Shanti Lodge
Okura Hotels
US$100
US$93
Travelocity
All reviewsthe riverprivate bathrooma great place to stayflower marketguest houserooms are basicair conditioningroyal palacemin walklodgingearplugspiercomfortriverboattaxisasia
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I used to live in Thailand and I've stayed at Shanti often over the last 15 years, but, unfortunately, no more. Basically it comes down to staff that just seem like they can't be bothered and value for the money. I've heard that things are much better when the owners are on the premises, but unfortunately I don't think they are there that often. Or not often enough. Or maybe that's not true to begin with. I don't know. But I think Shanti has just gotten so used to having repeat loyal clientele that they just don't put the effort in anymore. Both in quality of customer service and keeping the rooms up to standard. Rooms charmingly kitschy? Yes. Dark, noisy, and in needed of freshening up? Also, yes.

In addition to the staff frequently acting like guests questions or food orders are an annoyance to their personal lives, I've also been irked to find out on several occasions that I was paying grossly more than other guests for the same level of accommodation. Why? As far as I can tell, I once neglected to ask for a discount (my fault, but still annoying to be paying much more than others) and on another occasion there just happened to be a different person on the desk when I checked in versus people who arrived a later. Once I stood behind someone fresh of the street and she was quoted a lower price than me and I had just checked in half an hour earlier. When I asked why this was, the previously very polite person at the desk turned nasty very quickly and I got dark looks from her the rest of the day.

My dissatisfaction with Shanti finally caused me to branch out and discover Pra Athit (a street about 15 minutes walk from Shanti if you are walking towards Khao San) where I have been able to get much cheaper good quality accommodation, still enjoy relative quiet, have great food options that are not just for tourists, use the park across the street, and have direct access to river transport. Over the last few months I've been paying between 250- 550 baht for single accommodation with no complaints (250 for large clean fan room and shared bathroom and 550 for newly renovated rooms with a/c, TV, and very nicely done private bath). These are high season prices, low season prices are lower. I'm not trying to advertise this neighborhood specifically, but just point out what else is out there (besides Khao San) and why I just can't be bothered anymore with rude staff, dark often noisy rooms, and high uneven pricing.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Chris W
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

This guesthouse was really fun. The decor was bizarre, like a thai hippy jungle tree house. This was the first place I stayed on my first trip to Thailand so it was my first impression. The restaurant was fantastic and tom kha soup was chart topping. The staff is kind of stodgy but you wouldn't know the difference if you've just arrived from America. Some travelers there are fun and stayed up late on the patio to share drinks and stories but some were angry and pounded on my door because me and my friend were having too much fun too loudly. The showers are really nice and the location was a great place to start for me. I will go back for sure.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I've never stayed in a room quite like the top floor "family" room. After a long, winding climb through the place and down a hall, this large room overlooks the street and has a sweet bathroom - it's covered in unique mosaic which is quite impressive.

AC worked enough to keep things comfortable. Location is 10-15min walk from Koh San Rd, so that's fine. It's nice to be away from the craziness. Feels like you're at an island hostel, but it's in the middle of the city.

Easy access to the River Taxi (15 Baht), which is really the best way to get to the Sleeping Buddha, the Palace and/or Chinatown. Tuk Tuks are annoying to bargain with and, same as taxis, expensive.

Cafe downstairs is pretty good. Wifi fast everywhere.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mfrk
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

This place is a small slice of heaven amongst the hubbub of Bangkok. Brilliant value for money, friendly and good location.
Room could do with a new luck of paint, but otherwise just fine. Perfect for a few nights stopover, will definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 26 February 2014

For the money the Shanti is a great place to stay. Friendly staff and quirky decor all make for an enjoyable stay. The meals in the restaurant are great and delightful. The noise facot when trying to sleep is hard to take unless you get a room at the back. Bring earplugs. Great market just a stroll away.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family