“Plenty of better alternatives in BKK” 3 of 5 bubbles

Gullivers
Ranked #68 of 145 Nightlife in Bangkok
Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Plenty of better alternatives in BKK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

Visited the place on my first trip to BKK after a long time of not traveling as I had heard a lot about it. So I wanted to form my own opinion and simply watch the scene.
Though I appear to have gotten a much better treatment than most of the other reviewers, I will also not return.
The food to me was average and ok but there are surely plenty of other places in Bangkok where the food is not only better and tastier but also much cheaper than at Gullivers.
Though it was quite interesting to watch the scene for a while, it's nothing that I would call a 'must have experience'.
To confirm the sentiment in this feedback track, spend your time and Baht at a place where you are more likely to get value for it.

Visited November 2012

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Prejudice ruins this pub.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

I visited Bangkok with two female friends to enjoy a long weekend off work during the recent February public holiday. We decided to visit Gullivers to enjoy some cocktails and to play some pool. When we arrived in the pool area it was empty apart from two groups of men playing. The area was maintained by some female staff who monitored the pool tables. It was clear that they were irritated by the presence of a group of females playing pool.

They were very pushy when we were ordering cocktails, took their time bringing our change and were also pushy when waiting for us to pay them for the pool table. We had about 4 games between us when we before told that we had to finish up because other people wanted to play. Meanwhile around us the group of men who were there before us continued playing undisturbed.

Whilst we were playing we felt rushed to finish, the staff started clearing our table making it very clear they wanted us to hurry up and move. After my friend potted the black ball we decided we would quickly pot the few remaining balls. However the woman monitoring the pool tables came over and kicked us off. Meanwhile the groups of men around us carried on playing undisturbed. It seems that this is a bar which is heavily targeted at men. There are lots of beer, pool tables and women looking to pick up a male customer. Male customers are left undisturbed where as women are pushed about to make room for them.

We were hoping to spend the night drinking cocktails and playing pool but instead we found ourselves in a place that was unwelcoming, rude and sexist. I note from other reviews that the place has also been accused of being racist. A prejudiced pub is not attractive, sort it out. I'm certainly not coming back.

Visited February 2013
4 Thank Jessica D
Brisbane
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Girls”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

I went there one saturday afternoon and seen 2 irls there whom I had seen many times before there I guess they are freelancers, well I know they are have seen them leave with a few men one named Lak or lek offered me a threesome with her friend whom I can not remember her name but very nice thin girl, Lak had a pin in her nose, I never took them up on the offer but regretted this since, has nay one else been approached by these girls? Were they any good?

Visited December 2012
4 Thank James H
London, England, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Pick the right one”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

Gullivers in Sukhumvit was close to my hotel and was my start point most nights, friendly bar staff and seemed to have no restrictions with entry. Always found it quite chilled out. There are a fair few girls freelancing but no hassle. Food there was fine too, probably farang style Thai. Places are constantly changing, but this was my experience a few years back.
Don't know much about the one in Kho San, but probaly geared up for foreigners as its in the back-packer area of BKK.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank MIkey_1958
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Honestly don't bother”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013 via mobile

Came here for dinner with my girlfriend after doing my grocery shopping @ foodland, wasn't a mistake. Rude staff that have no idea what there doing, disgusting food, this place has real problems. I will never return..

5 Thank Lonewolf19777