“Secure Oasis in the midst of a crowded humid city”

The Tarntawan Hotel Surawong Bangkok
Ranked #358 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 17 March 2013

The location of this friendly hotel makes it perfect for night owels... easy walk to the popular bars and clubs, and to the nearest sky train station that will take you to the most modern of shopping complexes where any shopaholic can get an amazing experience.
The rooms are kept extreemly clean and room staff very attentive and helpful and an excellent laundry service operates. A 24 hour room service provides a good selection of hot and cold food and drinks and the option of breakfast in your room is a great feature.
The staff are superb,... cant do enough for you, and always with a smile.
There are no issues if you want to entertain a guest or guests in your room, a simple security system operates that safeguards your interests and that of your guest at no extra charge on your room.
The dining area could do with a bit of a make over ! the chairs and tables are not comfortable to sit at and there is a dreadful background music system that plays there... but thats a small issue when the whole experience is taken into account.
Overall this is a perfect place to stay for short or longer periods. Shouls have 4 stars !!!!

Room Tip: Room 412 is home from home for me !
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank DavidLU2

Reviewed 7 March 2013

The location is indeed very convenient, close to Metro/Skytrain.
Staff is very professional and helpful.
Rooms are spacious and very clean, providing all the conveniences you can expect.

However this hotel needs an update in order to qualify as a (3) stars hotel.
Had a chance to talk to the owner, who actually confirmed that they are in the process of entering into a renovation program for the hotel in the near future.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This is my second time in this hotel, last year i stayed in the suite but this time i booked deluxe room which was better, more space,battroom very comfy, good shower pressure,clean bed . As usual the service is perfect especially the stairlift guy who has been there for 14 years, always happy to chat with you! Nice breakfast,very convenient location.

Room Tip: Deluxe instead suite....
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank DavidJMarcel
Reviewed 1 February 2013

The Tarntawan,is an old favourite of mine. Placed within an excellent part of Bangkok yet still quiet and away from the hubbub of traffic and noise of this busy City. Staff many of whom have served here for in excess of 14 years remember previous clients and give a warm welcome to newcomers. This is a budget hotel run by a Swiss owner, who keeps a guiding watch on the efficiency of his hotel. Whilst families occasionally are guests, perhaps this place is best suited to single gentlemen. The Tarntawan is like a home from home. A refurbishment programme is gradually under way, to update the fittings and fixtures but nothing to disturb one's enjoyment or peace.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I described the hotel one year ago. Last month I stayed in the Tarntawan for the sixth time. The service is still breathtaking.
In order not to repeat myself, I will describe an aspect that I’ve never experienced in any other hotel. Every Thursday evening the hotel management organizes a cocktail for all hotelguests. The drinks are free. One meets other hotelguests but also the manager of the hotel and his immediate staff. The manager and his staff listen attentively to any requests or suggestions. The reception lasts an hour and each time I have pleasant conversations with both the management and the fellow guests.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank globbetrot
Reviewed 26 January 2013

I've stayed at this hotel several times in recent years and have always been impressed. The staff are friendly and efficient. They have smoking and non smoking rooms. The hotel itself is located on a private cul-de-sac off the main Suriwongse Road right in the centre of Bangkok. Everywhere is within walking distance, Patpong, the shopping malls along Silom Road, the bars and restaurants and the sky train station at Sala Deng. I booked a superior deluxe room on the 7th floor. As ever large and well appointed with a king size bed. The rooms are starting to look a bit dated, but it was okay for a 3-night stay. Breakfast is served whenever you get up. I quite like that. No need to rush down at set times in the morning. They also have a weekly manager's reception in the bar area of the lobby, which is free and you can get to know other guests staying there. The business centre and use of their pc's is also free. I got a 10% discount of their printed rates using my Balcony Pub discount card. It's a nice private and quiet hotel. I would have no hesitation recommending it and staying there again.

Room Tip: Superior deluxe rooms are nice and at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 January 2013 via mobile

I will start with the bad luck. We were allocated the most terrible room. Nothing was right about it. Just be careful of discounted bookings as it might be for this terrible room 305. We arrived at midnight and 3 hours later (after tip top resturant dinner) we wanted to check out. Called booking.com to start the process and i anticipated a one night penalty. I do not want to share details as everything else was great. In morning. I told the Thai manager half of the issues with the room and he tried to help me with another. But I saw the cigarette ashtray and fire matches. So now you know. A Smokey room was one of the reason. All I can say if you get a room with serious problems, please tell them to change it. Give them a chance. As the staff are such lovely people and I did not even complain. I just whispered my few issues. The bald European looking manager was not useful. He threatened me saying they will charge me for the entire 4 nights. And then he disappeared outside. I was lucky he left as he would have stated world war 3 (if he pursued :) Normaly I would rate this stay as 1 out of 5 but the way my check out was handled by the thai manager was great. Breakfast was simple and pleasant. Food available 24hrs is a bonus for hotel guest and non guests.

Now I am staying at a nicer 4 star hotel. Having an awesome time. Forgetting my night of hell. By the way, we wanted to enjoy the silom nightlife as we've Stayed in the area 3 times before. But now I will just take a taxi to Silom and enjoy the luxuries of a 4 star hotel. After checking out. My bags were stored. I went for a massage at my favorite Purity spa across the road (clean private rooms with showers. Ask for Joe. He always provides a caring massage with good skills). The staff at tarntawan were still friendly when I came back for bags. They called in a taxi for me. Except for the emotional nightmare of the smokey and poor quality room 305, it was so pleasant to be there. We were pleased it all turned out well. We ended out afternoon by chilling next to an infinity pool on the 14th floor of our new hotel. We are back in silom daily for our massages and if we just did not get that hell of a room, then we too could be enjoying the nightlife easier.

Also, directly across on right side of le meridian, is a lovely outdoor seafood place. Try it. I am going for dinner there tonight.

• Stayed: January 2013