Dynasty Inn
US$149
US$115
US$179
US$172
All reviewsnana plazamajestic suitesstandard roomthai and western foodnana sky train stationnon smoking roomroom safeup to dateflat screenroom service isdeluxe roomssuperb locationroom was largeconvenient locationstayed here for nightspattayanightlife
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I've stayed here many times over the past 12 years. The minus point (or plus, depending on your purpose of visit), is having to fight through food traders, arm-grabbing bar girls and persistent lady-boys as you enter the soi from Sukhumvit, especially later afternoon onwards. But once you have run that gauntlett, the hotel is a haven of peace. I usually have a budget room, which is currently 1,085 baht for a double room. The room is smallish, but sufficient if your intention is only to sleep. the bed is comfortable and clean. And I've never seen a cockroach in this hotel - something I cannot say for other 1,000 baht hotels in the area.

The decor is rather dark - wood panelling in the budget rooms, and there is only a small window. And the bathroom is small too. A large person may have difficulty with the WC as it's all a bit cramped. There are however bigger rooms at different levels of comfort. I've tried them all. Some have LCD TV's, but since I'm only in the room at night time, why pay more? It's sufficient. And there are light switches by the bed. The air conditioning can be controlled for temperature and fan speed. And the best of all, the cheap rooms are at the back of the hotel, so they are very quiet. The road outside (front) is a key red-light district as you will have guessed from my opening comments, so a room on the front can be quite noisy until late.

They also have an in-room massage service, though I've not tried it.

Finally, the breakfast is good, This morning I had the full breakfast - 175 baht. I missed the mushrooms and the HP sauce, but everything else was there including a full fry-up, a large slice of fresh pineapple, toast and marmalade (not jam!) and hot coffee. And a Bangkok Post to read (but you have to, leave it behind for someone else to read). My only complaint is that I ordered an extra coffee because the cups are quite small. They charged me 67 baht for another coffee - ridiculous. For 175 baht for a full breakfast, the coffee pot should be bottomless.

I full recommend this hotel. If you need a bathtub and a swimming pool, so around the corner to the Dynasty Grand. I've stayed there too, but expect to pay double.

Room Tip: This tip is not for the room but for getting a taxi. Do not get a taxi from the soi, especially outside the hotel. They never use the meter and can be very persistent. Walk 50m to the main Sukhumvit road and you will find ample taxis on meter without the hassle.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank cocoman101
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Solace isn't the intented experience. Not at Dynasty, and not anywhere in the Sukhumvit area. You don't go there to relax; you go to party. You can't grumble about the resonating house beats while you're trying to sleep or the noisy traffic as emerge from reception. If you moan, just go home, because staying in Sukhumvit is all about a decent bed, a decent shower, a good breakfast in the morning and somewhere to crawl back to at four in the morning with your new girlfriend(s) in tow. It isn't the Ritz, but it's elegant for the price, and it's a great location to access all the local bars and restaurants, taxis, Skytrain and so forth. Nothing but good memories at the Dynasty, and you get to see everything that downtown Bangkok has to offer.

Room Tip: As rearmost and high as possible to evade road noise.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank deanwarner99
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Some hotels are clearly on a downhill path and this is one. Apart from its proximity to Sukhumvit and,if it is your scene, the bars of Nana Plaza I can think of no other positives. The front desk is brisk, the old rooms at the front (1280 baht) are tired but cheaper than the rooms at the back (1480 Baht). Neither room include breakfast and the ground floor cafe is poor value and tempts only those who cannot be bothered to find somewhere better nearby. There is however a good and free internet provision.
If this is your price range there are much better and newer options a little further down Soi 4 - ibis Hotel, Dawin or the Orchid or Petals Inns.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank travelbug47london
Reviewed 21 May 2013

During one of my many stays in this hotel I wanted to go to my room and change clothes before going out to dinner, I had 2 friends with me that happened to be ladies (not working ladies) whom were going to accompany me to my room to watch TV and have a drink while I showered and changed. We were stopped at the front desk and they demanded I pay more money to take 2 ladies to my room, after explaining, the young female receptionist said it was hotel policy. The conversation got heated and my friends basically were accused of being working ladies,they started talking Thai and got quit heated as well, and it was stated to me by the receptionist if I didn't like it I could change hotels. This was my third night there. My friends were made to feel cheap and I have never heard of this before in any other hotel I have stayed in. The back rooms are OK but the front rooms are old and need some work. Cleaning staff and food are ok.

Room Tip: ask to stay in the back rooms
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank bobjmars
Reviewed 28 April 2013

everything was good. i have been going there for over 8 years.

Pros: 2 secend walk to the action!
2 minute walk to tram (Skyline)
COns. Very very friendly front desk staff

Cons:
The maids INSIST in ringing your door bell to make up your room even with DO NOT DISTURB sign on. Why, so they can clean the room and move on to exit floor and go home early. Don't blame them for wanting to get it done but come on, i got a hangover and want to sleep in. Plus the radios they use are very loud at 8 am in the morning.

Still overall like the place.....

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo