“Another good trip”

Ranked #123 of 871 Hotels in Bangkok
UK
“Another good trip”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Just back from a two night stay at this hotel. It is my third return trip. This time was part of my honeymoon. As a gold Hilton honors member we were upgraded which was nice and our bed was decorated on our first night as it was our honeymoon.
Overall our stay was great.
Breakfast as always was great. I do wish they did a 100% juice orange juice though, not the Thai OJ which has lots of added sugar. Other than that it is definitely one of the best hotel breakfasts I’ve ever had and is one of the things I look forward to about my stay.
The hotel itself is very grand and the biggest selling point is definitely the view – I could spend hours looking out at it any time of day or night.
I did note that some things seem to have gone down hill a little (in my view). The free shuttle boat is no longer over to River City, just to the BTS stop. This may suit most people but we like to go over to the nearest express boat stop or wander into China town, instead we got the local ferry (really easy to do and really cheap so not a massive problem not having the shuttle boat, but is notable that this service has changed). Also attention to detail in the rooms seems to have decreased, coffee was not replaced, had to ask several times for certain amenities, had a card through saying they’d tried to clean our room but couldn’t as we had a do not disturb up (true) but with false time on it (it was very early in the morning so clearly they should have been past later). Also the concierge could have been better, asked for advice on a small local market to spend an hour or so, despite being clear we were not interested in Chatuchuck (have been before and did not have time to do it justice) the concerirge kept insisting that was the only possible market. We asked for something smaller and more local we were told there was nothing. We walked 2 mins from the hotel to the Klong San Plaza and the market there was great for an hour of pottering, had my nails done and bought a few bits – just what we wanted. It’s definitely not a massive market, but it is a local Thai one where you can get some tasty food and soak up some atmosphere for an hour which is all we wanted.
The executive lounge was as always really good. Personally I wish you could serve yourself water and soft drinks as it can feel overly formal having to be served or go up and ask all the time. I understand why this is maybe done with alcohol, but I don’t see the issue with helping yourself to soft drinks.
The afternoon tea in the lounge was a delightful surprise – we popped in after a long day out for a quick soft drink and a handful of crisps as we were ravenous having not stopped all day and they brought out a proper afternoon tea for us which was a total surprise and absolutely lovely.
One thing that annoyed me is that we bought the map in our room and it was subjected to a service charge!! OK it's not much money but its the principle!! I did raise this as something that was annoying but nothing was done about it.
Having stayed at the newer Hilton for part of our honeymoon I am now feeling slightly torn. This was previous our favourite hotel in BKK – now I feel they have some good competition in the other Hilton!! They both had pluses minuses, I will definitely be back here as we love the view and also enjoy the location on the river (it is cooler), however some customer service was better at the other Hilton (more of a fuss made about our honeymoon/whether we enjoyed our stay/what we were up to each day etc), so will probably split our time here and at the other new hotel.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are worth upgrading to.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah6969pink
HiltonBangkok, Hotel Manager at Millennium Hilton Bangkok, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Sarah6969pink,

Thank you for your insightful feedback regarding your recent stay at Millennium Hilton Bangkok. I am happy to hear that you had a great stay with us but also sorry to hear that your experience failed to meet your expectations in some points. Your comments regarding map, service mind and Concierge suggetion have been shared to all department heads and related team member for further improvement. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate your comments as it is only through caring guests such as yourself and through your feedback that we are able to continually monitor and improve both the quality of our products and standards of services provided.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (738)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My partner and I stayed here for two nights at the end of our holiday in Thailand. Overall the hotel is very good, as one would expect of the Hilton chain. Particular highlights were the breakfast, which is excellent, and can be eaten outside by the river if desired, and the cocktail bar at the top of the hotel, which has a good view of Bangkok at night. There were several annoyances, however:

a) Wifi is insanely expensive - it would have added more than 10% to the cost of staying at the hotel to have Wifi access. This is a ridiculous price.

b) We arrived in our room to find a lot of space on the desk taken by a display of water bottles priced at a mere 250 THB per bottle - £5! We expected to leave rip-off merchants behind when we stepped off the Bangkok streets but apparently they are permitted in the Hilton. We felt that this was an unwelcome addition to the room and set the wrong tone.

c) Some welcome it, but the hotel has canned music in all public areas. The breakfast restaurant has it, even outside, as does the otherwise excellent pool area. I can understand it in elevators and the lobby, but why would I want to listen to 'muzak' next to the pool?

As noted, the hotel has a good poolside area and the room was comfortable and spotless. The breakfast selection is excellent and the staff were very polite and courteous. Room service was also prompt. Overall, I can recommend this hotel, subject to the annoyances listed above.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tristan E
Dear Tristan E,

Thank you for choosing Millennium Hilton Bangkok as you and your wife residence during your recent stay and for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. Your feedback is an essential part of our efforts to continuously improve our services and facilities.

We are pleased to learn that you have enjoyed your stay at Millennium Hilton Bangkok and found our breakfast, room service and pool area to your liking.

Your comments have been shared with to all department heads and related team member for further improvement. Rest assured that our team members endeavor to make a concerted effort to achieve ultimate guest satisfaction and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Millennium Hilton for 3 nights and have been very satisfied with the overall service. View from the room was spectacular and the same also from the Club Launch. The pool area is very clever designed and had for everybody the right spot to sit or take a sun bath, although the pool itself could be a little bigger. Food is very good and if you are interested to sit outside, at the riverfront, for Breakfast, lunch or dinner you will not be disappointed. Overall a very solid Hilton Hotel as one would expect in Asia.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Wozomuc,

Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at Millennium Hilton Bangkok. So glad you were able to experience our authentic Hilton hospitality. We are very pleased to know that our facilities and service provided by Team Members have contributed to making your stay a memorable one. We look forward to seeing you soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We've always stayed at Millennium Hilton everytime we visit Bangkok. Very good location hotel also provide free water shuttle to Sky Train station. Breakfast selections were great at the flow. Swimming was a bit small and in the shade but there are plenty sun loungers to sit in the sun on the shallow bit. Jacuzzi pools also in the shade so water can be quite cold in the morning. Service was excellent as always. We will definitely be returning to Hilton again on our next visit to Bangkok.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear mbducati,

Thank you for choosing Millennium Hilton Bangkok as your residence during your recent visit and for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback.

We would just like to let you know that we've very much appreciated your comment. It was our pleasure to have served you and we literally cannot wait for your next visit. We will try to give you better service each time for your return!

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I do not recommend to choose here in case of executive rooms. Windows are not clear and air conditioner did not work.Alarm was on at 6:00AM though holiday! The riverside in Bangkok has a lot of hotels, so deep consideration is better way not to disappoint.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

3 Thank Katsuhiko T
Dear Katsuhiko T,

Thank you for your insightful feedback regarding window stain and alarm clock. I am sorry to hear that your experience failed to meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies and rest assured that every effort is being made to address the issues raised.

Kembs, France
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I'm just coming back from a 4 nights stay with my wife at the Hilton Millenium Hotel and I'm still fr4eaming of it... First we were selected as guest of the day when we checked in which was offering us a free dinner, and upgrade to the executive plus room, a late check-out until 21.00 which is very convenient knowing that most of the overseas flight going out of Bangkok are leaving around midnight.
The breakfast buffet was provided in a special area reserved for executive room members and choice of food was great with very fresh products. The Dinner at the Flow restaurant and especially the buffet was just amazing from Sushi to Indian and thai Food to regular occidental food and an amazing dessert buffet. The price for the evening buffet is 1'800 THB (about 40 euros and by the way same price since more than 2 years) and is really worth the money.
Our room 1701 was huge with a wonderful view on the river.
The excutive lounge on the ThreeSixty bar level was also great with regular complimentary refreshment, afternoon tea and pre-evening cocktails.
Ther is also a very convenient free shuttle boat from the hotel to the BTS Skytrain Station which gives you access to the main public transportaion of Bangkok. I would also recommend to buy the daily pass for the Boat transportation on the Chao Praya river for only 150 THB (about 3.5 euros...). Fromthere you could access all the main sites to visit: Grand Palace, Wat Po, Wat Arun, Chinatown, Khao San Road etc...
I could continue to write much more but I have definitively to mention that the hotel Staff is just so wonderful and especially if you talk a few Thai words with them.
My last comment would be that I was staying there after a wonderful 3 nights stay at the Marina Bay Sands hotel in Singapore but I was still quite impressed by the Hilton Millenium and especially if you bare in mind that I've paid close to the same price for one night in Singapore as I've paid for the 4 nights in Bangkok...
I would definitvely go back to that hotel the next time I would stay in Bangkok!

Room Tip: The Executive Plus Room with River View is just wonderful (e.g. room 1701)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pgerwill
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We started our stay by using the hotel airport pick-up service which was hassle-free. While it is more expensive than getting a cab, we liked the convenience as we arrived at night and were travelling with 2 young boys aged 7 & 9.

We had booked 2 standard rooms but as HHonors Diamond members we were upgraded to executive rooms on level 29 which had fantastic views of the river. The rooms were clean and spacious (although no desk in the room which we thought was odd).

The executive lounge on level 31 is definitely one of the better ones we have been to. The views are amazing and there is plenty of room (seating outside available as well). The pre-evening cocktails are available from 5.30-7.30pm and the staff really look after you. They have a nice selection of canapés and pretty much any drink that you like (cocktails included). They also have I-Pads that can be borrowed for use but there isn't a computer with printer in the lounge, you need to go down to the business centre on level 30 for that.

The buffet breakfast at Flow was great. There is a good selection of food and you have the choice of eating indoors or outdoors and once again staff were extremely attentive.

The pool area is pretty amazing to look at! There are the lounges overlooking the river that are situated in the water, a beach area, the pool and even little private spas with lounges hidden around the corner from the pool - fantastic! There were always plenty of lounges available in the different locations. Our kids used the pool but it was definitely more aimed at adults rather than children.

Have read that others don't like the location as it is away from the main area of Bangkok but we really loved the location. They have a free shuttle boat that will take you to central pier and from there you can hop on the BTS skytrain or grab a ferry somewhere. We also grabbed a tuk-tuk from there that took us around the main shopping areas. At night there is another free shuttle that will take you to Asiatique.

We didn't eat at any of the on site restaurants apart from breakfast so cant comment on those, but it is worth going up to the rooftop bar for a drink and to just enjoy the view.

Room Tip: Executive Rooms are worth paying extra as they are value for money
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family