“Tranquility in the Metropolis”

The Tarntawan Hotel Surawong Bangkok
Ranked #359 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 9 January 2013

As a regular visior to Thailand and Bangkok, we tried the Tarntawan for the first time this trip.

If you are looking for a negative review ...here goes

No, it could not be more centrally or idealy located for the best spots of Bangkok.
No it could not be more easily accesible
No, the staff could in no way be more freindlier than they were.
No, The rooms couldn't be more spacious or well appointed
No, the hotel couldn't be more restful and tranquil than it is

So if you are looking for a loud, brash, noisy, impersonal corporate hotel, where fruit and flowers are high on your list of expectations then the Tarntawan is not for you.

For me and my partner its has everything we need in a hotel, Comfort, Friendlyness, Great Location, Excellent Bathroom, Good Breakfast and of course free WiFi throughout the entire hotel.

We will certainly be back.

Room Tip: if you smoke, the 8th floor is where you will be and it is lovely
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LadyDiamondS

Reviewed 8 January 2013

I’ve stayed at the Tarntawan three times now and the staff are so friendly and even remembered me from my visit from four years ago! Rooms are basic but large for the price, breakfast is good too. Not too many frills here but very secure and a great location. Recommended

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank NMPCC100
Reviewed 1 January 2013

My partner and I recently stayed twice in the Tarntawan. First, passing through Bangkok for a night, then again a couple of weeks later for two nights. For us, there are three primary considerations for hotels (1) location (2) staff and (3) the room.

LOCATION, for us, was great. Bangkok is huge, spread out. There is no perfect location. In general, we prefer to be close to where we want to spend the nights, as opposed to the days. Tartanwan was perfect as a nighttime location.

STAFF was extremely helpful and friendly. Could not have asked for more in a hotel. It's not a gay B&B, so you don't get quite the personalized service as that -- but for a "hotel" -- it is as good as we could have wanted.

The ROOM was fine. Large enough, clean. A bit worn -- but quite acceptable.

Overall, a very good stay. No complaints.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ricvamundo
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I've stayed here a few times and it never changes much which suits me just fine. Very central , very clean and with REALLY good staff who ahve been there a long time and cloearly enjoy working there. It may not be the glitziest , newest or best hotel in Bangkok but it's cool, quiet, safe and incredibly handy for day and nightlife in the chaos which is Bangkok

On this trip I ended up staying several nights elsewhere in a 5" suite and although very nice it did not have the 'human touch' the Tarntawan does and was pleased to get back to the T at the end of the trip having started and finished a 3 week trip at the Tarntawan. btw - you can leave winter jackets.clothe stc for free at the hotel whilst you travel elsewhere and so long as you are staying again this is a very handy free service. I stayed 5 nights then more nights again 2 weeks later

On this trip I satyed in a whole cross section of hotels-mainly 'posh' ones but I love the laid back feel of the Tarntawan - the amazing longtime staff - and the hygene. Dated ...yes.....bit worn in places.....yes.....BUT.....it reminds me of 'old Bangkok' before the multinationals got in and a rally nice change

Room Tip: The Suriwong room prob is worth the little to upgrade
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank oldFordfan
Reviewed 13 December 2012

I have stayed at the Tarntawan 11 times over the last 9 years. It is a very comfortable, quiet and safe hotel, even though it is smack in the middle of one of the busiest areas of Bangkok, which also makes it convenient, too. There are certainly fancier hotels nearby, but the Tarntawan has the best staff. I have known many of them all 9 years and they always remember me, even my name. They are the friendliest and most helpful of any hotel I have stayed at. I highly recommend the Tarntawan!

Room Tip: The best rooms are from floor 5 and above.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Ray K
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We arrived at airport at midnight and was greated to freindly smiley faces and were quickly on our way to the Tarntawan place in a pre aranged airport pick that was excellent .Check in at the hotel was easy but once we were shown our room ...( pre booked 2mths earlier on the net ) we had ordered twin beds and this room had one double we were told there were no rooms i booked .... 2mths earlier and were told were available when they took and charged my credit card makes me think there is some management problem .
After a call to the front desk they told me none of the rooms i booked and paid for in advance were available so they could only offer an up grade to a double room !!!!
I thought quickly, if this is an upgrade i better keep quite . ! The room was well worn , holding the shower arm up while trying to shower was fun . I am sure the room i booked had an in room safe , this one didnt . from what i could see the whole place was tired , the breakfast ok the location was excellent and the staff were great .
Would i stay again ?? If i stayed over the road at the LeMeridien i would pay more than 4 times or at The Tawana at least twice the price so when you look at room and breakfast and that location for around THB2300 i guess its not too bad .
(just dont sell or promote somthing you can not supply )

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 November 2012

When I checked in to this familiar hotel I saw the Trip Advisor Rating proudly displayed in the Elevator ! I always stay here when passing through Bangkok. The unfailing courtesy and helpful attitude of the charming staff never fail to impress me. Nothing is too much trouble for them. The hotel is set well back from a very busy road so it is quieter than you expect. It is well situated, about 10 minutes from the Sala Dieng BTS and the Metro and close to the Patpong night markets. When stopping over between Europe and Australian flights I often have to arrive or leave at unconventional hours but this has never been a problem with them. The rooms are roomy and well appointed but some of the rooms on the 2nd floor are a bit dark.

Room Tip: As a rule stick to the rule "The Higher the Better"
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo