“Very nice staff”

The Tarntawan Hotel Surawong Bangkok
Ranked #362 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 19 October 2008

If you like the Patpong, somewhat near the edge side of Bangkok, this hotel is a little oasis from the in your face extremes of the Silom area.. Nice friendly staff, clean and being in a little square off the main street, it is a little escape from the extremes of the area

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AdAM0247

Reviewed 6 September 2008

For me this hotel was conveniently located in the busy and bustling Silom area. However as it is set back from the main (Surawong) road it is quiet and exudes an air of calm. I found the staff manning reception to be friendly (fairly knowledgeable) and receptive to my needs. Likewise, the door and catering staff were welcoming and helpful. Liked the fact that I was remembered when I returned several days later for 2 separate overnight stays before flying to Cambodia and UK respectively.

Mid-range priced rooms were clean and spacious. For 400 bht more you can book a Deluxe room - but as far as I could see this entiled you to a daily delivery of fruit to your room and the provision of a DVD in the room. Nice comfortable beds. Air con and good minibar including the obligatory free bottles of drinking water. Decor is fairly standard and don't expect stunning views from the bedrooms - this is a built up area. One niggle was the absence of room safes - personally I feel more in control of my security if room safes are provided rather than the hassle of using safety deposit boxes at front desk. A small business area in the lobby offers free internet usage - great for checking travel plans etc

No gym or swimming pool - but these can be accessed nearby.

On your doorstep is the red light Patpong area so the streets get very busy with traders and you need to get use to the locals offering tuk-tuk and taxi rides, massage, watches, dvds, suits and sex shows.

This hotel is central to 'gay' Bangkok and therefore does cater for the gay traveller, so you will notice western guys breakfasting with younger asian partner/escort. Friends and 'joiners' can visit or stay overnight, but tight security means they have to leave ID in reception. If you are uncomfortable about this then another hotel may suit your requirements.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stays here and would readily return on my next visit to the Far East.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
4  Thank Richard B
Reviewed 23 July 2008

Good location in gayborhood near the skytrain, easy to get around and friendly staff. The main complaint is that our first room was "smoking" and smelled horrible, and even when we were transferred to the "non smoking" floor, it was still there, which was very annoying.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank SkyHighYYC
Reviewed 8 July 2008

The location is very good.

The room is OK but a little bit old fashion.

The staff is cold but very competent, I must say.

I don't really see the Gay side of it as advertised but... nevermind, it is still a great value for money.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
4  Thank MikeGay
Reviewed 12 April 2008

I stayed at Tarntawan Place for a week in March 2008, in a Deluxe Surawong room (recommended--larger windows and quieter). Several friends of mine were staying in the hotel at the same time, and none of us had any of the problems other guests have mentioned on this site. The room was spacious, clean, quiet (I'm very sensitive to noise), and comfortable, service was delightful, food--especially the 24-hour complimentary breakfast--was very good. The staff was extremely helpful in making restaurant recommendations and reservations for us.
I stayed here for a month 5 years ago and have noticed no decline in quality, despite what others have written. Some of the staff members remembered me, which was gratifying. My 2003 stay really put the hotel to the test, because I was came down with dengue fever while I was staying there. The management took me to the nearby Bangkok Christian Hospital, transfered my luggage for me after I was admitted, sent someone every day with newspapers and other reading material, arranged for a masseur, picked me up when I was discharged after a week, and upgraded me for the week of convalescence my doctor prescribed. This experience makes me confident that I'll be treated well at Tarntawan Place, and makes me hesitant to stay in a more impersonal hotel.

• Stayed: March 2008
5  Thank Tony C
Reviewed 28 January 2008

You can take the airport bus AE1 and get off at "Tawana Ramada Hotel" stop and it's 10 meters away from the lane way where Tarntawan Place is. Service level is typical of Bangkok hotels in the same class. Obviously many gay clients take advantage of the no-joiner-fee benefit. Breakfast(included in rate) anytime of the day. Free in-room wi-fi and lobby PCs. The bathroom(though acceptible) did indeed need some improvement to match up with the rest of the guest room - "DELUXE SURAWONG ROOM".

Stayed: December 2007
4  Thank bibimbob
Reviewed 16 September 2007

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights on Aug.30-Sep. 2. It takes just a few minutes' walk to reach the skytrain station, Saladang; and the famous night market, Papong, is even nearer. Though it's close to these busy places, it's very quiet and clean. The hotel looks small from the out side, but the room is spacious.
I had to leave in the early morning around 5+AM, and the night manager made the morning call on time, and another call to make sure I was awake as I didn't show up downstair soon. Very considerate for those who press the snooze button and have to catch the flight, though I was not sleeping then....:) Later, he even complaint to the taxi driver for me, as he found the driver intended not to run by meter.
The most convenient thing to me is the 24-hour service of "breakfast". You can have them whenever you feel like to. I had one (I got two since I stayed in a room for 2) at midnight as it was raining and I didn't want to go out then...
But there are still some flaws to me. No in-room-safe, and the gym and swimming pool are 5 minutes' walk away. You have to pay 400 baht extra for one entrance. Though the gym is cool.
I'll definitely stay there again next time if travelling alone.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo