“Good for the money”

Ranked #675 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
Bangkok
“Good for the money”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I have stayed here twice. For years I ignored it on my visits to Bangkok because it looks old and sleazy. And it is. But for 1,000 baht a night it offers very good value. I tried it when my usual low price hotels in Bangkok were all full. The hotel is from the 60's. And it shows. But from the friendly staff on reception to the bellboy with excellent English (and memory, he remembered me from my previous visit), the hotel makes you feel welcome. In other words it doesn't try to be something it's not. There is a large swimming pool and a small sun deck with loungers, tables and chairs. The room features a bath tub. Wonderful after a hot sweaty day. And there is hot water. Rather slow to run, but hot nonetheless.

The bed is springy, not hard, perhaps a bit too soft, but I slept well both times. The TV is tiny and the reception is poor. but who wants to go to Bangkok to watch TV? The toiletries are minimalistic, Tiny shards of soap. Not the stuff you take home as a souvenir of your stay - but sufficient. After all, this is a 1,000 baht hotel.

The electrics in the bathroom are best not mentioned. The wiring is haphazard to say the least, and my ancient hot water heater looked like it would fall off the wall. I touched it to see if it would. But it was rock solid. And the wires are well above reach and of splashing water. So I suppose that's ok.

If I had any complaint, it's the old air conditioner. So noisy. I still slept once I got accustomed to it, but its a bit like camping next to Niagra Falls. And it was an on or off situation. no knobs on the air conditioner, presumably to stop people turning it down to very expensive to run lows. I'd say it was 25 degrees. Pretty well perfect.

There is a large fridge befitting a 5 star hotel. But it's empty, not even free water. A very expensive TV stand! But if you are staying a few days you can fill it with beers from the 7-11 store next door. Bars and restaurants are within crawling distance.

For 1,000 baht it's good value with a pool and a bath tub. The Star Inn nearby is cheaper, the rooms are marginally better to look at, but no pool, no bath tub and no blankets, just a thin linen sheet. Down the road in soi 22 is The Pelikan guest house. Another of my haunts. Cheaper than Miami with a better bed, but still no bathtub or swimming pool.

Try the Miami. If you're not too proud, you'll like it.

Room Tip: Ask for one that opens out on to the pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 6 April 2013

This is an update of my 2010 review 'Bangkok  Classic', this time I'm sitting in Hotel Miami at the time of posting.  Since I stayed in 2010, I've enjoyed reading many other Trip Advisor reviews of the hotel.  Some guests seem to love it, others vow never to return, but no-one says it was boring.  As before, I like it, and I'm pleased to report that very little has changed.  I was a bit sad at first that the coffee bar had gone, but pleased that it had turned into a 7/11 store which seems to stay open 24 hours a day.  A useful addition.  Other excellent improvements are the room safe and wi fi internet service at 100 baht per day.  For more detail please feel free to read my earlier article.

Room Tip: Don't worry about getting a better room than other guests. The rooms are fairly equal. Just le...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Iliketocallhimsteve
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Everybody has very helpful here and I enjoyed my stay. I enjoyed the liittle bit of peace and quiet by the pool before venturing out to the street. Sukumwit can be crazy and sometimes a bit expensive for Thailand. But here everything seems to be priced for my budget

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank loveburger
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2013

For a budget hotel this is no more or less than I expected. Location is right in the hussle of Sukhumvit with good transport links. Nana Plaza and bars are in walking distance.

The rooms were very basic and aged. Please be aware that the photo's are likely to have been taken from opening day of this hotel. The pool does have a pool but for some reason it didn't feel right swimming in Bangkok.

Perfect for a stop over - I would say 2-3 nights max here.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Haida Gwaii
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Room was clean but old. Bed was broken, T.V. was old and the batteries for the remote were held in by tape. Being near the red light district, could hear some of the guests being quite noisy very late at night bringing prostitutes to their room. I changed hotels after two nights and for a couple bucks more, found a much newer hotel with much better value. Wouldn't recommend this one.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank s b

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Surat, India
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We were group of eight friends & have booked 8 double rooms in this hotel ! This hotel is located just behind the famous 4 star hotel Ambassador,in wattana,in sukhumvit area ! The rooms are good enough to accomodate 2 people ! Since it is a guest friendly hotel,there is no extra charge for the guest you bring from the outside,if you have booked a double room ! However,the staff at the reception is rude and greedy in behaviour !By mistake,we have paid 4000 baht extra for the room accomodation,on request we asked for the refund of the same but the rude management and the staff of the reception has denied to repay us the extra amount !We argued a lot but they never turned out ! At last we demanded 50 % of the excess amount back,which was 2000 baht,but they were not ready for the same also ! The reception staff,insist us why we made a mistake in paying the amount,now as the said amount has been adjusted in our computer,we cannot reverse the same ! At last we left hotel by loosing our 4000 baht,which we have paid extra by mistake !

Room Tip: If you are travelling with your kids,please go for family rooms,which can accomodate four persons ve...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dipeshkumar
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Started in 1965 this hotel still holds its place...right on main road on sukhumvit Soi 13 this is an ideal location fr the shopoholics and those who want to be in the thick of things...walking distance frm the Nana and Asok sky train statins, location is the biggest USP...it also has a well maintained pool...and at 1000 Baht per night its really an afordable location...the cons are the basic room amneties...the cooler has no control or switch, no remote fr TV, no complimentary water bottle...but the pros outweighs it all...so if you r on a budget and still wanat to stay in the heart of city.this could be an ideal location although there are a fww other hotels in the locality in the same price range, so do a bit of research

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple