“Racist staff, terrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Miami Hotel

Miami Hotel
Ranked #693 of 852 Hotels in Bangkok
Miami, Florida
“Racist staff, terrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2010

The staff was rude and disrespectful to me when I asked them to help me with the computer in the lobby. The man at the receptionist desk said that they don't like black people in the hotel. I could not believe that he said that in front of his wife and the other workers. None of them seemed surprised or even cared. I asked his wife why he said that, and she said that black people cause problems. I'm sure they didn't know I was American, but that is no excuse. Unfortunately, there is a lot racism toward non-whites in Thailand and throughout Asia. Do not support this appalling behavior by staying at this awful place!

Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
7 Thank moleqj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Indonesian first
oz
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2010

We booked into the Miami april 1991. We were planning to stay one night before heading off again . It was Easter and we hadn't booked a hotel and thought we would go to one of our regular hotels but we found there were no vacancies except for the Miami - i wonder why !!!!! It was a stinking hot April day . We went up to the room and it was so dirty my wife wouldn't even lay down on the bed
We had a shower to clean up and cool down . The towel was so dirty i wouldn't feel comfortable using it . Luckily it was so hot i didn't need the towel but could have used another shower soon afterwards. We left after an hour. Shortest time i have ever spent in an Hotel.
The Miami is on the edge of the Arab section of BKK (regular travellers to BKK will know the area) and apparently most of their clientel are from the middle East: maybe they don't complain !. It could be a great hotel with a renovation . The verandas surrounding the swimming pool , some palms, it could be so stylish instead of a dump .

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

islamabad
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2010

Extremely bad experience as the hotel rooms were very dirty and the staff was bad mannered . the hotel charged us half day extra for a delay in check out by 1 hour and with out prior information . Nobody is recommended to visit the above hotel

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank haiderr
Tübingen
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2009

Well - i come there for quiet a long time - since about 1991 maybe 15 times - mostly 2-5 days in 1 or 2 stages during 1 visit. I always know and knew that it is not the Oriental.

But now it got too much.

1.) the TV offers the 15-20 channels only thai and indian language. (thai propably for the employees). So engl. speaking people will not turn on TV = saves money

2.) as many others claim the matrasses are REALLY horrible. Even light weighted Thai visitors claimed that after one hour all their bones would hurt - and be sure - they are not used to great comfort.

3.) in the bathroom one of the taps loosened and the boiling water spilt into the tube. Fortunately i could repair it by myself. The equipment is horribly old. All is going loose - the shelf in the bathroom is hanging so badly that your stuff will slip down into the basin if u don´t support it with folded paper or piece of wood. The taps of the basin are so low and short that u nearly hv to knee down to splash water into your face.

4.) by night they have a new door-girl - i think it´s the niece of the female boss (maybe daughter of the brother - senior boss). She is looking at the guests so unfriendly and full of arrogance - disgusting. She should never work in a firm where customer-service is a must. The same point meets the male boss - about 50 yo. I greeted him and he was looking through me not answering and desinterested. In his eyes we tiny little unimportant customers shall be proud that we may live in this grand-hotel spending our hard earned money in his Hotel(?). Also the other lady at the reception - i think she is chinese too and the former female senior boss ar not very nice to the guests. Don´t expect a friendly Hello or Good morning. The female boss who is after my understanding the one who manages all is sometimes so and somtimes so. Has been friendly when she recognised me in the beginning and became quiet ugly after the under 5.) explained "breakfast"-problem

5.) 1 night is 800,-- ex breakfast. Twice i ordered coffee. The card shows 20bht. They charged 30bht. After asking they explained there is 10% service charge on top ....... - well yes - 20+10=30 - somehow that´s wright. Then i had american breakfast once. After they served i accidentally found the bacon. If u make a circle between your thumb and your index-finger - that was the bacon. So i went to the female boss at the reception with the plate in my hand and asked her whether that was serious and she really answered "yes". Before ordering breakfast i asked whether the breakfast contains a mug with 2 cups of coffee. They propably misunderstood-so they brought a 2nd breakfast after my complaint. I said i didn´t order a 2nd breakfast (but thought it was cost-free service as an excuse for the little bacon [--]). Then the female boss came and reacted like a dragon and insisted loudly that i had to take/pay both breakfast. I resisted successfully but was quiet angry from that on. All the time the Thai cook is sitting/laying on 2 bar-chairs in the restaurant looking TV loudly - and if there is something to do he chases a young Thai guy but himself doing nothing – he really should learn some english bec he hardly understand any engl. word. If the lady-boss was reacting against her personal they same way she is mistreating her customers some of the employees really would work. But it´s easier to cause troubles to customers bec they will leave again - and the employees will remain.

6.) my flight back was late night. They charge 50% (=400,-) until 5pm and thereafter full charge – no dicscount for longterm customers (she is like iron)

7.) on the day of my departure they started to repair the drain pipes in the bathroom and told me to change room. In the past days no one cared therefor. So i wonder why the repair couldn´t have waited for 12 hours until next morning after my departure. I didn´t dare asking for some benefit for my circumstances of changing the room ... They wouldn´t even offer 1 cup of water.

8.) as the others said - the air cons are old and very loud. The next morning u hv an ear singing. I also got head ache from it (nono - it was not the Mekong !)

9.) Towels and floor mats are in very poor condition (pics avlbl). Most towels have brown and red spots ...from all parts of human bodies and are threadbare and torn up (pics avlbl). My blanket had 3 holes in my chest-area (pics avlbl). Of course the towels are washed – but despite that.

10.) my new room was a smoker - i am non-smoker

11.) some less important points of appearance are the colour-spots everywhere from careless painting and not removing (pics avlbl). The electricity-wiring is adventourous and dangerous (not covered connectors) (pics avlbl). The telephone cord is wildly hanging from wall to the drawer to the telephone (pics avlbl). And - u should not move the bed - it causes scratches in the newly laid PVC-floor and each scratch will be charged with 1.000bht - a sign is saying that.

12.) as the others write – the elevator does not stop at 2nd floor and absolutely switched off by night. But pls see the positive: they laid a kind of marble flooring inside that doesn´t really fit well into. Maybe the tiles were left somewhere. Also the elevator moans and crackles for years now = save money. Repaired will be what is obviously to be seen – but behind the curtain all remains as it was.

I must admit - the position Soi 13 is really great - and the pool makes it looking positively different. To continue with the advantages: the ladyboy at the reception is throughout all the many years i know her PERFECT - she is so polite and friendly and positive – an absolute highlight in that service oasis - so if there is another hotel in BKK looking for a perfect receptioniest - i strongly recommend to apply for her. What else is positive? After years they exchanged the ugly old carpets by new PVC-flooring in nut-wood-structure (careful – don´t move the bed – each scratch will be fined with 1.000bht) and they tidied up quiet a lot so there is no more that much rubbish standing around in every corner. Also the walls/ceilings of the rooms and opposite the elevater-doors and hallways are being coloured new and a new "MIAMI"-ad-table is mounted to the Sukhumvit making it easier to find the "Hotel"(?)

These are outside decorations and do not solve the elementary problems which are that in this branche u hv to serve and be nice and polite to the customers. They should try to attract the customers and not treat them like an unwanted dog full of fleas.They make me feel that they bring service to me much more worth than the money i pay. Despite the son of the male boss seems to invest his power to bring the hotel back in an "up-to-date" situation and seriously asked me for any complaints I fear that his efforts will be stopped at his father and aunt and sister(or whatever) and grandmother. Poor guy. I feel sorry for him bec he seems to really wanting to modernise the hotel. I would recommend him to work in another hotel for many years and after his family members quit working he should rise the hotel like a phoenix.

If they cared for their hotel as they care for their Mercedes the hotel was in perfect condition. But the hotel is only for us customers and the Mercedes is for themselves.

Woraburi in Soi 4 has about similiar price - as one of the other here wrote. I had been there too but can´t remember the price at the moment. But Woraburi has a buffet for breakfast. Also the rather new IBIS in Soi 4 but other side is when booked over Inet not far off with a perfect breakfast and very good service.

I for myself can´t recommend the hotel – even the lady-boss asked me to do so (due to the new painting). For me it was the last time for the moment. I will follow the comments in internet and if the jun.-boss really manages it and brings it back to a reasonably serviced hotel then i think it will be my hotel again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank test111
Hollywood, Alabama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2009

The location is really good, about three minutes walk to the Nana Bangkok Transit System (BTS), or five minutes walk to the Asok BTS (the Asok station connects with the MRT system), and then 2-4 stops on the BTS to the big Bangkok shopping centers at Siam BTS. It is also right in the middle of the entertainment district of Nana and Soi Cowboy. The ladies of the night parade all around this hotel area. Remember this hotel has been in operation since the 1960s when many GI's stayed there on R&R. It is a family-run operation, and yes, they are not friendly, actually they can be quite rude, but I got a little rude with them too on occasion. Stayed there more than a month and they finally gave me a discount of 25% if I paid until the end of my Thai trip. The first 3 of my 8 weeks in Thailand, I was in and out of there, because I was visiting other locations, but got tired of traveling because it was so hot and humid, so decided to stay in one place for the duration. Stayed in four different rooms. The elevator gets frequent repairs, but groans and works, does not stop on the second floor for some reason. They turn the elevator off late in the evening, around 10PM. One good thing if you enjoy the Thai ladies, they don't check ID cards. Did my daily 40 laps round and round the pool, it is big enough to get in some good laps. They advertise their taxi to Suvarnabhumi airport for 500 baht, but you can get there with a meter taxi for about 250-300 baht. One nasty habit they had was turning off my air conditioner when they saw me leaving, so some of my rude behavior was because of that. One Lonely Planet review says there's a Katoey working the front desk, and yes, he/she(?) is there okay, but I got to know him and he speaks excellent English and is a nice person, and is a bit shy. After a while when they got to know me, the staff sort of alternated between friendly and ugly. There are a number of old European or American gentlemen who seem to be long-term residents of this hotel. One ancient person sits by the pool every afternoon and has his dinner. Met a retired US Army Sergeant Major, married since the 1960’s to a Thai lady and alternates between the US and Thailand a couple times each year. He moved there from the Nana Hotel because the price was better, and he said his room at Nana was stuffy. He has known the family that runs the hotel for more than 30 years, so they treat him well. The cleaning men are very friendly and efficient and get to your room quickly when you leave and do a good job cleaning up the room. So on the whole, you get what you pay for. But I would not recommend it for someone who wants luxury at cheap prices. Definitely not quiet while I was there because there's a new high-rise building under construction next door. There are three computers in the lobby that take 10 baht at a time for 10 minutes; you have to start all over every ten minutes. I didn't eat at the restaurant.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Wanderer70b
melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2008

In 1975 this pub was not bad for the bucks. Only thing kept up to scratch is the pool. Has not been painted since they built it. Still, I was tired and wanted a room for sure, and in a good local. So for A$34 it did the job. If I was staying longer I could have found better and cheaper. The tired old room was clean, the noisy air con worked and the restuarant supplied bacon and eggs south east asia style, bacon like old lino and eggs cooked to extinction. Got what I expected and paid for.

Stayed October 2008
1 Thank ppapilio
singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2008

Would NEVER return, NEVER recommend, NEVER.
Miami Hotel gives me the impression of a once very popular and sought after hotel in the 60s-70s. noticed i use the word once? the air-con had no used at all and me and my friends were sweating half the time. there's a fridge in our room thats seems to be not working and when we opened it, we think we saw what looks like maggots! we wanted to exchange room cos of the air con and maggots but the staff are so unfriendly and intimidating! and the pool..oh yess...u wldnt sunbath there, unless u don't mind lying on rustic sunbathing chairs..
the only thing i like is the location but i think SUK11, which is just around the corner, is so much better, at least i dont see maggots...
and yes, the corridor looks real creepy

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything except for the location and retro furniture
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Lianzkat