“Excellent Chinese Cuisine.”
Review of Chinatown Hotel

Ranked #420 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 27 May 2014

After a beautiful pilgrimage to Golden Buddha Temple, we found ourselves strolling into Chinatown down Yaowaraj Road. This menu jumped out at me (as it had a separate vegetarian section) & it being a Sunday afternoon, why not to enjoy a nice Sunday lunch?

We ordered French Fries / Onion Rings / Chinese Broccoli & Stir Fry Yellow Noodles with Veg + sides of Boiled Rice. The food I thought was fantastic, very well presented & very fresh; one could taste the tongue tingling with ample amounts of chi once inside the palette. The sauce with the Chinese Broccoli was delicious, nice to have a respite from the heat of Thai dishes & actually taste the food + textures, rather than be over powered by nothing else but Chili. The Onion Rings were wicked, huge even - never seen Onion Rings that size in a long time! Stir Fry Yellow Noodles with Veg was also enjoyable, little bland on the spice side but that is me only being particular to my own tastes – one has to be aware the Chinese don’t use a great deal of spices in their food.

Service was a little slow (not on delivery of food to table) but when attending to the smaller details; however, the staff were very friendly & most polite. The ambiance of the restaurant was very accommodating, splendid décor & very cool / refreshing – was nice to escape the intense summer heat in BKK. Overall, I’d recommend this restaurant to anyone (sorry, I haven’t stayed here so cannot comment on the accommodation).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Trent A
Chinatownhotel, Manager at Chinatown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Trent A,

First of all, allow me to sincerely thank you for your generous words and for sharing your thoughts with fellow travelers on Tripadvisor.
Furthermore, it is a pleasure learning your dining experiences in Restaurant were enjoyable and their excellent cuisine was enjoyed. Moreover, when I receive feedback about our talented staff I get extra excited as they are the heart of the hotel.
My team and I will be more than happy to welcome you in the near future, and if you require any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us ( info@chinatownhotel.co.th )
Until then, I wish you all the best!

Management

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed here for a few nights when I first arrived in Bangkok. The staff is very nice and helpful and the lobby areas is attractive (even though there was some construction going on back). The breakfast (not included in the price) was very good and they offered both Asian style and Western style meals. The location is convenient; in Chinatown with easy access to the subway, train station and the tourist sights. I was not overly thrilled with the room. I did stay in the dorm rooms, so that could have been a big part of it. For a hostel it was clean, however there was some sort of funk in the room. I'm sure it was from several people sleeping in the dorm. Knowing now how far Western currency stretches in Thailand, I'd certainly opt for higher end, however true backpackers and those on a budgets should consider this location.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Chinatownhotel, Manager at Chinatown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Grizinator

Allow me to sincerely thank you for your review full of words about your previous stay and for sharing your valued thoughts at our official webpage for fellow travelers.

Feeling like home – that the sentiment we constantly aim to evoke in our guests and nothing delights me more than to hear that our guests feel safe and well taken care of while at The Chinatown Hotel Bangkok!

Thank you for placing your trust in our hospitality, I sincerely hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not so distant future. Until then, please do not hesitate to contact me or anyone in my team if there is anything we can assist you with.

Management

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I'd you want China town, yes it's in China town, but that's where the good review ends.
The rooms are average and over priced. And under no circumstances take any additional added extras as you will be stung hard. We foolishly put in half a bag of washing and were charged 788 baht. More than the value of the few shirts, jocks and socks.
Look elsewhere for better value

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Stephen B
Reviewed 17 April 2014

There is polite staff and ample breakfast. Very clean rooms. Fantastic firm mattress, aircon good (switch to high and close bath door)..Central location. Always come back. Wifi is provided free of charge. I thing enough said, if that is 200 words, butn I can go on, Two minus for travel review to ask for 200 words, thats not effective

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here only one night - in the standard room. The lobby made an impression on us, but once we got out of the lift on the 5th floor - it was a bit like walking out into a hallway from communist times. The room was just as simple with a tiny bathroom (you could literally rest your head on the sink while sitting on the toilet;)), but for the price of 1300B one could say this was to be expected. The staff at the reception was nice and spoke English (which isn't such an obvious thing in Thailand!). They agreed to a later check-out (2pm), which was nice. The hotel is situated in the centre of Chinatown and close to many restaurants, food stalls, etc. Overall - if you're looking for a simple place to stay with a good location - this is it. If you're looking for more, just upgrade your room:)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 April 2014

While in college, I worked for a few hotels in Seattle, Washington such as the Four Seasons Olympic, Hilton, Sheraton; thus, my experience enable me to recognize 'Great Service' in this industry. On and off for the past few years, I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for about 2 months, and I just couldn't thank the entire staff enough for the service I received throughout my stay in all aspects!

Just an example here; If you're a fan of the NFL, you'd know the feeling I had when scrambling to search for a place to watch my Seahawks playing in the Super Bowl by which the pregame started at 3am; so, local sports bars, restaurants and even other adjacent hotels all turned were very inconvenient not mentioning those safety issues that due to the political demonstrations; Nina, she was kind enough to go way out of her way to have the channel that showed both games Conference Championship and SB in My Very Own Room without any additional charge!! Thank you, Nina! I'll definitely see you again on my next charitable trip and more!! :)

Yours, truly,
Henry

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank HenryAgent007
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for 5 nights being our 3rd visit.The biggest pull factor is the excellent location in Chinatown. The lobby and reception area has been very well renovated. The rooms are undergoing renovation gradually. Great value for money for basic comfort. Staff are courteous and helpful. Breakfast is simple but decent.One area of improvement would be to have the air conditioning running in the room when power is automatically switched off when guests leave the room with the room key.TV signal strength is poor for some channels. Overall , a safe and comfortable stay.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple