“Good Enough”

Ranked #335 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
San Francisco, California
“Good Enough”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Average accommodations but extra point for being LGBT friendly and decent location. The building, reception area and rooms are clean but a little tired. The breakfast was uninspired, although available any time of the day. The location is close to a night market and other night life in the nearby alleys off Silom and Surawong, if that is what you are into. Also just a few minutes walk to the SkyTrain station. The manager was friendly and helpful; the other staff less so mainly due to language barrier. Minimal amenities; WiFi was OK.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank sfyan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Polish first
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

...just back from a total of 9 nights at the Tarntawan (3 x 3 nights as travelling. I always stay here (Surawong room upgrade worth it!) and in the havoc of Bangkok very quiet down a short soi but literally paces from Silom and all it offers
What I always like is the cleanliness (linen changed every day) , the amazing staff-they remembered me from previous visits - and the good value for money for where it is. If you want glitz and glamour then go elsewhere-but if you are after comfort, top good location, security, freedom and value for money look nowhere else. Talking to other guests they feel the same way-some there for weeks at a time.
Chatting to the general manager (who often has breakfast with everyone else and very approachable) added that like most hotels they have been affected by the recent troubles but the Tarntawan had faired a lot better as they have such a strong customer base....need I say more !!
Already working on my next visit

Room Tip: Surawong room worth the little upgrade
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank oldFordfan
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I took a chance booking this hotel that I found online, the reviews were good so I went for it.
I am so glad I did! What a perfect place to stay in bustling Bangkok

The hotel is located at the end of a cul de sac off a main road, my taxi driver from Pattaya did have a little problem finding it, but we did.
Despite it being my first visit, I was greeted like a long lost friend, so nice, so professional.

At checkin you are given a Key pass card, so you can be identified when asking for your key, so you don't have to lug your key around and risk loosing it.

Within minutes of going into the room I was given a complimentary drink and a piece of fruit with a welcome card from the Manager, a very nice touch.

I was also given some hotel business cards with my name and "In Residence" printed on it, so if you got lost all you needed to do was give it to a taxi driver to get you safely back to the hotel.

My room was a "Sarawong Suit" on the 5th floor. It was very well appointed, HUGE bed, lovely spacious bathroom, flat screen TV, Free WIFI, and coolest electronic control panel on the side of the bed which had controls for all the lights, privacy button and air conditioning controls.

What did surprise me is that in the middle of a bustling city the room was so quite, as a light sleeper, I slept like a baby on that huge bed.

The complimentary breakfast was really nice, a mixture of eggs, bacon or sausages etc and fruit etc

In the evening I enjoyed a nice meal and drinks at very reasonable prices.

Security was excellent, visitors were allowed albeit they were checked with ID before allowed to the room.

There plenty of night clubs, both gay and straight, many restaurants, Night Markets and a huge shopping centre all near by. The hotel is Gay friendly which is so nice to be treated with respect and dignity.

Whist the hotel does not have a pool, they do have an arrangement with another hotel to use theirs, how cool is that!

I would highly recommend this hotel, it is superb but at a reasonable rate as well.

I will be back there soon as I am already planning my next trip there and would not stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: I loved the Sarawong suite, on the 5th floor, no noise at all, super comfy
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank TomboPerth
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

I think I would actually give it a 3.5 star if that was an option, but in this case I will round up. Excellent location helps this top this place. Had the 2 bedroom suite which is huge by today's hotel standards and the both rooms were perfectly good. Odd to have 7 telephones in the day and age when everyone uses mobile. Staff are friendly and helpful. Breakfast is average at best. For a really great breakfast buffet Le Meridien across the street is 100 times better. I can see why a lot of people use this hotel as a regular base for Bangkok. It's comfortable, secure and reasonably priced, but nothing special. Would consider a return stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

I booked this hotel for two separate nights this month because of the awesome reviews I have read here in tripadvisor. Unfortunately, it was not as good as I expected (I am starting to think it's because I look like a Southeast Asian teenager (and they probably think I am Thai) even though I came from Sydney), check-in was impersonal (without the welcome drink) and the service is meh.

Some comments:
- The location of the hotel is awesome, near Silom but not necessarily on the noisy side of things. It is near Tawan(*wink wink*), and within walking distance to all the night spots in Silom/Surawong.
- All day breakfast is good, but what is included in the complimentary breakfast never really satisfied me. Breakfast is some bread, some sliced Papaya/watermelon/melon, some ham, cheeses, and muesli. Anything aside from these that you'll order from them, you have to pay a premium. It would have been awesome if they at least have some fried rice/noodles/sausages which would have made us full and ready for the day ahead.
- We had breakfast there twice, and I have never seen the breakfast staff smile (I even felt a somewhat condescending stare from one of them, probably wondering what a seemingly asian teenager is doing on their hotel).
- I did like the cards they gave us when we arrived. They were cards with our name and the hotel's address printed out in English and Thai. Very convenient when you need to take a taxi back to the hotel, you can just show the driver the card.
- I think they would treat repeat customers well. When we went back for our second stay, they gave us a room upgrade.

Will we stay here again? Probably. But we'll just get breakfast from the stalls on the street. Breakfast isn't their strongest suit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
tarntawan, Owner at The Tarntawan Hotel Surawong Bangkok, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear WinnieFamDorde,
Thank you very much for staying at the Tarntawan Place and for taking the trouble in writing your review on TripAdvisor.
I am sorry to hear that you did not get your welcome drink upon arrival and that check-in was not as smooth as you expected it to be. The most disturbing comment, however, was that you felt the check-in was impersonal and meh, being unfriendly towards another Asian. This is unacceptable behaviour and I will have a word with our Front Desk staff, reinforcing our policy of Thai hospitality.
The full selection of breakfast is available 24 hrs. If the room is booked with breakfast included. All items on the menu (be they fried rice, rice soup, Japanese breakfast, eggs, sausages, etc.) are free. There is no need to pay extra. I have already spoken with our breakfast staff about the need to explain this to new guests and to welcome everybody with a smile.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room upgrade on your return visit and we will do our utmost to make your next visit a perfect one.
Ft. Lauderdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

This was our first trip to Bangkok and we couldn't have picked a better place to stay. Our arrival was at 0030hrs yet we were still greeted promptly by smiling staff. Shortly after checking in, two glasses of lemon grass tea were delivered to our room. What a nice touch. The room was large, comfortable and functional. Same for the bathroom. Towels were replaced each day, along with soap, shampoo and complimentary bottles of water. A great feature of this hotel is that is sits off the main street so we never had a problem sleeping. The breakfast features selections of warm dishes (you must try the fried rice with fried egg on top AND the pancakes) or you may choose from a variety of fresh fruits, cereals and bread. What really left an impression with us was the hotel staff. Each person we came in contact with provided outstanding service. We felt they appreciated our business and went out of their way to make us comfortable. We are already planning our next trip and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view of the city. Noise was not a problem for us.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brazil44
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

I recently stopped over in Bangkok and stayed at Tarntawan Place. The hotel itself was well above my expectations, and all the staff members I encountered were very patient and helpful.

A few days later, I was further pleasantly surprised when I received an e-mail from the hotel's director thanking me for filling in the guest questionnaire before I left. I had noted two shortcomings--a bedspread that needed a wash and the taxi to the airport organized by hotel staff attempted to rip me off. The director indicated he had instructed housekeeping to rectify the bedspread issue and, after identifying the taxi driver in question, banned him from collecting any other guests from Tarntawan Place. He was also very apologetic for both, although the taxi driver's bad behavior was not his or his staff's fault.

It really is encouraging to see a business not only excel at customer service in the first instance but also be open and receptive to feedback, which it then takes seriously and actions. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, and the director's e-mail was the 'icing on the cake', so I will certainly be back next time I am in Bangkok.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com