“Friendly hotel in interesting area”

River View Guest House
Ranked #325 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Aalborg, Denmark
“Friendly hotel in interesting area”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Good price, friendly, helpful staff. Nice and big rooms with great view of the river., clean but old. Stayed there with our 1,5 year old. Good rooftop restaurant. Love the area, very authentic and away from the crowds of khao san. Close to river boat transport.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Carina G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 9 July 2014

RiverView Guesthouse is a very unique small guest house/hotel in a very special location. I had a chance to stay in this hotel for 2 nights in a dragon room. The room itself is in good size. We like the room and the service of the staff but our biggest complaint was the bathroom as the door was not working properly and it looks very old, plus the room itself was not that clean. The bed is very comfortable though and also the TV works well.

One of the highlight of this hotel that cannot miss is their restaurant River Vibe on the 8th floor, they have the most amazing view of the ChaoPhraya river and chill out area on the rooftop is very special and perfect for photo spot. The restaurant managers are amazingly friendly and helpful. The food is great and the mixed fruit shake is one of my most favorite!

The reason that I gave this hotel only 3 stars was based on the quality of the room and its cleanliness as I understand that there were some construction/renovation at that time. Overall, I'm very impressed with this unique hotel and I would recommend everyone to visit, at least for lunch or dinner at the River Vibe.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The guesthouse has surely seen better days and the room interior was not the best (we stayed in their City Delight room) bugs could be found in the bathroom but the fan was very much needed so if you're thinking about staying in one of their rooms that do not include a fan, I'd advise you to have water beside your bed and ready yourself for the heatwave that will strike you in the morning.
The location is somewhat shady and it was difficult for most tuk-tuk drivers to find their way to the hotel, even with the hotel map for guidance.

However, me and my friend stayed here for the duration of our time in Bangkok and we were definitely not disappointed. The staff was incredibly welcoming and the manager was very nice to us and helped us out with translations and questions we had about the city. For the average backpacker this is a great place to stay. It's close to the Golden Buddha temple and China town! Me and my friend enjoyed our stay here but it definitely is a backpack guesthouse or at least for people who are used to low-budget places.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a fan. It helps immensely. Plus the refrigerator was very useful to cool your wat...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Saint Peter, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Riverview guesthouse was first recommended to me back in the 90's but my wife and I stayed here for the first time last year. When we came back to Bangkok again this year there was no question as to where we would stay. Now admittedly we booked the sweet breeze rooms (6-7 floor river side) and while more expensive than other accommodation, I don't think you can beat the total package for the price. I can't say enough good things about the staff. The front desk staff were incredibly helpful whenever we interacted with them, which was daily. The cleaning staff were always lovely and did a great job of taking care of our room. The restaurant staff was also wonderful and we enjoyed several meals there. I used the stairs every day, and so I saw most of the hotel daily, and I always felt the guesthouse was well maintained. Without a doubt we will stay here again. It's hard to describe the enchanting feeling of watching the Chao Phraya first wake up in the morning, then settle down again for the night. A sight not to be missed. The location is also a plus for us. Close express boat access, but a nice quiet neighborhood all make for a perfectly pleasant stay.

Room Tip: We asked for the 7th floor for the best views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rbirr
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I first stayed at the River View in 1992 and over the years have often recommended it to friends but with all the lodging available in Bangkok now, there are many better possibilities at lower prices. To be sure, the location is excellent (once you figure out how to get there) and the terrace restaurant has a terrific view---but anyone can go there.
The higher (more $$) rooms with balcony---5th, 6th floors---are quiet, large, a bit spartan, come with no amenities other than a bar of soap and also lovely views. Except for the first hours of our 4-day stay, the elevator was always out-of-service.
The reception was part helpful, part sullen and always understaffed. Then again, maybe everyone else was too as one day (we were gone from 9-18h) we came back to find the beds unmade, trash cans full, no toilet paper.....
As noted in other reviews, the hallways are shockingly unkempt.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank facinho
River View G, Owner at River View Guest House, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Dear Khun facinho,

Thank you for taking your time to give us review. As for the elevator, please sincerely accept my apology for your inconvenience. At that time, we wished to fix the problem as soon as possible, but our elevator maintenance contractor was shorted of staff as well. And due to the safety concern, we only left to last option of shutting the lift down a few days. With the understanding of our guest difficulties, we had our staffs to help carry guests’ luggage up and down. To prevent further run down, we have already scheduled to install a new lift body on May 1-15th this year. This is to ensure that we take the lift issue seriously in term of both safety and convenience to our guests.

As for the reception, we only have one staff per shift. I will make sure they will be more welcoming to all guests. Lastly, for the unmade room, it’s my fault that day that I had too long staff meeting causing our housekeeping delay in making the room. Sorry for that too.

Best Regards,
Khun Ae

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 13 March 2014

To describe the River View Guest House as disgusting makes it sound misleadingly charming. Flea ridden. Filthy. Rancid. Acrid. Rotten. Contagious. Toxic. Repugnant...am I painting a clear picture?

It is unclear whether or not the room they put me in (646!) was even a legitimate guest room. Where to begin? Well, for starters there was an industrial style, outdoor, standing ashtray outside the door of the room that may or may not ever have been emptied. As you enter the room your nostrils are assaulted with the stench of hot garbage and stagnant pee. There is no air conditioning, at least not in that room. The mattress is not a mattress, but a box spring. Oh, and the sheets are splattered in questionable stains of what one can only assume are every imaginable type of bodily fluid...a show with everything but Yul Brynner, indeed! I would only recommend making contact with this bed if you have a full body condom. Having not packed a full body condom (what was I thinking?), I covered the bed in plastic shopping bags and laid on them. So far I don't think I contracted any STDs, but I guess I should give it a few days to see if I present any symptoms.

The bathroom is literally a toilet and a shower head attached to the wall. No shower curtain or separation from "shower" and "toilet". Thank heavens for small mercies, because the toilet was so dirty I was at least able to give it a good spray with the shower to get rid of the stray pubic hair stuck to the seat. Honestly, you are probably better off peeing in the drain on the floor...or possibly on the bed as others have undoubtedly done before you.

When I complained to the front desk staff I was met with a reply that can only be translated as "meh".

If you have made it this far in the review you probably think I am picky and unreasonable. Not so. I travel frequently for work and pleasure, and my tastes are quite simple. I have never felt compelled to write a review before, but when the most basic standards of cleanliness and hygiene are non-existent I feel it is my duty as citizen of the world to warn others!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Joan J
Dear Khun Sheila J,

After reading your review, I immediately called a staff meeting to tell them that we have to sincerely thank you for all your feedback, as you have taken your time will help us raising our standard and make us better. Please sincerely accept my apology for everything. The warning was given to the responsible staffs. The stained or worn and torn sheets were removed from stocks, and we are on the process to purchasing new sheets and towels. To address the cleanliness issue, we are going to have a housekeeping training on 1-3rd May for the whole team. For the mattress, I can guarantee you that it is a good quality mattress, not a box-spring. However, the softness might not suit well to every guest’s preference. As for the bed bugs described in your picture, this is very serious issue. We have no report from other guests staying in this room, and find none from our investigation. We have pest control come in every 2 months and have the policy to throwing away all furniture if this issue arises. So please understand that such description might be inappropriate and misleading to other guests.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Best Regards,
Khun Ae
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This place is great. A friend and I stayed in some new rooms which were essentially just blocked off areas of the stairwell so to be honest I wouldn't recommend them. But they were dirt cheap and having peaked in other rooms they looked lovely.

What makes this place awesome is the rooftop terrace with restaurant and bar. It has a beautiful view over the city and is right near the water. A beer at sunset in that setting made up for the rooms day in day out. And the staff were very accommodating, letting my friend and I lie around on their lounges all day when our hangovers were particularly bad!

Would recommend for sure!

• Stayed March 2013