“OK - cheap, good location but small rooms”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bangkok
New Merry V Guesthouse
Ranked #279 of 1,194 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Manchester
“OK - cheap, good location but small rooms”
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Room was small but ok for the price we paid. I would definately get a room with a/c in Bangkok as it can get very hot and stuffy. We only had a fan in this guesthouse which didn't do an awful lot apart from move the hot air around the room. Location-wise Merry V is ideal especially for backpackers. For a large guesthouse it was quiet too. There are better places for better prices nearby.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Korean first
ta23
Reviewed 1 December 2009

We heard about this place from a friend who stayed there and said good things about it. We stayed three nights in Bangkok and had a excellent room with A/C and cable (2 beds) for 550 Baht. Then we came back and stayed another night a week later and got the room next door which had pretty worn beds, which was less than comfortable. As others have said, get a room on the backside because they are quieter. Staff was very helpful with any questions we had. It has a decent location, near the night market and khaosan Road (though close to an hour from either airport).

• Stayed November 2009
Hampshire
Reviewed 12 August 2009

I stayed here alone for 3 days whilst waiting for friends. I'd moved from Koh San as I couldnt stand the grubby rooms and constant noise. For only 100BHT extra (400BHT total) I had an immaculate room with its own bathroom, TV and aircon. As I recall it even had a fridge. After staying in 7 or 8 other guesthouses in Bangkok and looking at several more at similar prices this one wins by miles. In fact so highly do I reccommend it that next month I am returning to Bangkok on a far higher budget than last time but I will still use this accommodation as I was so impressed last time.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
D.C.
Reviewed 1 May 2007

My husband and I loved this place. It's really small but really clean
and fresh. Nice beds, great air con, tv, little frig, nice shower. If you're in Bangkok to get out and see stuff and don't need a big fancy place it's perfect. If you're on a tight budget but don't want to sleep like a backpacker anymore (in dirty, iffy places) it's perfect. It's located just around the corner from the loud and touristy section and gives you a nice distance from the chaos. If you like the touristy stuff you're still right there. Close to lots of sights that you can walk to and across the street from a riverboat dock.

Stayed April 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 August 2004

If you do get one of the cheap rooms ( no bathroom or air-con) ask if they have one on the end or with a window. I have stayed at this place a couple of times because it's close to alot of the attractions and it's easy to get public transport to other places of interest. But, the first time I had an end room - with a window - the second time I was in the middle of a row of small rooms and the window overlooked a shaft that runs up the center of the building. There was also another window directly opposite mine. less than a meter away, so privacy was an issue. Definitely a good budget choice. Be aware, the travel agent downstairs seems to keep irregular hours. I was trying to change a ticket I bought with them and they just didn't open and no-one could tell me why. Perhaps it was a one off - a family emergency or similiar. The girl who runs the internet shop is extremely helpful with anything you need - internet, ph. calls, scanning, printing. It would be nice if the girls at the desk smiled once in awhile when I came in and out though.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 June 2004

We were hesitant about staying here because we couldn't find any reviews. So I am writing this for any else in the same situation. Overall we found it a nice and easy place to get our footing in Bangkok. The rooms in the guesthouse are very basic - just a bottom sheet and small blanket, no towels and no toilet paper (the norm in non-western Thailand) but no matter, it was still a nice place to stay. We "splurged" for our own bath and a/c which cost 400Baht (about 10US$) but you could have stayed there for as little as 150 Baht. There is a restaurant on the ground floor with very good food, an ATM, fast internet service and a travel agent (though not an "official" one) and the staff are friendly and helpful. It made our first few days in Bangkok easier. It's also near some major sites like the Grand Palace, Wat Pho and the National Art Gallery. It's also near KoSan Road but far enough away that it is in calmer surroundings.

• Stayed July 2005