“Well Worth the Stairs”

The Golden Mount (Wat Saket)
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Bangkok’s Hidden Treasures Walking Tour
Ranked #26 of 603 things to do in Bangkok
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: This temple is known for the Golden Mount or Phu Khao Thong, a high hill that offers stunning views at its summit over Rattanakosin Island.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was one of our first stops in Bangkok and I really enjoyed it. Be aware there are about 300 stairs to climb but the view from the top is fantastic.

I will note that we had a private tour guide with us at this site and I doubt that I would have really liked or appreciated it without her. She explained all of the history and the meanings behind all of the statues etc. For example on the way in is all the animals that represent your birth year. I would have totally missed this if not for her. Same thing with the statues you see on the climb up and the Buddhas at the top that represent the day of the week you were born. We learned about which direction to walk and why and the meaning of the money/writing people were leaving. She also pointed out from the top everything we were looking down at. I don't know if there are guides you can hire there but if there are probably well worth it.

I thought the whole site was very beautiful and it was extremely cheap to enter. I think I noted bathrooms there as well. There were no restrictions on the photos and we took a lot.

We took the canal boat here which took us right there and made it even more of a fun trip.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,217)
All reviews
"worth the climb"
in 72 reviews
"easy climb"
in 30 reviews
"panoramic view of bangkok"
in 26 reviews
in 104 reviews
in 83 reviews
in 157 reviews

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Maybe we were just holiday'd out by then. Didn't find it at all exciting but it was there so we went and saw it.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

It's not a steep climb like Wat Arun but there are 300 steps to climb: be ready for it. If you're not going to visit any sky bars, this is probably the best city view you will get in Bangkok. The entry fee is only 20 baht, the gardens on the way up are nice, there is a cafe halfway up. Do not miss looking at the Wat Saket grounds around the mountain as the monks' quarters are beautiful buildings as well. If you're coming from the Democracy Monument direction there's an entrance on Boripat Road or you can enter from Chakkaphatdi Phong Road and walk 200 palm-lined meters through the complex. There are probably other entrances, as well. Anyway, well worth the effort.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Take some water with you as you'll need a drink when you eventually climb the stairs to the top. The 360 degree view is worth the climb.
If you're lucky, a few of the monks also speak English and are more than happy to chat with you for as long as you like.
I did this and had the monk then show me around the place more and explain some of the meaning behind Thai Buddhism and the temple. It helped having a Thai girlfriend with me but do yourself a favour and ask a monk a few questions anyway.
I found it a great experience.