“Extraordinary”

KU DE TA Signature Restaurant - CLOSED
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Contemporary
Good for: Groups, View, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Silom
Description: The showpiece restaurant, and the multi-sensory epicurean entrance into the stylish pleasures of the world of KU DÉ TA. Regally occupying the prime and generous space at the front of the 39th floor, Signature introduces its guests to the unique aspects of the KU DÉ TA experience: hand-carved ceilings, elegant banquettes, and a panoramic view of the Bangkok cityscape. Chef Jonathan Maza has crafted a Modern Asian dining experience that has roots in Japanese cooking but which boldly explores ingredients and techniques from different regions within Asia. Complemented by an extensive new-world inspired wine list, rare sakes and Japanese cocktails, Signature delivers a layered and luxurious experience that you can customize with your personal tastes.
London
“Extraordinary”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Imagine you're having a dream. It's night. You're floating high,high above Bangkok. Down below you can see the lights of the city- tiny neon signs, illuminated buildings, strings of sparkling red and white pearls denoting the main highways, the tiny green and white navigation lights of the boats on the silver river. And, whilst you're floating above the night-time city, you are at the same time in a restaurant. One in which the staff are dressed like characters from Star Trek of the Jean Luc Picard era ( this bit isn't clear in the dream : I'm strictly a James T Kirk man myself), and you're wishing you'd remembered to bring your glasses, not only to read the menu, which is small shiny writing on a grey backdrop, but also to see the food when it arrives, some of the portions being small, and others absolutely tiny. And then, you manage to dig your fork into a molecular amount of ceviche, which you bring to your mouth and insert into your gaping maw . You close your lips over the minuscule victuals. And then! And then an explosion of flavours erupts on your tongue, overloading every sense your brain can register, and you wake with a start. You find yourself in an über-stylish restaurant high above nighttime Bangkok, with waiting staff in Star Trek uniforms and tiny portions of incredible food, and you realise it's not a dream at all. It's rock solid, cold stone real. And there's the rub. This restaurant is not about eating a meal in the sense of stifling pangs of hunger. It's about art, it's about intense flavours, it's about food as you'd never experience it at home, it's about the stunning views over the city. And it's about service. Service which is attentive to the point of obsession. More chefs, waiters and maître d's than you can shake a stick at. It's being accompanied to the toilet and finding the end of the toilet roll folded into a point for the benefit of the next customer. It is, in a word, extraordinary. And you should definitely try it. Don't expect to be sated unless you have really deep pockets and can afford to buy everything on the menu, or you have a small appetite. We ordered everything on the dessert menu between 6 of us to make up for under-ordering the preceding dishes. But, do expect to be blown away by culinary art and artifice in its full glory. It would be hard to single out one dish for praise because it's all fabulous. Some of the desserts lovingly crafted by pastry chef Jason were stunning,especially the fruit concoction with a sort of sake mousse ( I think but I could be dreaming ). But, for me, the tiny ceviche with a kick like a mule was the stand out experience. Highly recommended, not just for the food, but for the all-round experience. But, don't expect all this to come cheap. We paid just short of 19,000 baht (about £360) for 6 including drinks and service. Not bad for London, expensive for Bangkok. But then, how can you put a price on fine art?

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Robertsclubman
Peter L, Director of Restaurants at KU DE TA Signature Restaurant - CLOSED, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Robertsclubman,

I wish to take the opportunity on behalf of the team at Signature restaurant to thank you for writing such a in depth and descriptive review of our restaurant. The team and I are very happy to have read this account of your experience at KUDETA and I can say from the chef to the front of house we are very pleased you went away with these positive feelings.
We invite you back in the future for a repeat visit and look forward to another review of such imagination!

• Thai first
“Fusion excellence”
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Amazing fusion restaurant overlooking the city of Bangkok (40th floor)
Menu interesting and with high variety of food (fish, meat, veg). High level of service by waiters at a reasonable price!
I tried the excellent oysters trio, yellowfin, strip loin in an interesting Asian style and a surprising dessert mixing berries white chocolate and salted tofu!

Visited March 2014
6 Thank Roberto D
Peter L, Director of Restaurants at KU DE TA Signature Restaurant - CLOSED, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Roberto D,

I wish to thank you for your trip advisor review on our venue here.
We are very happy you found the food and flavor combinations to your taste, albeit the service and view from restaurant.
Its our pleasure to invite you back to dine with us anytime!

Las Vegas, Nevada
“A fabulous Experience”
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Had one of the best dinners in Bangkok, the food is delicious, the staff is so nice and professional. Will be back next time I'm in Bangkok.

Visited March 2014
5 Thank 684ruth
Dear 684ruth,

Thanks very much for taking the time to review our Signature restaurant. We are very happy you enjoy both the food and service. As suggested, please revisit the next time you are around in Bangkok.

Sydney
“Mindblowing”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I agree with all the other reviews, this place is beyond superb. From the service to the attention to detail to the flavours to the adventurous and innovative design, Ku De Ta is mindblowing. There's little else I can add but having eaten at many of the world's supposed best eating establishments KDT is up there.

Seriously impressed and arguably the best Bangkok has to offer in early 2014.

PS - the deserts are incredible. We asked the chef to suggest deserts and we were brought a tasting platter which was really something. The chocolate with gold leaf was ....

• Visited March 2014
5 Thank Sighjay
Peter L, Director of Restaurants at KU DE TA Signature Restaurant - CLOSED, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Sighjay,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our Signature restaurant here. Your review is incredibly complementary and leaves me at a bit of a loss as to how to respond. Within the Signature we set out to create a stylish thought out concept which is culinary driven and backed up with sleek interior design, greats views and attentive informed service.
We are very happy these efforts seem to have enhanced your experience with us and we look forward to taking our offering to the next level in the coming months.
Please visit us again when you are next in Bangkok.

New York City, New York
“Terrific Splurge Night in Bangkok with Japanese Inspired Food”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I am a big foodie, appreciate all types of cuisine and along with the food expect a certain level of service that is up to par with the food to round out the nights complete experience.
Heard about Ku De Ta from a friend that loved his experience in Bali.
Walked in and after being greeted by a completely gratious host and hostess took a tour of the two restaurants, Signature and Izakaya. I opted to sit at the counter bar overlooking the kitchen at the Signature , which I always prefer to do to check out the action in the kitchen, especially since I was flying solo.
After chatting with the host who asked if my seating was comfortable he helped me decide on a cocktail that would titillate my palate in preparation for the delectable courses that would ensue.
I requested the Omakase and not a few minutes passed that i received my first course which was a trio of crudo. I loved the Hamachi with the cilantro citrus tangy sauce drizzled over.
Next course I had was the Tempura which was so light and delicately crispy and diverse that I could have eaten a whole bowl of the "jalapeno popper" one with the spicy tuna feta. So far, my favorite thing I ate.
Next Course were two salads, one with fresh crab and the other with what I believe was a mushroom of some sort. Which regrettably was forgettable.
But I was one over by the divine luscious short ribs that melted in my mouth and paired perfectly with the Pinot Noir that my server suggested I get to accompany this dish.
Now came a plethora of delectable sweets that made me feel some type of way. Never have I had such a diverse amalgamation of textures and flavors that harmoniously
sing to create a truly magical happy ending.
White Chocolate Junmai was perfection. Silky sake cream with Shiso Gelee and a berry medley with some type of toffee crumble topping was out of this world.
What came next was every tropical Southeast Asian fruit flavor I had ever experienced all in one bite. This is where the Pastry Chef really showed his true mastery of the art of creating an experience with dessert through a variety of textures and flavors and temperatures that one rarely sees.
I overall recommend this place for a snack from the savory menu selection but start with dessert as avant guard as it might be, just to enjoy the best the restaurant has to offer.
I would also recommend sitting at the main bar and having a delicious hand crafted Storm Cooler cocktail with Passion Fruit and a Tempura Tasting.
Service throughout the evening was terrific and for this and all the reasons stated above I would recommend this restaurant for a fancy night on the town in BKK. Just bring some Benjamins! ;)i

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank Leilani L
Peter L, Director of Restaurants at KU DE TA Signature Restaurant - CLOSED, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Leilani L,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review that surely worthy of a New York Times critique write up.
We go out of way to try to provide cuisine and service par excellence in Signature and on behalf of our team, a big thank you in writing such a detailed account of your dining experience with us.