“uproars, prostitutes and dishonesty”
Review of D&D INN

D&D INN
Ranked #566 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
Paris, France
“uproars, prostitutes and dishonesty”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I booked 8 nights on the hotel website in advance. When I received the confirmation I sent several email to let them know that we would arrive at 1:55 in the morning. I never had any answer. Anyway when we arrived at 3:00 AM they said that we could check in, but we had to pay for an extra night or wait until 6:00. After a 24 hours journey, we didn't feel like waiting. We jumped on the occasion to change our booking for a higher category room. They asked us to visit both rooms to make sure of our choice. At night it seemed alright. They also requested a full advanced paiement of our staying, we were surprised, but as tired as we were we finally agreed. Between the party-animals who came back with thai "friends" around 4:00 or 5:00 AM and the building site's noise just behind our bedroom wall during the day, we barely slept an hour or two. After two nights of that treatment, we asked for a refund. We considered that they should have warned us in the first place of the extension going on. They didn't want to understand our point of view and offer to change our room for a "less noisy" one. In the same time at the desk an other person complained because he could feel the sound sytem's vibration of the next door bar. Compare to him, we were lucky, we had only the noise. The morning after, the poor breakfast at the "green and cheese" across the street was the final point of our disappointment. We decided to leave this place and let them dispose of our 7 nights prepaid bedroom. I am pretty sure that 15 minutes later, at least, they found a new occupier. Beside these noise issues, I won't either regret the smelly and not so clean room.

Room Tip: Find an other Hotel !
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Capitola, California
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel is smack in the middle of the Khao San madness so that was expected. The room was fine with what we were told was included and the pool on the roof was definitely a high point even if temps were cool compared to the norm.

What killed this place is the included breakfast that was historic in terms of awfulness. Both my wife and I waited for a fresh batch of eggs and when got them back to the table, they were stone cold. I would bet they were cooked long ago and stored in a fridge! Combine that with hoards of travelers deciding that many many pieces of toast were needed so the two conveyor toasters were backed up and this meal was one brutal cattle call.

One piece of advice....the protests mean a taxi to the airport is really tough to get...so many intersections are blocked so many drivers will not agree to make the trip. We tried to get to the Skytrain to avoid that and had to jump from our tuk tuk at a stalled intersection once I found a cabbie willing to make the trip. We made our flight but the tension was no fun.

We have stayed in Bangkok many times but this was our first in the heart of the backpacker zone. The place reminded me of a seedy Times Square from years back. Once was enough.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 December 2013

My Boyfriend and I stayed there from November 25-27th and we enjoyed it so much we returned on Dec 12-14th.

Pro's; Rooms were nice, clean and comfortable (we got a standard double bed). The roof top pool and bar are awesome and you can also get a reasonably priced massage on the roof. You're so close to everything being right on Khao San, we could walk to the river boats to take us to the Grand Palace etc. We also chose the option to have breakfast included and it was quite nice. Also there are internet cafes and travel agents in the entrance of the hotel to help you plan your trip.

Con's; It might get loud, when we stayed at the end of November, Khao San was just starting to get busy, and we got room 2310 that had its windows to a parking lot. It was really quiet! When we stayed in December Khao San was way busier and there were some roudy partiers running up and down the halls all night. Oh well. We had room 2309 that faced the garden court yard, which was nice.

All in all, if I were on Khao San again, I'd return to D&D.

Room Tip: Rooms near 2310 face the quiet parking lot, or get a room facing the court yard.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
melbourne
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

I booked a room here for the first night I arrived in Bangkok. After never previously been here I was quite upset when they told me they had cancelled my room as I was late. Their policy states you must check in between 2pm and 7pm so I originally emailed to let them know my flight was not due until 8pm. Unfortunately my flight was then delayed and I had no way to contact them on the plane so when I arrived they told me they had cancelled my booking and had no spare rooms!! I could not believe how they didn't even care. Thanks D & D Inn what a great first experience to Bangkok. I had no idea what to do luckily I came across a lovely place called Khoasan resort. I'd recommend it over D&D Inn any day!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank melbourne_sophie81
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

I'm giving this hotel a 4 as a budget accommodation, it's good for what you pay. I agree with the other reviews that the staff aren't all too pleasant and when we were leaving at 5.30am a lady (who could have been anyone) was walking passed our room and asked were we checking out. When we said we were she proceeded to go into the room and then we were "dismissed" by her, it was so strange that we had to tell the lady at the front desk that someone had gone into our room and she didn't know about it either. Turns out it was housekeeping but very very strange.
Taking some of the other reviews into account, we were very lucky in terms of what room we stayed in. We were on the 6th floor, not directly looking onto khaosan so the music wasn't that disruptive at all. The room was clean, the TV was big, the bathroom was good (hot showers and clean) but there was a pretty bad smell from the AC when we had it on. We didn't use it after we turned it on that one time and it was fine.
If you're looking for decent, clean accommodation in the centre of khaosan this is a good choice (if your room is positioned correctly). We booked a supreme deluxe and I believe it was worth the extra baht (think it was $90 for the 3 nights).

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Great experience, good value for money for what you get, awesome Deck and pool on the roof, always a good party up there.
There are other places cheaper, but you get what you pay for.
Location is also great as it is on Khaosan Road

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Tewantin, Australia
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here twice. It's quite a clean hotel and the price is not bad. Our second time we mistakenly stayed in one of the rooms that is right on Khaosan Rd. If you are not partying and need sleep don't stay in the standard rooms that border Khosan Rd. It's impossible to sleep until 2am when the music stops. The rest of the hotel is fine and we would stay again. But if you need sleep get yourself a decent room away from Khosan Rd noise. Reception staff explained that it may be noisy but it was beyond noisy. Live and learn I guess

• Stayed November 2013