“Budget in a great location”

Sawasdee Khaosan Inn
Ranked #768 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Bangkok, Thailand
“Budget in a great location”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

The hotel is definitely budget but it's clean and amazingly located. The standard rooms were relatively clean and well serviced. Problems occurred but they were all sorted with relatively good grace. Everything is appropriate for a budget hotel. Khaosan Rd is just minutes away, Soi Rambutri is great for eating and amenities are all on your doorstep. Transport links are excellent. BEWARE OF THE TUKTUK AND TAXI DRIVERS AT THE DOOR. THEY WILL ROB YOU BLIND. No pool or anything like this. If luxury is as important as budget for you then this isn't the place.

Room Tip: Book early - room allocation is a lottery on arrival by the looks of things. Call ahead - email went...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Shudsie
SawasdeeHotels, Manager at Sawasdee Khaosan Inn, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Shudsie

Thank you for choosing Sawasdee Smile Inn as your home in Bangkok and for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community.
Your review helped us to re-enforce our service standards and kindly trust that we will work harder to improve our product and service .
I hope you will offer us the opportunity to accommodating you and family again in the near future.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I rated this hotel 4 star because It was really cheap. It costs only 800 baht for 2 person room with A/C, hot water and breakfast. Rooms are very small in size but clean. Breakfast is buffet and pretty good! If you are a traveler who travels whole day and only stay at the hotel at night than I think it'll be a perfect hotel for you.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Afzal H
Dear Afzal H

Thank you for your review about us. We hope you will be back and stay with us again next time.

Tempe, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My boyfriend and I have been backpacking through Thailand for a month now and this is BY FAR the worst hotel we have stayed in thus far. First of all, the internet wasn't working upon arrival. When it finally started working again, we realized they charge for wifi. They wanted us to pay for 24 hours of it when we were only going to be here for 12 more hours! When I tried talking to the front desk about getting part of the time for a cheaper price because the internet was out earlier, they refused. Also, we payed for a buffet breakfast when we checked in. The breakfast, of course, was nothing spectacular and wasn't even kept warm while being served. The food was all cold by the time we went downstairs to eat. The rooms are small, which isn't really a big deal. I can handle a small room. What was unacceptable was the fact that the room wasn't even clean! The bedding looked like it hadn't even been washed. Luckily, we had sheets and pillowcases with us and had to sleep on our own sheets because the provided ones literally had hair on them. In addition to all of this, we paid for a hot water shower and of course it didn't work. Way too much money to not have hot water working. DO NOT stay here! There are many other hotels in the area and I assure you that you would definitely be better off staying elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gina V
SawasdeeHotels, Front Office Manager at Sawasdee Khaosan Inn, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear My Customer

I truly appreciate your feedback regarding your overall experience. I'm really sorry if you was dissatisfied with our hotel's quality.

Thank you very much again for providing your time to write a review about

I hope you will change your mind and will offer us the opportunity to accommodating you and family again in the near future.

Nuttapol H.

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I arrived at the hotel at around 23:45 and sat in the lobby for nearly four hours to get into my room. The front desk attendant had gotten into a fight with one of the guests and was at the police station. There was actually no employees to be found at all. Thankfully, another guest with a young Thai girl helped me and was able to get me into a room. Not the way I wanted to start my trip to Bangkok. The hotel made up for it and upgraded my room for the next five nights and gave us free dinner one night. The location isn't acutally on Khao San Rd but is really close. I actually preferred it this way because it's quiet enough to sleep. My girlfriend lost her iphone at the hotel and we went to Phuket not knowing she left it behind. I emailed the hotel (thinking there was no way it had been turned in) but sure enough they had it waiting for us when we returned back to Bangkok. For that reason, I will stay here again if returning to Bangkok.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brandon S
Dear Brandon

I truly appreciate your feedback regarding your overall experience. I'am sorry for some inconvenience.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I have booked and paid for a room with transfer from the airport using the hotels online reservation page. I have had no information about how to make contact with the transfer pick up when I arrive at Bangkok airport. I sent an email asking the hotel confirm they had my flight details and asking for information about the transfer service. No reply. I have subsequently sent 4 more emails to various addresses on the hotels web page and had no reply. Will I be met? Who knows. If this is a taste if the service I will get at the hotel I am not looking forward to my stay. I will update this review after my stay.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank John W
SawasdeeHotels, Manager at Sawasdee Khaosan Inn, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear John W

Thank you for choosing SawasdeeKhaosan Inn as your home in Bangkok and for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

County Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel was the worst experience of my travels and put a dent in it.
There are no lifts and no porter to help with bags so I had to carry a large suitcase and two bags up four flights of stairs. The hotel is very dirty. The room was filthy, ants in the bed which consistently bit us all night. Bathroom tiny had to shower over the toilet with the smell of stale urine and faeces lingering in the air. For me the worst part was at bedtime. The noise was deplorable. Had about an hr sleep in total as the music was so loud outside and the telephone in the bedroom rang about six times during the night. Left at 7am the next morning. Please do not be lured by the cheap prices, beware of this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank jamiehouli
Dear jamiehouli

Thank you for choosing Sawasdee Khaosan Inn as your home in Bangkok and for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stayed here at the start and end of my Starfish Thailand trip. First time I stayed in a dorm and the other time a double on my own and both rooms were tiny. Especially the bathrooms, I found it impossible to shower without banging my arms or body into something. You couldn't swing a cat in there. The rooms are very ugly decorated. If you are familiar with Premier Inn in England then think twice as bad and that is what you get here. For the price I am pretty sure you can find better value accommodation in Bangkok.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Dear Scottdogg90

Nuttapol H.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangkok
Four Sons Place
#2 of 10 in Phrae
Rikka Inn
Rikka Inn
#346 of 858 in Bangkok

Been to Sawasdee Khaosan Inn? Share your experiences!