“DO NOT STAY HERE”

Ranked #765 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
Tempe, Arizona, United States
“DO NOT STAY HERE”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My boyfriend and I have been backpacking through Thailand for a month now and this is BY FAR the worst hotel we have stayed in thus far. First of all, the internet wasn't working upon arrival. When it finally started working again, we realized they charge for wifi. They wanted us to pay for 24 hours of it when we were only going to be here for 12 more hours! When I tried talking to the front desk about getting part of the time for a cheaper price because the internet was out earlier, they refused. Also, we payed for a buffet breakfast when we checked in. The breakfast, of course, was nothing spectacular and wasn't even kept warm while being served. The food was all cold by the time we went downstairs to eat. The rooms are small, which isn't really a big deal. I can handle a small room. What was unacceptable was the fact that the room wasn't even clean! The bedding looked like it hadn't even been washed. Luckily, we had sheets and pillowcases with us and had to sleep on our own sheets because the provided ones literally had hair on them. In addition to all of this, we paid for a hot water shower and of course it didn't work. Way too much money to not have hot water working. DO NOT stay here! There are many other hotels in the area and I assure you that you would definitely be better off staying elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gina V
SawasdeeHotels, Front Office Manager at Sawasdee Khaosan Inn, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear My Customer

I truly appreciate your feedback regarding your overall experience. I'm really sorry if you was dissatisfied with our hotel's quality.

Your review helped us to re-enforce our service standards and kindly trust that we will work harder to improve our product and service .

Thank you very much again for providing your time to write a review about

I hope you will change your mind and will offer us the opportunity to accommodating you and family again in the near future.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I arrived at the hotel at around 23:45 and sat in the lobby for nearly four hours to get into my room. The front desk attendant had gotten into a fight with one of the guests and was at the police station. There was actually no employees to be found at all. Thankfully, another guest with a young Thai girl helped me and was able to get me into a room. Not the way I wanted to start my trip to Bangkok. The hotel made up for it and upgraded my room for the next five nights and gave us free dinner one night. The location isn't acutally on Khao San Rd but is really close. I actually preferred it this way because it's quiet enough to sleep. My girlfriend lost her iphone at the hotel and we went to Phuket not knowing she left it behind. I emailed the hotel (thinking there was no way it had been turned in) but sure enough they had it waiting for us when we returned back to Bangkok. For that reason, I will stay here again if returning to Bangkok.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brandon S
SawasdeeHotels, Manager at Sawasdee Khaosan Inn, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Brandon

I truly appreciate your feedback regarding your overall experience. I'am sorry for some inconvenience.
I hope you will offer us the opportunity to accommodating you and family again in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I have booked and paid for a room with transfer from the airport using the hotels online reservation page. I have had no information about how to make contact with the transfer pick up when I arrive at Bangkok airport. I sent an email asking the hotel confirm they had my flight details and asking for information about the transfer service. No reply. I have subsequently sent 4 more emails to various addresses on the hotels web page and had no reply. Will I be met? Who knows. If this is a taste if the service I will get at the hotel I am not looking forward to my stay. I will update this review after my stay.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank John W
SawasdeeHotels, Manager at Sawasdee Khaosan Inn, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear John W

Thank you for choosing SawasdeeKhaosan Inn as your home in Bangkok and for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

Nuttapol H.

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

County Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel was the worst experience of my travels and put a dent in it.
There are no lifts and no porter to help with bags so I had to carry a large suitcase and two bags up four flights of stairs. The hotel is very dirty. The room was filthy, ants in the bed which consistently bit us all night. Bathroom tiny had to shower over the toilet with the smell of stale urine and faeces lingering in the air. For me the worst part was at bedtime. The noise was deplorable. Had about an hr sleep in total as the music was so loud outside and the telephone in the bedroom rang about six times during the night. Left at 7am the next morning. Please do not be lured by the cheap prices, beware of this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank jamiehouli
Dear jamiehouli

Thank you for choosing Sawasdee Khaosan Inn as your home in Bangkok and for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed here at the start and end of my Starfish Thailand trip. First time I stayed in a dorm and the other time a double on my own and both rooms were tiny. Especially the bathrooms, I found it impossible to shower without banging my arms or body into something. You couldn't swing a cat in there. The rooms are very ugly decorated. If you are familiar with Premier Inn in England then think twice as bad and that is what you get here. For the price I am pretty sure you can find better value accommodation in Bangkok.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Dear Scottdogg90

Suzhou
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This hotel is really budget, however it don't mean they should still use the same bed clothing and towels then 10 years ago. Besides the room is renovated (with a ugly decoration anyhow) anything else from furniture to pillows and mattress seem to be from a decade ago.

Room Tip: There are no elevators. Low floor better
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Rafhael

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I arrived at Sister company hotel in Bangkok on 14th September 2013and finally after several minutes got a lift to the hotel..

2. At the hotel I waited and the 'Manager / owner ?' was rude with me and another Indian customer who arrived before me.
I was asked for my passport etc hotel e voucher etc by another employee. Made to wait and wait. Finally the 'Manager / owner ? ' looked at me with contempt and I said here's my paperwork and passport, she mumbled something and I responded excuse me I did not understand !
She Shouted "I SAID I HAVE NO ROOM FOR YOU, YOU FOLLOW HER !

I walk along a slum back dark path with my suit cases to another 'Hotel' some 5 minutes walk in a rat infested dark ally to another 'Hotel'.  The staff gave me a Little politeness and at least did not shout rudely at me !  The place is Awful very very noisy and I am very very unhappy indeed!

I feel my holiday in Bangkok is ruined I am typing this with such rowdy Noise and You informed me and arranged a place was stated as "Quiet and clean" It is extremely noisy indeed and dirty!  Sleep impossible! Some kind of late night Karaoke etc. That went on until 4am plus in the morning.

I got less than an Hours sleep that night / morning (15th September) I asked to be moved and was put in a room that Shower had No hot water and did not work and had No towels that no one would resolve or allow me to have. Who's 'Reception staff' was a smoking Thai / Chinese man who would not answer the phone I had to walk down to speak to him and he was rude and indifferent !

Finally after having Mosquitoes and possibly bed bugs bite me badly that night I had to pay for another hotel (Triple 8 hotel) in the middle of Bangkok city which was far more quite (than sold me), clean and free of insects with a Shower that worked and basin that was not hanging off etc etc and with Hotel Staff who cared.

Please for the sake of your Travel trip Do Not use this Hotel Chain.

Room Tip: No 'Fitness centre of Pool' Terribly Dirty, Terribly Noisy, Terrible Night / evening hotel s...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
SawasdeeHotels, ผู้จัดการ at Sawasdee Khaosan Inn, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
I am very sorry about the inconvenience in my hotel but I hope you will come back and stay with us again.

Thank you for your comment.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangkok
Four Sons Place
#549 of 863 in Bangkok
Mango Lagoon Place
Mango Lagoon Place
#488 of 863 in Bangkok

Been to Sawasdee Khaosan Inn? Share your experiences!