping hubs are just about within walking distance. In any case taxis are ready and waiting just outside to take you anywhere in the city. I would argue that if you plan to take in the sights of Bangkok on daily excursions the actual proximity to the historical heart of the city is not a concern. You'll be out all day anyway.

All in all - we were happy to stay here.

Room Tip: If you're up around the 25th / 26th floor, check that you can completely darken the room with th...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Mr. Hammarberg,

Thank you for choosing Eastin Makkasan during your time in Bangkok and for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. Your kind and constructive comments are truly appreciated.
I was delighted that your little one enjoyed the facilities we provide for children and, thanks to you comment, we have been able to fix our Play Station.

I will pass on your comments regarding customer service to my team as your feedback can only inspire them to maintain the high standards we hope to achieve.

May I end by saying that we hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you and your family once again at Eastin Makkasan Bangkok.

Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed here on business for 6 nights in December 2012. Hotel staff was very helpful and pleasant, especially in the restaurant (I still remember the hospitality of one of the restaurant hostesses). Bed was comfy, room entertainment and room system great and useful. Since I was on business I did not enjoy much of the pool (only once for an hour) but the pool view is magnificent. I did not like the location, although pretty central (15 minute walk from Siam Square) the neighbourhood is pretty dark at night, can be a bit overwhelming to walk alone. I have to say I got used to it quickly and it was not a problem after the first couple of walks. Other thing that slightly bothered me is that the air condition in the meeting room/hall where we spent our days could not be adjusted so we alternated between two extremes (super cold with AC on or immediately too hot with AC turned off).

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Bhubaneswar, India
Reviewed 6 September 2013

It was really an excellent 'n exclusive experience during the stay of our family in Hotel Eastin from 6th to 16 th of August '13 . The hospitality , punctuality , and of course the environment all matchless . Hope, in our next visit to Bangkok 'n other places we shall definitely prefer Eastin to be our dwelling place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jaygopal1953
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Specifically chose this hotel for honeymoon,the hotel promised to prepare for my honeymoon setup, When we entered the room they totally did not prepare anything for us .I feel very disappointed , this is for my husband to prepare surprise , to finally come to nothing.I immediately complained , the official would I say his manager will soon reply to me , but he never apologized at the moment. After that we went out after we come back again to the hotel they already prepared honey moon setup to our room but do u think we still have the mood to saw this? we stayed 3 nights in tis hotel but until we check out they also never apologized. As a four star hotel just a simple apologized also dunno? when i make booking they mentioned tat whenwe reached hotel if the room never prepared yet, first night will b free, so in this case izzit should free for me? But never....thank u tis hotel to give me tis services......

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank joeslin
EMB_General_Manager, General Manager at Eastin Hotel Makkasan, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Dear joesli,
Greetings from Eastin Makkasan Bangkok.
May I begin by offering my most heartfelt apologies to both you and your husband concerning your disappointing experience with the honeymoon setup in your room.
As we are entirely dedicated to your complete satisfaction I have undertaken a full investigation into what occurred.
We have a record of your request for a honeymoon setup made during your booking and the relevant departments were informed regarding this. Our normal practise regarding honeymoon setups is to prepare the room for honeymooners during our daily evening turndown service so the room is ready for the night the honeymoon. Due to your experience I have now changed this and all rooms requiring a honeymoon setup will be prepared prior to the guests’ arrival.
I fully sympathize with your opinion regarding the lack of an apology from my staff and have instructed them in no uncertain terms that it is imperative that the guests’ feelings are taken into account when handling such situations and staff must fully empathize with the guest and show a professional and sympathetic attitude.
As I previously mentioned at Eastin Makkasan we are entirely dedicated to your complete satisfaction therefore if you could kindly contact me directly via gmadmin@eastinbangkokhotel.com I would like to come to an arrangement with you and your husband with regards to this issue.

Chutima Kaewta Fortescue