“Prejudice ruins this pub.”
Review of Gullivers

Gullivers
Ranked #62 of 151 Nightlife in Bangkok
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I visited Bangkok with two female friends to enjoy a long weekend off work during the recent February public holiday. We decided to visit Gullivers to enjoy some cocktails and to play some pool. When we arrived in the pool area it was empty apart from two groups of men playing. The area was maintained by some female staff who monitored the pool tables. It was clear that they were irritated by the presence of a group of females playing pool.

They were very pushy when we were ordering cocktails, took their time bringing our change and were also pushy when waiting for us to pay them for the pool table. We had about 4 games between us when we before told that we had to finish up because other people wanted to play. Meanwhile around us the group of men who were there before us continued playing undisturbed.

Whilst we were playing we felt rushed to finish, the staff started clearing our table making it very clear they wanted us to hurry up and move. After my friend potted the black ball we decided we would quickly pot the few remaining balls. However the woman monitoring the pool tables came over and kicked us off. Meanwhile the groups of men around us carried on playing undisturbed. It seems that this is a bar which is heavily targeted at men. There are lots of beer, pool tables and women looking to pick up a male customer. Male customers are left undisturbed where as women are pushed about to make room for them.

We were hoping to spend the night drinking cocktails and playing pool but instead we found ourselves in a place that was unwelcoming, rude and sexist. I note from other reviews that the place has also been accused of being racist. A prejudiced pub is not attractive, sort it out. I'm certainly not coming back.

4  Thank Jessica D

Reviewed 14 February 2013

I went there one saturday afternoon and seen 2 irls there whom I had seen many times before there I guess they are freelancers, well I know they are have seen them leave with a few men one named Lak or lek offered me a threesome with her friend whom I can not remember her name but very nice thin girl, Lak had a pin in her nose, I never took them up on the offer but regretted this since, has nay one else been approached by these girls? Were they any good?

4  Thank James H
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Gullivers in Sukhumvit was close to my hotel and was my start point most nights, friendly bar staff and seemed to have no restrictions with entry. Always found it quite chilled out. There are a fair few girls freelancing but no hassle. Food there was fine too, probably farang style Thai. Places are constantly changing, but this was my experience a few years back.
Don't know much about the one in Kho San, but probaly geared up for foreigners as its in the back-packer area of BKK.

1  Thank MIkey_1958
Reviewed 29 January 2013 via mobile

Came here for dinner with my girlfriend after doing my grocery shopping @ foodland, wasn't a mistake. Rude staff that have no idea what there doing, disgusting food, this place has real problems. I will never return..

5  Thank Lonewolf19777
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I am a female, American Kindergarten teacher of Latin American decent and I was with my female friend from South Africa who happens to be BLACK. We were turned away at the door this past Thursday because the doormen thought I was Indian and because my friend is black. They said we were not allowed inside and only Thais and white people were allowed. I waved my AMERICAN passport in their face and they told me to leave. This place is a total roach dive tourist trap in Khao Sarn Road, the only people who go there are tourists or people who need a place to stop to urinate before they go party somewhere better. Do not go to this racist establishment unless you are living in the 1800's and like to hang out in tacky Nazi wastelands.

6  Thank TracyVanity