“Best Buddy !”

Ranked #180 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Best Buddy !”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Buddy Lodge is now my go to place when in Bangkok. All the amenities you could ask for and aren't likely to find elsewhere on Khao San road. Location is walking distance to several attractions, a short ride to the sky train and smack in the middle of Bangkok's backpacker party area. Even as a frequent visitor to Bkk their Thai and foreign staff still proved very helpful to me. No complaints here....well other than the fact that i wish my holiday lasted longer

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Buddy Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Axl87,

Thank you for staying at our hotel and for taking the time to write a few words about your experience here.

We really appreciate your recommendation to all future travelers to try our hotel on Khaosan Road and for your kind words about our customer service.

It was a pleasure meeting you during your short stay and we all hope you will visit us again the next time you fly in from Malaysia.

gsm@buddygroupthailand.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed at Buddy lodge during Songkran this year. This hotel was very nice in my opinion. Stayed here with my girlfriend for two days. Just a quick word it was very loud but probably a bit more than usual due to the thousands of people on the street for Songkran. Rooftop pool was very nice, the bartender made a hell of a Mai Thai say my girlfriend. Rooms were very nice beds where comfy. They had HBO on the tv which was the only English Channel really. Air conditioning worked amazing which was a life saver. Overall I would recommend this place for any travellers that don't mind a bit of noise while they sleep, which we didn't. Good work Buddy lodge you made the first two days of our month long trip awesome.

Room Tip: 608 is a good room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nick N
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Buddy Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear Nick N,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable insights on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at the Buddy Lodge Hotel.

We were delighted to read you enjoyed the Thai New Year Celebrations. We estimate that up to 15,000 people came to Khaosan Road every day of the four day Songkran festival - it was an incredible spectacle to behold.

Our rooftop pool has a great selection of cocktails available and what better way is there to forget you are in a large metropolis then by kicking back, relaxing and sipping on your favourite drink at our beautiful pool.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and felt you received such a positive introduction to Thailand.

We hope you will be back again at the end of your trip.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Buddy Lodge was the first stop on our 3-week Thailand vacation. This place had been recommended to us from friends. We are 34 year old female travellers and wanted to stay close to the "action" in Bangkok. Our reason for being there was to shop, be exposed to Bangkok, take in the sights. You can do all of these things in Bangkok without having to stay on Khao San Road, but we figured if we were only going to have 3 nights in Bangkok, then we might as well stay right in the heart of it all.

If you arrive late at night into bangkok, your cab driver will not be able to drive down Khao San Road to take you to the Buddy Lodge because the street is a walking street with markets and vendors and bars at night. You will need to be prepared to walk with your suitcase or backpack through the chaos. I knew that Buddy Lodge was attached to a McDonalds, and we could see the McDonalds sign from a mile away. Its not a long street, you won't be walking very far.

Buddy Lodge itself was probably the best place to stay on Khao San Road. I honestly did not find it to be all that loud once you were in your hotel room. I live in a big city in Canada, so the odd honking horn or hooting and hollaring in the night doesn't bother me.

The best part about Buddy Lodge was the rooftop pool. This is a rare treat on Khao San Road because you can escape the hectic street below for a relaxing, quiet, tranquil lounge at the pool. Great "chill" music and a pool bar.

For a first timer to Bangkok, I was pleased with the selection of Buddy Lodge, but have to say that after 3 nights on Khao San Road, we were ready to move on. We hired a taxi to take us the 2 hours from Bangkok to Pattaya. It only cost us about $40cdn. So cheap .... would HIGHLY recommend hiring a driver instead of taking a bus or tour (the bus was $11 to Pattaya), if you don't mind paying the extra cash. You get to play your own music, stretch out, have some beers, and don't have to be crowded in with a bunch of other tourists on the bus.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Emma S,

Thank you for staying at the Buddy Lodge Hotel, our whole team were very pleased to read you were happy with all the different hotel facilities we offer.

We really appreciate your kind words regarding our customer service, clean rooms and roof top swimming pool.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

John Pettengell
Group Guest Services Manager.
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Firstly let me point out We didn't spend to much time in the hotel as we were out most of the daytime so this is my experience/feeling of the time that we did spend there.
Firstly we had to pay to check in early even tho the room was ready we was made aware of this fee but after a long flight we just wanted to shower and have a change of clothes, So be prepare for this.

Upon entering the room it was clear that it was a bit run Down in my opinion. Also there was a muggy sort of smell and a few creepy crawly around the work tops i put this down to the area (very busy street and lots of bugs walking about)
The room was a decent size and cleanish, Air con worked perfectly and could be control next to the bedside bonus!!
There was a bit of lack of wall sockets that worked but again nothing to major. The bathroom a few more bugs but again overall pretty good. One thing I have to mention was that in our room they didn't like u throwing toilet paper down the toilet (I don't need to go into details) but again I put this down to it being an old building.
Wifi was very hit and miss mostly miss! So If you need to check your flights you won't be able to do it at the hotel.
Check out was very slow 20mins for some reason!
I've had a few cocktails in bangkok and the ones I had at the pool bar was by far the best in he area. The best thing about this hotel was the location.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Buddy Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Tony M,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Buddy Lodge Hotel and for taking the time to write a review of your experiences here on Trip Advisor.

Firstly, regarding checking-into the hotel, the details of your booking makes it very clear that our scheduled check-in time is 14:00pm. When you arrived our staff explained this to you and then offered you the opportunity to check in at an earlier time, which you declined (this is subject to availability). This is an optional charge, at no time did we force you to pay extra for the room and as such we don’t really think this is a valid criticism against the hotel.

However, here at the Buddy Lodge we do understand that this waiting period can be difficult for guests who have travelled long distances and are very tired. To help ease this transition we make some of our hotel facilities available to you before check-in, such as luggage storage, the shower facility in the Fitness Centre and the Hotel’s Swimming Pool.

We apologize for the cleanliness of your room, our Housekeeping Manager has been made aware of your comments and will look at ways we can improve the service provided by our cleaning staff.

The reason why we don't want guests putting toilet paper directly into the toilet is not simply because the “Hotel is old”, it is because the drains in Thailand simply do not function in the same way as Western countries. All Thai toilets will either come with a refuse bin or a squirty hose to dispose of your rubbish.

The electric plug sockets in the room are controlled by the box beside the bed. In order to make a plug socket live you must first turn on the appropriate light switch and then unplug the lamp. We wish you had made our reception staff aware you were having difficulties during your stay so we could have looked into the problem while you were staying here.

Thank you for the generous praise about the cocktails prepared at our swimming pool bar. I have shared your comment with the pool staff and they were delighted to get mentioned on Trip Advisor in such a positive way.

Guest Services Manager
South Ockendon, Essex
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

As I hadn't been to Khao San Road on previous visits I stayed here for one night en route to Koh Tao.
Staff were friendly and helpful, room was basic but functional and clean. Decent rooftop swimming pool with plenty of sun loungers and bar. I had breakfast included in Mulligan's bar and that was ok as well. It's situated on Khao San Road which is shut off to vehicles as a walking street later in the day so bear that in mind if you have heavy luggage.
My room was towards back of the hotel and on 4th floor so minimal noise as well from street and nightclub.
For the price, I would definitely recommend.
Note I wouldn't have stayed here for more than one night though as Khao San is very in your face and proper touristy. There are much better areas of Bangkok and more traditional b&b's that I would prefer on next visit.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank killerdwarf
Dear Killer Dwarf,

Thank you for staying at the Buddy Lodge Hotel on the world famous Khaosan Road.

We were very pleased to learn you enjoyed staying at our hotel and found it a comfortable and pleasant stay.

We hope you would choose us again in the future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

On my many visits to Thiland this was my first stop at this hotel I have probably stayed here a dozen times with friends and family the location is great right on Khoisan road the staff have always been friendly and efficient hear after a few years of visiting hear the hotel is now in need of a good refurbishment iit is very tired the always looks dirty and unkepead the resaurant is not anywhere near as good has it used to be I used to enjoy my stays hear don't get me wrong but for the cost there is better hotels out there now I have stayed on the one in samui now that is worth a stay beautifull (come on buddy you need to update )

Room Tip: There is not much difrance in the standard to the superia really
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Dear David H,

Thank you for choosing the Buddy Lodge as your first port of call many times over the last few years.

2014 is the year for change at our hotel.

We have already started a major project to renovate and modernise all the hotel rooms. We have recently finished all the rooms on the 2nd floor and given them all a massive facelift. Over the coming months this will extend to every room.

We can assure you David H that should you visit us again in the near future you will be suitably impressed with the changes being made now.

Safe travels and hope to see you again in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Location is excellent. Above McDonalds, so very easy to find. Check in was terrific, with terrific info from the manager who was extremely helpful. (I wish all hotels had a staff member like him). Room was a little tired, but what do you expect from the old part of Bangkok. Bed quality was very comfortable and good pillows. Room was clean with fantastic quiet air conditioning. We had a kettle in our room so I wasn't sure if we were meant to get tea/coffee etc.

Bathroom was small, but good shower pressure with toiletries, toothbrushes etc.

I did not find the noise a problem. We were not facing khao San road, and you could hear music, but I must admit I was pretty tired so slept like a baby. Pool looked a little murky but there were a few sun lovers during the day.

Breakfast was just ok, which is just above MCDonalds. Check out was really quick.

Booked taxi to the airport (DM) for 55 baht. Very happy the Buddy Lodge,

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grahunts2016
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Buddy Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear Grahunts,

Those are truly grand words about our hotel and we are very grateful that you have taken the time to share them here on Tripadvisor.

It was a pure delight to read that you were so impressed with our hotel and our staffs customer service during your time spent here with us.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Buddy Lodge Hotel in the future.