“Retro-fab 60's charm”

Ranked #678 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Phuket, Thailand
“Retro-fab 60's charm”
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I read the other reviews that say this is a dump and can't help but wonder why these people didn't book the Mandarin Oriental and pay the corresponding room rates.

The fact is, I just got back from my first stay at the Miami and found it to be a slightly run-down (part of its charm) yet clean hotel. Maybe it's nostalgia, but from the moment you walk in and see the telephone switchboard dating from the early 60's, you're suddenly in a time warp. The receptionist spoke perfect English, was courteous, and helpful. The swimming pool is big, crystal clear, and a welcome relief from the Bangkok heat.

I used to walk past this place many times when I worked in Bangkok. Now that I'm living in Phuket, I had the opportunity to stay at this inexpensive little gem with a prime Sukhumvit location during a weekend getaway. I'll be back. To the flamers - stay away and let me keep this little gem to myself.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Enzo P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Indonesian first
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Discourteous, incompetent staff overseen by a tyrannical management team utterly devoid of social skills; makes Fawlty Towers seem positively idyllic. As for the rooms - decaying, malodorous relics of Vietnam-era R'n'R flops. The clientele consists of dissolute troglodytes, assorted bums and bewildered tourists wondering on earth they were dumb enough to actually pay hard cash for enduring such a tip.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank reynard f
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 16 October 2011

The Miami Hotel is a sleezy hotel. It could be charming but especially the Chinese owner is a pain. He got very aggressive when I complained at the reception that the cleaners woke me up in the morning again (knocking at my door, trying to open it with a key) and that my complaint to the staff the day before obviously had no effect. Besides that: The rooms are very basic, the tv and the fridge are both in very bad shape. The phone does not work, sometimes the aircon fails. There is a constant buzzing noise from some electrical wires in the room, which is extremely annoying. Housekeeping is very poor, one time I ran out of toilet paper. So, basically you get a 900 Baht deal, add another 100 Baht for internet, which should be included I believe - don't expect something great. And, of course, never mind working ladies coming in and out the hotel, since it is in one of the bigger red light districts of BKK.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank JC D
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 September 2011

This is a sleezy hotel. I like it like that! Please don't stay here if you are a family or an uptight farang couple. Staff has improved...especially the Burmese pool boys! The old maid on the second floor is a problem. She will wake you up (hello, I just went to bed!) and beg for a tip. When we didn't tip her, she was extremely rude...pounded on the door at 11 am.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Nevillebartos
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights as we had to stop in Bangkok for a few days. We found the hotel in the Lonely Planet guide and I'm glad we stayed here. The room was large enough, and we were very excited to have a bath (after two months of traveling and only coming across cold showers!). There was a television with plenty of channels, although there were only a few English channels which were both news. The hotel also has a pool which was lovely to be in given the heat of Bangkok. When it came time for us to move on the hotel staff also helped us to sort out further travel arrangements, and we found them useful and helpful during our stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Visakhapatnam, India
Reviewed 26 July 2011

the hotel is at Nana very near to the shopping .very old hotel .I would not advice this hotel.The lift is switched off in the nights .To much light and one cannnot sleep well
The rooms are big but very very basic.However all the entertainments are near walking distance

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank csrao57
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2011

We spent some time in Bangkok as my wife had to have surgery for her sinus problems whilst we were on our 2 month holiday in Thailand. We found the Miami hotel advertised on the bottom of a curry house leaflet where we all ate some days before. The price for two adults and one child was 1200 bahts & the marketing on the leaflet was fantastic. We checked in and the staff seemed very unfriendly and hostile. When we got to our room on the third floor, the first thing we noticed were the vintage air conditioner units blasting away like rocket engines. They had no controls on them so I presume they were operated from the reception desk. The beds were very soft and uncomfy, I awoke at around 1am the following morning with something sharp sticking in my back. My daughter and myself were covered in bites from bugs or some insects. I awoke my wife (who is Thai) and asked her to telephone down to the reception to change the room. The Phone in our room did not work, but just crackled. We all got up and decided to go down to the reception. The lift did not work so we took the stairs. We saw 60’s signs saying Love, peace etc. The lady at the reception desk argued with me about changing the room and said we would have to wait until the morning. My wife spoke in Thai and the receptionist got a porter to change our room. The second room was even worse. Lights held on by one thread of wiring, fridge did not work, beds soft and uncomfy and a Whirling / Grinding noise coming from the Air-conditioning units that had no controls on them. I could not wait until the morning when we all checked out.

We asked a taxi driver to take us somewhere and he recommended the Star Suite on 81 Sukhumvit Soi 15 . For 1100 bahts for three of us it was the best value accommodation in Bangkok for luxury , good customer service. I wished we found out about this place first

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family