“Good zoo with lots of shade”
Review of Dusit Zoo

Dusit Zoo
Ranked #92 of 573 things to do in Bangkok
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Koalas, elephants, zebras and pandas are just some of the 1,600 animals on display in this fairly well-maintained zoo. The zoo also boasts large green spaces and a pond with paddle boats.
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

We spent a few hours at the zoo and for the price It is such a bargain. The animals seemed to be happy, all had food, water and shade - so much better than other zoos I have been to in Thailand! It is a big place with lots of different animals. Great for children and adults. Be warned we found it very hard to get a taxi here from central bangkok everyone of them tried to take us to "safari world" and all had brochures so I assume they get commission. Is a little out of the way and they all insistes on 300-400b but only around 100b on the meter. Overall good way to spend a couple hours.

1  Thank Nicola T

Reviewed 5 May 2014

If you appreciate and care about nature then you will probably be saddened by this zoo, as I was. It was a ridiculously hot day when my partner and I visited last week and so it was increasingly distressing to see (when we actually found some animals!) as we progressed from small enclosure to small enclosure that there was no water for the animals that didn't live in water. The majority of the mammals lay still in the heat and if it wasn't for the rapid panting they were desperately doing to cool down you would swear they were dead. It wasn't nice to see.

The only animal in a decent sized enclosure were the small black bears and even they were looking delerious with the heat. The tanks that the fish were kept in were just that; tanks with nothing in them but water and dead fish. It had a large lake in the middle which you could take a peddle boat onto and see the water monitor lizards swimming in, feed the big catfish and watch the storks and other birds on bird island. But this, like most areas of the zoo, look like they haven't seen any care or attention in decades.

It was also a bit frustrating being stared at all of the time. It often felt like we were the attraction at the zoo for the locals. I doubt that they rarely see westerners in Bangkok, so I'm assuming it must have been my height advantage over everyone that was so fascinating! A small, possibly petty annoyance, but it lowered an already disappointing visit.

If it had more funding, a lick of paint and keepers that really cared about the animals this could be a great place.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Little bit on the average side for zoo appearance. However the surroundings are pleasant enough- nice lake in the middle of the zoo (change of scenery from the concrete jungle of central Bangkok) The seal show at midday is probably the highlight for children.

1  Thank Mave2373
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We spent half a day there and it was so interesting. It was lean, useful information and very helpful staff working there. We were so interested in seal show and elephant. The price for entering ticket was reasonable and it was worth to visit the park.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

This zoo is clearly not one of the biggest, richest, cleanest I ever saw, nevertheless it is a pleasant place where to spend a couple of hours enjoying a beautiful park, nice animals (sometimes in small cages) and leveraging the opportunity to feed giraffes, camels, hippos and baby goats. If you are alone you can also enjoy the company of 1,0 - 1,5 meters long giant lizards free in the zoo (unless you are scared by reptiles).
I don't regret to spend time here and to spend 150baths for the animals.... Including the giant lizard who followed me for awhile

1  Thank Roberto D

Been to Dusit Zoo? Share your experiences!