“Great Quality”

Ranked #194 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Centurion, South Africa
“Great Quality”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

"My wife and I visited the Eastin Hotel during our stay in Bangkok. The cleanliness and general appearance of the hotel was excellent. The food also was of a high standard. The staff however were not the friendliest and could do little to assist with early check ins. This resulted in a large number of very tired loo, ing people being sprawled all over the lobby area. The hotel is also a tad bit far from the shopping hotspots such as MBK. That said, I will use this hotel again based on their quality and food.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
EMB_General_Manager, General Manager at Eastin Hotel Makkasan, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Anbanp2802

Greetings from Eastin Makkasan Bangkok.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your stay on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time with us.

I am sorry that we were not able to accommodate your request for an early check-in. As your stay coincided with the high season we were running at full occupancy therefore it was regrettable that we could not offer you a room earlier than your scheduled check-in time as other guests had not yet checked out.

I notice from your review that you stayed with us in February 2013 therefore I am pleased to inform you that we now have a complimentary stretched tuk tuk service to take guests to the main shopping areas, airport rail link and BTS sky train.

We look forward to the time when we can be of service to you once again on your next visit to Bangkok.

General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed there twice over a two week period, 1 night then two nights. Rooms were clean, we were upgraded the first night to a suite which was lovely. Staff were friendly and helpful, front desk, restuarant and services very chatty and accomodating. Food was good with a dinner and a breakfast buffet, not cheap in Bangkok terms but excellent variety and still reasonable. Skytrain is a short walk from the hotel which gives you a direct line to the airport and one stop the other way gives you access to the rest of Bangkok's metro system. The metro system is easy to use getting you to the river and a host of tourist activities as well as Bangkok's central station with trains to the countryside. We were not there long but had a good experience and would stay again.

Room Tip: Stayed there twice over a two week period,both times had upper floors, which we requested as per pre...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Garry L
EMB_General_Manager, General Manager at Eastin Hotel Makkasan, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Garry L

Greetings from Eastin Makkasan Bangkok.

Thank you very much for posting your kind comments on Trip Advisor and may I say how delighted I was that my staff made you feel so welcome. I am glad you managed to pack so much in to your short time with us and hope that one day we have the chance to be of service to you both again.

Netanya, Israel
Reviewed 18 January 2014

The hotel is very close to everything!! you can go by walking just a 10 min to the Platinum, electronic mall, central world, Pratunam market. we have been in the De-luxe with a nice view, bath rube, wireless key-board. every time we entrance the hotel the door man opens our car door, the hotel door. we enjoyed our stay :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sapir H
EMB_General_Manager, General Manager at Eastin Hotel Makkasan, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Dear Sapir H

Greetings from Eastin Makkasan Bangkok.

May I say how proud I was that you considered us to be the best hotel you stayed at during your time in Thailand. Given the vast choice available these words mean a lot to me and my team as we strive to give our valued guests the best possible stay for the best value for money.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your holiday and if you are ever in Bangkok again we would be honored to welcome you back to Eastin Makkasan. We hope to see you soon!

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Nice view of bangkok city on the upper floors
Hotel Sky lounge is good
Very near to market, malls, baiyoke Sky, hardrock, 7eleven, massage parlours
Good connectivity to roads
Hotel Staff / Reception Staff very friendly
Excellent Infrastructure
Nice Breakfast
All sight seeing is possible
Wifi is good
Cocktails are excellent in the lounge

No complaints about anything

*Stayed here for 3 nights*

Room Tip: get room on a higher floor to see bangkok city
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pushkar151
EMB_General_Manager, General Manager at Eastin Hotel Makkasan, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Pushkar151

Greetings from Eastin Makkasan Bangkok.

If I may say how pleased I was to read your review of your time with us. When a guest has such an enjoyable time and makes full use of all that Eastin Makkasan and Bangkok has to offer it serves as an inspiration to both myself and my staff to continue to serve our guests to the best of our ability. All of us at Eastin Makkasan sincerely hope that it’s not too long before you have the chance to visit us again.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Rooms are really nice, well-laid out and recently done up, so feel inviting and as a nice place to spend time. Outdoor restaurant on the terrasse at the 20th floor (or so) is realle nice too. Wifi works fine everywhere too.

Primary challenges are:
- location is outright poor. Way too far away from the metro and the neighborhoord is somewhat rundown and not very charming. Does not feel an as insecure neighborhood, just not very interesting.
- the hotel reception and breakfast area are very boring and do not at all convey the buzz you normally find at a hotel full of international travellers.

Would not stay again at this hotel.

Room Tip: Just find a different hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dear Republicofdenmark

Greetings from Eastin Makkasan Bangkok.
Thank you for taking the time to share your observations of your stay with the Trip Advisor readership.

I am glad that you found the hotel itself to be worthy of praise but must regretfully admit to some confusion as to why you awarded the hotel a poor rating after mentioning the many aspects you enjoyed. As we are dedicated to your satisfaction and seek to rectify any issues to improve our guests stay if you could kindly find the time to contact me via gm@eastinbangkokhotel.com with some further observations I would greatly appreciate it.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies over the aspects which I assume led you to award us a poor score, including our location. We do offer a complimentary tuk tuk service to the BTS Sky Train and major shopping areas and I am sorry if you were not aware of this. With regards to the area not being very charming, many of our guests enjoy the myriad of sights and sounds that street life in the “real” Bangkok provides without the sterile environment of a 5-star beachfront resort. I regret that it was not to your liking and if I might add that, due to the very nature and reality of the city, even the luxury malls, hotels and restaurants exist side by side with less than salubrious areas.

If I may end by saying that I hope on your return to Bangkok you find a hotel in an area that is more in keeping with your requirements and have a thoroughly enjoyable time.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I chose this hotel because I saw the manager's replies to comments on Tripadvisor and felt that it was a sign of good customer service. The hotel room was big, comfortable, clean and with a city view. The room service menu even had halal options. We went end of Dec and was initially frightened of the Bangkok protests but happy to say that the streets were peaceful and there was no disturbance at the hotel.

The only downside is the hotel's location. The BTS is far away and the walking distance to Platinum Mall & Pratunam market is honestly not very near. They tried to remedy it by offering free shuttle service but the concierge personnel I approached seemed reluctant to let us take the free shuttle and kept repeating "just take cab, cheap, better". I was very disappointed by this.

The hotel also does not call cabs for you. You'd either have to take the tuk-tuk/cabs parked right outside (these drivers will rip you off as they refuse to turn on the meter) or walk farther down and flag a meter cab. You'd think that given the poor location, they should be calling cabs in for customers at the lobby.

Overall, the hotel is value for money and if you're okay taking cabs everywhere, the location shouldn't matter.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear AsihahSupertramp

May I offer my sincere thanks for your kind words regarding my attitude to customer service. The simple fact of the matter is as General Manager I have been delegated the task of ensuring our guests receive the best comfort and service possible and it ultimately my responsibility that our guests leave satisfied.

Regarding this I was very disappointed to learn about the lack of service mind expressed by my staff concerning your use of the tuk tuk shuttle and their apparent unwillingness to hail a taxi for you. The shuttle is available free at scheduled times of the day and for private hire for a nominal fee outside these time to take guests to their desired destination in the vicinity. The staff are well aware of this service we provide therefore I have spoken to their manager that this attitude is unacceptable and have taken disciplinary measures against those involved as this is not the level of service expected of an Eastin member of staff.

Similarly our bell staff at the main door are instructed to call a taxi from the street if a guest requests it and do so frequently. I will be investigating why this did not occur in your case and taking appropriate action.

May I end by saying that it was a delight that you chose Eastin Makkasan as your accommodation while in Bangkok and we hope you have the chance to visit us again in the very near future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed just one night and arrived after midnight. There were no issues arriving late - the room was ready and waiting. Much of my 'average' mark is, in fairness, probably more based on personal preferences than hard facts. The hotel and room has a modern design, and someone has splashed out on having the TV, lights and air con all operational from a central interface.

But the room and corridors felt a little unloved to me, like they'd been brand new ten years ago and not cared for since. There was practically no window in the room. The bed was in the centre of the room - not middle against the wall, but centre against no wall. The room was also quite small.

The bed was comfortable and I got a quiet night's sleep, but this didn't feel like a home away from home to me. No real complaints, but not sure this hotel is the best value for money, compared to others.

Room Tip: Might be worth paying the extra 200 Baht for an upgrade, which will probably include a better window...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
EMB_General_Manager, General Manager at Eastin Hotel Makkasan, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Katharine T

Greetings from Eastin Makkasan Bangkok.

May I thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor and giving a frank and honest appraisal of your time with us. We appreciate all comments and fully respect that some elements are down to personal preferences rather than anything particularly disappointing with a guests stay.

We undergo a constant care programme of all our rooms therefore once I have ascertained which room you stayed in I will instruct my Housekeeping and Engineering sections to check it regarding your comments. If I may also politely inform you that our room size is the standard size commensurate with other Bangkok hotels in our market segment.

May I end by saying that I hope should you ever return to Bangkok you find a hotel that is more in keeping with your requirements and have a thoroughly wonderful time.