“cheap, poor quality, great location”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Miami Hotel

Miami Hotel
Ranked #692 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Jakarta, Indonesia
“cheap, poor quality, great location”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

I was staying in Miami Hotel with my friends. The rate is quite cheap, but the service quality was poor. The staff was nice actually, but all the facilities were out-of-date, the air-con in my room was using a very old air-con, big and noisy. Most of the stuffs were dusty, therefore I was not feel comfortable in this hotel, we can find another hotel with same price but better quality.
The only thing that I love most from this was its location, in the sukhumvit road, easy access to mrt and in the central area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank alkomala

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Indonesian first
Surat, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

Every alternate year I used to visit Bangkok with my friends for fun and shopping ! This time again I have stayed at this hotel,which is near to famous 4 star Ambassador hotel ! The standard room is good for solo travellers but if one is travelling with his family should stay in family room which is quite big and can easily accomodate three adults ! The swimming pool is also good ! The staff at reception is still not friendly as there was a contraversy with one of the guest regarding his friend visiting his room ! Previously it was a guest friendly hotel but now a days they have started charging THB 500 per adult for all friends who are visiting you during the stay ! Many entertainment areas like bars,pubs etc are within walkable distance ! The famous pratunam market is only 10 mins drive from this hotel ! Good hotel to stay for budget travellers !

Room Tip: If you are bringing any guest from the outside please be sure to confirm with the reception first ot...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Dipeshkumar
Chiang Mai, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

I stayed at the MIami Hotel, Soi 13, Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok, from 8 May to 16 May, 2013. I was with my wife and our teenaged son, so we chose a triple-bed family room which was very large. Those who care for tradition and a homely atmosphere would really love this hotel which was established in the 1960s. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, and the swimming pool is excellent. Although the Hotel does not provide breakfast, there are plenty of places close by for you to have breakfast at any time in the morning. We paid Thai Baht 1400 per night for our stay, and I thought it was a really good price for staying at a Hotel located in the prime tourist area of Bangkok. As I write this review, I really miss the warmth and friendship of the Hotel staff.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

The only thing I can fault about this hotel is the room. It is not pleasant at all. It looks more like a hostel than a hotel room. The bathroom is pretty much the same with broken tiles and out of date fittings. The big plusses for this hotel is the location and the price. However, I don't think I'll be returning and probably be willing to go a little bit higher on price next time if this is the best that can be offered in that location.

Room Tip: The rooms that look out onto the pool seem better. At least you have something to look out on.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Davelaw45
Bangkok
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

I have stayed here twice. For years I ignored it on my visits to Bangkok because it looks old and sleazy. And it is. But for 1,000 baht a night it offers very good value. I tried it when my usual low price hotels in Bangkok were all full. The hotel is from the 60's. And it shows. But from the friendly staff on reception to the bellboy with excellent English (and memory, he remembered me from my previous visit), the hotel makes you feel welcome. In other words it doesn't try to be something it's not. There is a large swimming pool and a small sun deck with loungers, tables and chairs. The room features a bath tub. Wonderful after a hot sweaty day. And there is hot water. Rather slow to run, but hot nonetheless.

The bed is springy, not hard, perhaps a bit too soft, but I slept well both times. The TV is tiny and the reception is poor. but who wants to go to Bangkok to watch TV? The toiletries are minimalistic, Tiny shards of soap. Not the stuff you take home as a souvenir of your stay - but sufficient. After all, this is a 1,000 baht hotel.

The electrics in the bathroom are best not mentioned. The wiring is haphazard to say the least, and my ancient hot water heater looked like it would fall off the wall. I touched it to see if it would. But it was rock solid. And the wires are well above reach and of splashing water. So I suppose that's ok.

If I had any complaint, it's the old air conditioner. So noisy. I still slept once I got accustomed to it, but its a bit like camping next to Niagra Falls. And it was an on or off situation. no knobs on the air conditioner, presumably to stop people turning it down to very expensive to run lows. I'd say it was 25 degrees. Pretty well perfect.

There is a large fridge befitting a 5 star hotel. But it's empty, not even free water. A very expensive TV stand! But if you are staying a few days you can fill it with beers from the 7-11 store next door. Bars and restaurants are within crawling distance.

For 1,000 baht it's good value with a pool and a bath tub. The Star Inn nearby is cheaper, the rooms are marginally better to look at, but no pool, no bath tub and no blankets, just a thin linen sheet. Down the road in soi 22 is The Pelikan guest house. Another of my haunts. Cheaper than Miami with a better bed, but still no bathtub or swimming pool.

Try the Miami. If you're not too proud, you'll like it.

Room Tip: Ask for one that opens out on to the pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

This is an update of my 2010 review 'Bangkok  Classic', this time I'm sitting in Hotel Miami at the time of posting.  Since I stayed in 2010, I've enjoyed reading many other Trip Advisor reviews of the hotel.  Some guests seem to love it, others vow never to return, but no-one says it was boring.  As before, I like it, and I'm pleased to report that very little has changed.  I was a bit sad at first that the coffee bar had gone, but pleased that it had turned into a 7/11 store which seems to stay open 24 hours a day.  A useful addition.  Other excellent improvements are the room safe and wi fi internet service at 100 baht per day.  For more detail please feel free to read my earlier article.

Room Tip: Don't worry about getting a better room than other guests. The rooms are fairly equal. Just le...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Iliketocallhimsteve
Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

Everybody has very helpful here and I enjoyed my stay. I enjoyed the liittle bit of peace and quiet by the pool before venturing out to the street. Sukumwit can be crazy and sometimes a bit expensive for Thailand. But here everything seems to be priced for my budget

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo