I spent 6 nights in Thrive and it was pretty good, 4 nights in the standard room & 2 night in the superior standard. it works out about 28SGD per night with attached bathroom and queen size bed.
1. i love the interior look & feel which is industrial + it is true to the photos you see by the hostel & other travelers. what you see is what you get.
2. most of the staffs are pretty unfriendly (stern face, no smile), but they will still go ahead and help if you ask with a smile but dont expect anything more. HOWEVER there is this 1 guy who is super friendly and helpful, speaks decent english and is ever ready to assist, so i guess it depends on who is your receptionist for the day.
3. if you got a little more budget, i suggest you go for the superior room as the standard room is really tiny (and i mean really tiny for an asian lady). it cannot be comfy for 2 paxs, it is extremely tight in term of spacing and i am staying alone. But as soon as i moved into the superior room, it felt pretty decent, with decent space to move around. the layout of the room is more sensible too.
4. for light sleeper, you may want to consider bringing ear plug because you do get noise from traffic and some thumping music from i dont know where. it didnt bother me, but you might want to note.
5. the hostel provides towel (face & bath, 2 of each), shampoo & body wash, hair dryer and kettle and i LOVE the towel. they are nice thick comfy towel, that kept me happy for 6 nights. the linen are fresh, i can still smell the freshness of the soap after 2 nights. so in term of cleanliness & comfort i would give it 4 stars! the pillows are a little disappointing though, it's kinda thin and light but that didnt bother me too much, i just stacked them and it's fine.
6. hot water is running fine, water pressure is decent, nothing to complain about but do take note that you have to let the tap run for a couple of minutes before the water get hot. other than that all good.
7. location wise, it is really near the sala daeng BTS. it's like 5-10mins walk. i wouldnt recommend luggage lugging kinda walk because the pavement isnt that friendly but if you're on backpack that is fine. the location is a little discreet and there is hardly any branding on the facade so good luck with that. once you figure out the location it's fine. i do realized that not many taxi drivers is familiar with this place (road name: rama 4) so it is better for you to get the staff to write the hostel number & address in thai just in case the taxi get really lost.
in summary - i highly recommend this hostel for budget travel. it is new, fresh, clean, convenient. i'll come back here again be it alone/ as couple/ or with a group of friends (not for family). give it a try :)
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, HostelWorld, Hotels.com, Expedia and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Thrive The Hostel Bangkok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.