“Nice stay for 1 night”
Review of Retro39

Retro39
Ranked #405 of 1,383 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed 1 night only, feel comfortable, place was so accessible to restaurants around, just a few steps to BTS phrompong station, near Emporium and park. This is applicable for those looking for a budget hotel, if you are looking for a cheaper one this is right for you. I just noticed the shower room not that clean but over all nice and cheap.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Retro39, Guest Relations Manager at Retro39, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2015

Hello,

Thank you for your review. Retro39 is mainly known for its convenient location and facilities around our location. Thank you for recommending us. We look forward to seeing you again.

Best regards,
Retro39

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Amazing hotel, amazing room, friendly staffs, highly recommend the Retro Cafe (clean and good food). Rooms are new and clean with great room service. Staffs alway greet with a smile. The location is right in the heart of Bangkok surrounded with BTS, Shopping malls and other attractions. Looking for a clean boutique hotel? Go for Retro39. Thank you to the Retro Team :)

1  Thank Steve A
Retro39, Guest Relations Manager at Retro39, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2015

Greetings from Bangkok,

Thank you for such a lovely review. We love happy customers and we look forward to welcoming you again!

Best regards,

Reviewed 21 March 2014

This hotel is located probably 1min walk off the main Sukhumvit road with many coffee shops/restaurants nearby. The room was quite big with 2 double beds with very comfy pillows. The bad point was the proximity of my room to the elevator, every time someone got in/got out there was a loud metal noise which woke me up most of the night. Not sure all rooms are like this but mine front door was probably 3meter from the elevator so it was very noisy.
The breakfast served in the morning was European style but the quality wasnt very good, eggs and sausages didnt taste particularly well.

Greetings from Bangkok,

We are glad you enjoyed the room and will definitely work on your suggestions. We are known for our location which provides ease of access to anywhere in Bangkok with most of the modes of transport. We have a small variety of breakfast however, we will definitely work on its quality.

Thanks for the review and hope to see you again!

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Been to BKK 5 times and tried 5 different hotels, this is by far the worst stay of all even though this is supposed to be the newest of all. Good point has to be the location. I have to say this hotel has the best location among all my stays (say about 3 mins walk from hotel to BTS Phrom Phong station). Thumbs up for it's location. Breakfast has limited choices but taste is alright and dishes change everyday. There is fried omelette rice for breakfast near the BTS exit, a change for breakfast if you do not enjoy the hotel's breakfast.

Service: only 1 receptionist (thai) smiles at you when you enter the hotel. The rest of the staff (some young chaps) simply cannot make it, or I should say they do not even LOOK at you to acknowledge your present)! They were just playing games on mobile? Totally no service standard at all. Although this is not 5 star hotel but we expect basic acknowledgement. We extended our stay till evening. We paid at the front desk and was told the receipt will be delivered to our room (and we went out shopping). When we returned, there was no receipt in the room. On our last day, we were unable to enter the room with our card as they have forgotten the extension. What service is this?

Room: we were given level 7 rooms. Only two rooms on this level (no lift so we have to carry our luggage up ourselves from level 6). Room looks alright at first (clean and still quite new) but is not when we start using it. The quality of bed is really lousy. I have stayed in even cheaper hotels and inn with much better beds. The sink in the toilet chocks badly! It floods every time after we bath. I highlighted this issue to the front desk on day 1. Was told on the 2nd day morning that it takes 1 whole day to solve the issue. I said is ok to take 1 day to solve. Eventually, it still chokes on my 5th day. I doubted they took our comment seriously. No use telling them. I believe this issue has been there since long time ago. Next is the safe box. I dont feel safe using it at all because the safe is so light and can be easier carry away! They did not nail the box to the cupboard. Please do something about the lock of the balcony door in room 702. Is spoil and unable to lock. Next, because the floor is not carpeted, my long hair is very visible on the floor. Generally the standard of room make up is fine except the floor is not vacuum. Can be better. Construction next door and cars on the road is very noisy in the morning. The "ting" of the lift is very noisy! Can hear very clearly every night!

Chose this hotel because of it's location. Not much food choice at night. Maybe is only good for 1 night stay. Will not return again.

Room Tip: Dont choose level 7
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank w3ngal

Greetings from Bangkok,

We are sad to hear that you had a not so happy experience at our place. We will definitely work on your suggestions. Just like you pointed out, we are known for our location and provide basic essentials if compared to five star and so our price is really low compared to them. Our key point is convenience to get around the city with any mode of transport with our easy to access location.

Lastly, there are many food choices around the area even at night, Subway situated around the corner is open 24 hours. One can easily access to Sukhumvit 38 and enjoy street food or take a taxi to any Foodland as they too are open 24 hours.

Hopefully, we will see you again,

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Spent a few nights at this hotel upon arriving in Bangkok, and ultimately was satisfied... For the price the location is excellent, the rooms are new and well fitted, wifi is quick and shower is very good. They are also a good size and mine had a balcony and large window.

My only real problem was that it was very bland. Staff were not warm, and when I was sat in the bar on arrival, they were more concerned with talking amongst themselves than returning any conversation I tried. Also I was unfortunate to lose my key whilst staying here and was charged 500bt. Had it been a real key I'd have understood, but given it was an electronic key this is just ripping off a guest. I know how much they cost in the UK and this is a rip off.

If staying for one night on business it's ok, but nothing more.

Also, bed is VERY hard. I slept very well every night I was there, but bed may be too hard for some.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a window.

Hi Alex,

Greetings from Bangkok!

We agree to your review, we are known for our location as its very convenient to get around the city from RETRO39 as its located in Phrom Phong (next to the BTS sky train station). We are glad you liked your stay and will definitely work on your suggestions. Lastly, we are glad you slept well!

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

This hotel looks rather new. The room was pretty luxurous for the price I paid. A minibar, a good shower, a rather quiet A/C, a big bed, everything was there. Except for one thing... a window. I simply felt deceived. Can't remember I ever slept in a hotelroom without a window before. This made the nicely decorated room feel like I was sleeping in a box. Maybe other people don't bother about the lack of a window, but it would be a lot better if they tell this in advance, or lower the price of rooms without a window.

The woman who checked me in acted a bit strange I have to say. Didn't make me feel very welcome. 'Just one?' isn't that nice to hear when you are travelling on your own. It also felt like they didn't trust me. I had to pay everything in advance and when I checked out I had to wait for someone to check if I really didn't have anything from the minibar. It just didn't feel that nice. If I hadn't been honest they could have easily charged my creditcard. They had the number as I booked through booking.com.

And yes, I should have been a bit more assertive and ask for another room. There must have been rooms with windows. All in all maybe just bad luck...

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Retro39, Guest Relations Manager at Retro39, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Greetings Lonnes,

Regarding the concerns during your stay, Out of 26 rooms, We have only 4 rooms in the entire accommodation without windows and knowing this we sell the particular rooms at a very low price compared to other room types. The remaining 22 rooms are very well equipped with a balcony + seatings :). If we had known this to be your concern we would have very well upgraded your stay and equip you with an alternate room to assure you a comfortable stay.

It is a mutual policy of the hotel and booking.com (mentioned in your booking voucher) to hold the credit card details or take an advance deposit for safety concerns for both the parties (the guest and the hotel). We request our guests to wait for 2 minutes during the check-out in order to make sure that no belongings are left behind in the room, no damage has been done to the property and no minibar has been consumed. We do not want to charge the guests without notifying them as we believe it would be unethical to process the payments.

Thank you for forwarding to us your concerns,

Sincerely looking forward to welcome you back at Retro39 (This time, you will be given a balcony)

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed at Retro39 for our wedding anniversary. It was a home away from home. The room was modern and clean.The staff were very friendly and helpful. The in-house food was superb! The location was convenient with the BTS just around the corner. We specially like to thank Mr Dev and his team for decorating our room on our anniversary!! It was splendid!!! We definitely look forward to go there again! We strongly recommend all to stay in Retro39 :)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WilliamDharan
Retro39, Guest Relations Manager at Retro39, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Greetings WilliamDharan,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review and sharing the experience you had at Retro39 Hotel. We are truly glad to receive such a positive feedback from you, this statement of yours definitely motivates us to keep our rooms and services polished.

We had a great time decorating your room in order to surprise the both of you and We are glad to know that we have made your Special Day a memorable one during your stay at Retro39 !!

Looking forward to see you and your family very soon !

From the entire crew at Retro39
"Home Away From Home" - This statement is already an achievement for us.