New Merry V Guesthouse
US$115
US$126
US$113
  • Pool
All reviewsshared bathroomstayed hereguest housethree nightsstreet foodrambuttridesk
Reviewed 28 October 2013

In my six months in Thailand, I've stayed in some rough places, but this one was the worst, hands down.

The price is cheap, but there are similar priced places in the area, of much better quality.

My main complaint is the staff. They are so rude. They made you feel bad for asking simple questions.
Our room had a shared bathroom, in which the water was freezing. I know it's nice to have a cool shower in Bangkok, but it was unbearably cold. Also, there were no plug sockets in the room or outside, which meant phones etc had to be left downstairs to charge - neither safe nor practical. The rooms were so small, you could barely turn round, with the most uncomfortable, camp-bed type beds.
But above all, the horrible staff just made this place unbearable!

Avoid it like the plague!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank RhiRa
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I'm not a complainer but have also traveled enough to find the good in a place... The rooms remind me of a prison room, the service staff made me feel guilty for asking simple questions, no free wifi, no breakfast, no delights.

We stayed here out of pure exhaustion... And for that, it works. Still cost is 750 baht a night for a private double.

Ugh, I'm annoyed even thinking about it. So much better value everywhere/anywhere else!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Melissa C
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

The first night in Bangkok we stayed at Erawan which is a totally competent place but at nearly twice the price and no view so we moved here the second night.

Room 144 at Merry V is a gem, it has natural light and you can see some high rises as well as the cable bridge. Not bad for 420 B double with air conditioning and private bath.

On to of that, it has a balcony next to the room that isn't private but nobody else came during our stay.

Otherwise, it is very basic room with friendly staff. Towel service is 20, wifi is 20 for an hour, 60 for 24 hours, and 120 for 72 hours.

If you can get one of the upper floor rooms like room 144, don't pass it up. The other rooms evaluate on a case by case basis.

1  Thank velowander
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Spent one night here. Wouldn't spend two. Wifi didn't work and for 60bht per day costs we had to persuade for our money back ten minutes after we paid for the wifi. Also, they don't tell you the wifi can only be used by one person at one time.

Upon asking to see the room I was given a key and pointed upstairs. Every other hotel, hostel etc has always showed me into the room but in this case I had to climb four floors stopping on each floor to find my room. In the end I had to ask a guest who showed me. The hallway was dark and upon eventually getting into the room I couldn't find the slot for the key for power. Another trip to ask the helpful guest and she showed me. All of this would have been a breeze had the many members of staff present offer to show me their room. Customer service is not a priority here.

Wouldn't stay again but it's cheap.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SeasickSausage
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This place is cheap, no frills, close to the action and I recommend it if you don't want to spend more than you have to on a room in Bangkok. I will stay there each time I go through Bangkok en route to nicer places!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo