“great value for money”

Ranked #420 of 867 Hotels in Bangkok
New Plymouth, New Zealand
“great value for money”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

we stayed for four nights the first night we had a room that had been redecorated but the airconditioning smelt of cigarettes and was noisy and couldn't be turned off. we asked to be move we got a great room on the 19th floor with a balcony a nice quiet very efficient aircon. $50nzd a night including breakfast which was great a buffet with every type of food asian and european my favourite the man who made omelets to order.
the hotel is in the middle of chinatown only a short walk to the river ferry. the staff were very helpful great service

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nzkiwiwoman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 27 December 2013

An overdue review. Checked in on 16/2/2013, checked out on 19/2/2013. 4 standard rooms x 3 nights.

Location : In the heart of Chinatown, easy to get everywhere by foot. Hawkers, restaurants, massage parlors, convenient store, interesting temples and etc can be reached by within 5 minutes walk.

Room : Decent but small.

Service : Friendly, helpful and polite during our 3 nights stay. BUT we encountered a very bad experience during our check out. We were informed by the staffs on duty that the instant noodles in ours rooms have gone missing and they want to impose extra charges in our billing. We made it explicitly clear to them that no instant noodles were there in the first place. But they insisted that the housekeepers have put them instant noodles in our rooms. It was so ridiculous that the staffs made us look like thieves, as if we have consumed the instant noodles and in order to escape any imposition of charges, we purposely threw the the instant noodles cups somewhere else instead of the bin provided in the rooms.

After approx 15 minutes of debating, the staffs finally decided to let us off. Should we thankful or what? We wouldn't want to pay a cent not even a single cent for what we did NOT do.

Lesson well learned, ALWAYS COUNT THE INSTANT NOODLES AND ETC provided in your room and take photos of them.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank screamingmonster
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 December 2013

After travelling from Nepal, this hotel was a amazing!!

Clean sheets, king sized bed, large TV, hot shower, free shampoo & soaps, pool on the roof (It's pretty small) and a revolving rooftop restaurant on the top floor (Good Food, but overpriced)

Wifi is available at a cost (but they forgot to charge me for it)

The hotel is situated in Chinatown, so there is a lot of shopping. (Mainly pirated latest release movies) The night markets are about a 10 minute tuk tuk drive away.

The only downside to this hotel was the assumption that everyone who stayed there had a lot of money and I found a lot of the tours/drivers/massage options they had on offer were a little overpriced.

Worth the stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Mel_Syd_Australia
Ang Mo Kio, Singapore
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I usually stays in Chinatown Hotel due to the good svc ... had went there 4-7 times a year for a business meeting or so.The last visit was horrible and was charged 2 towels for 1000Thai Bahts saying its too extremely dirty and un-reusable as a reason... The towels were on the floor wet which is next to the bath tub,so is that our problem? Breakfast already lame enough and by charging these in..i am totally disappointed.Me and my wife agrees that this hotel is no longer our list to stay in the future.To those who are new to this hotel...we think u can avoid as much as you can..

Room Tip: If i help travellers to choose here,i must be knocking my head with a hammer
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Siambuddhas

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

The first time travel to Bangkok, since we have very limited budget. I am so impressed with the level of care and hospitality this hotel has provided. We took taxi back from Banglumpoo, our shopping trip with lots of bags to carry. While getting off the taxi, my friend drops her wallet together with our passport in the taxi. We ask the hotel to help us called that taxi, they asked if we remember the license plate and color. Of course not – I do not read Thai. However, the reservation desk goes check the taxi’s license plate on CCTV and make a call to the taxi company. It took them several hours to talk to taxi driver and the company. Finally we got everything back. I couldn’t imagine loosing my passport while in the country where I do not speak the language. I will definitely come back to this hotel. The room we stayed is very reasonable, great location. I don’t mind the noise that much since it is so easy to access many place. We can observe the everyday life of people around in the middle of China Town, very unique place. Love it!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maria c
Brisbane
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We wanted to stay close to the action in Chinatown and chose this hotel as it seemed to fit the bill and was a reasonable price for a hotel in this area. As we had our daughter with us in the room they upgraded us into a very large room which had heaps of space for an extra bed. Everything seemed clean and well kept apart from the fact that the cramped toilet and shower area did not match the space of the living area. We found the staff most helpful and considerate during our stay and met our expectations regarding service. The hotel would of been quite grand in its early days but is a little tired. We found the location very good as many of the small lane ways that make up this fascinating area start a block or two from the hotel and there are many places to eat either in restaurants or street food close by. While this would not be a hotel we would usually select if you are wanting to experience Chinatown in all its fullness this is a good budget option.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Chinatownhotel, Front Office Manager at Chinatown Hotel, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Please accept my sincere gratitude for both kind words and some rather constructive criticism expressed in your comment you kindly decided to share here on Tripadvisor.

It delights me to hear you have appreciated the staff most helpful and considerate during our stay.

In regards to your comment concerning the shower area did not match the space of the living area. I truly regret to hear it has caused inconvenience to you

In the meantime, my team and I remain hopeful your next travels to Bangkok will follow in near future, and please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly once again on your next visit.

Management Team
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I have read some bad comments and some good comments below but decide to book the room anyway with my limited budget. Overall I found the hotel service is decent and worth for the price we paid for. The room is clean. We got pretty much everything we need – clean towel, soap, air cons is working. Got to be honest that we do expect for the worst but it turn out surprising and not as bad as we thought it would be. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who has limited budget and would like to stay in the right locations. Staff are very friendly. We have a good time shopping around Sampeng area and find very good food in 5 mins walk. Can’t ask for more.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Lamposis
Dear Guest,

Greeting from Chinatown Hotel

Thank you for your comment full of kind words expressed on behalf of our service and hospitality you received during your recent stay at Chinatown Hotel.

Allow me to express my gratitude for doing us the honor of arranging your very special day At Chinatown Hotel. Please contact hotel directly tell us your name and (Do you have other information like passport ID )

Management Team