D&D INN
Ranked #639 of 889 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Where do I begin... Firstly, the staff. They could not have been less interested in helping us or sorting out our rooms, we were rudely ushered to sit and wait while they tried to charge us for an extra person (refusing to set up an extra bed) instead of offering another room that suited our party number. The lady at the desk mentioned that it may be a little noisy but not a problem. After about an hour in the waiting room we just agreed and went to our rooms which took about half an hour to find as we trawled our bags through the building site which they call a hotel. We wanted an early night as we were catching a 7am flight so at about 11pm we returned to our rooms. When I say it was loud, I mean you literally could not have a conversation. I had to shout across the room and have the TV on 100% volume which I still could not hear. I may have well taken a sleeping bag into a club and slept under a table. When I informed the receptionist after putting up with it for 2 hours. They merely shrugged and gave me a number to ring in the morning to complain. I strongly recommend that you do not waste your money at this place, whether you are partying or not. It is a waste of money and time and will ruin the day after, too.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank EES777
Write a ReviewReviews (1,661)

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed at D & D Inn, Bangkok on 06 Feb 2014 on my Cycling Tour from Singapore to Chiang Mai and Fang. The hotel is in good location with restaurants and bars nearby. The hotel is good and clean. I slept well and enjoyed the buffet breakfast provided free. The hotel has a pool to chill off. I will stay at this hotel again if I am at Bangkok.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with a friend for two nights upon arriving in Bangkok and we had a pretty good experience. The inn is located in the middle of backpacker hell on Khao San road. Taxi drivers and tuk tuks will know where to bring you but there is a lot of noise at night and people constantly trying to sell you things or get you into their tourist office on the street.

The rooms were basic but nice. Fairly clean, bed was comfortable. The air con was strong enough to have my nose running all night and we were unable to turn it down which meant that I spent my first night in southeast Asia wearing thick pyjamas and wrapped in blankets. Alright value for money though.

Breakfast is included abs was great- it was held across the street and was buffet style. As a vegetarian I felt there was plenty of choice and was able to fill myself up for the day.

The place was a construction site with tarp everywhere and noise at all hours of the day. There was also a lot of noise from other backpackers who were up late drinking and coming in from nights out.

I found the staff to be quite helpful. Initially they seem quite curt and unfriendly but once you talk to them and are polite and friendly they become much more amiable. I think they might just be jaded from having to deal with so many drunk, boisterous tourists. They gave us a free map and directed us to the Vietnamese embassy so we could get our visas.

The best part about this place for us was the rooftop pool. After so much travelling we were ready for a few days of lounging by the pool, swimming and relaxing, so D&D was perfect for us. The bar was good, although the music was so bad it was comical.

All in a this is a good place to stay for a couple of nights if you are a low maintenance traveller who does night mind being surrounded by other tourists and backpackers for a while.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Aedin
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Although we thought this was a good hotel, our opinions of the hotel, staff and people were complely ruined when trying to check out. On informing them that we had to go in a bus to make our plane to Vietnam they made up an item in the room and said we had stolen it. We offered for them go search our bags as the "bowl" the hairdryer had been in was never present. The receptionist mocked me, faked cried when he pushed me that far and made it quite clear he did not care at all. It was a clear intention of his to make sure our flight was missed. When we asked for the manager we were told to sit and wait 3 days. Overall, for this, and the booming bar music in our room, I am sad to say I would recommend people to go anywhere but this. Many other inns/ hotels have pools etc and I would give a lot of money to not be so humiliated and treated so unfairl and immorally. They tarnished our thoughts of the country which was sad as all others were so kind.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Our room was far from the street and we were told it would be quiet since it didn't have windows. Yet we heard music blasting until 6 am. The ac works. Wifi is good. Buffet breakfast is nothing spectacular. But you are on khao San road so depends if you wanna be near the party scene. Maybe you can get more for your money on a different street and just visit khao San road

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We staying here for two calls of our booking.
First time, we stay at Superior room. It's was fine, bath room clean with window to the roof of neighbor. Second time , when returning back from Pattaya we did stay at Deluxe room which was not higher than Superior, just add more bottles of water and minibar without stuff inside.
We get many experiences during the time stay in Khaosan Rd, a noisy street with overnight shopping every where. What's amazing !!! Life gets started after 10:00PM. If you are couple prefer staying at quite place with friendly people, you should not stay here. We bought much at this street and wish could bring all to my home.
Swimming pool was fine even thought no more space for swimming and diving, just water bearing.
Staff was ok without uniform, almost the guest say hello before them. We have to pay money immediately when checking in, they kept 500 Bath for deposit. It's acceptable for a budget hotel more than 100 rooms. We had check out quite early in the morning, by asking them about taxi to airport, we did get very helpful and necessary information from receptionist and bell man as well. From Khao San Rd to Airport is not over than 350 Bath per way, even we took taxi at 400 Bath on the first day arrive to the hotel.
Highly recommend for people who really enjoy nighttime, bar, pub, club, shopping with cheap cheap goods and product of Thailand hand made.

Room Tip: Superior room is as near as make no deference than Deluxe room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bruce_HoiAn
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We had high hopes for D&D, as friends we had met along the way had recommended it to us. Sadly, it didn't live up to expectations.

I'm going to summarise in bullet points as I don't want to waste too much time on prose.

Good:
Pool
On Khaosan Road, bar street
Taxis and tuk tuks know where to find it and will charge a fair price
Tours usually pick up here
24/7 reception
(Mostly) friendly staff

Bad:
A lot of scum in the pool, leaving you feeling sticky on exit
In our room, there was barely any light
The room hadn't been cleaned before we got here, with long dark hairs all over the room and bathroom and very little toilet roll (speculation: a hooker may have been the last person to rent the room)
Roaches. Baby and small-sized roaches everywhere, with a large one on our 'balcony'. They wouldn't let us use the chemical ourselves, instead sending housekeeping, then gassed us out of the room for four hours.
Dirty sheets (smelled of people and sweat, also stained)
Breakfast was pretty dreadful. Eggs that looked and tasted really bizarre, bad spaghetti bolognese, strange frankfurter style sausages and the sugar-syrup style fruit juice. I didn't try the coffee. They didn't have water. Not worth getting up and going across the road for this.
No free water in rooms.
No housekeeping for a Superior room (took them 45 minutes to get us toilet roll after we requested some in person at the desk)
Mosquitoes and house flies infesting the reception area, where I had to charge my phone as we only had one socket in the room for two of us and it was in an awkward place where I couldn't plug my charger in anyway. I had 7 bites in twenty minutes, despite killing five mosquitoes in that time!

I'll stop here, but you get the idea. For the same price there is better accommodation in Bangkok and better service, too. Perhaps if you're backpacking it's worth the budget Standard room as the location is great. Personally, though, I was really disappointed and won't be staying here again or recommending it to any of my friends.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends