“Excellent Stay”

Ranked #87 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Penang Island, Malaysia
“Excellent Stay”
Reviewed 16 March 2011

Me & a group of Friends (about 45 ppl) travelled to Bangkok End of Oct 10. We got to stayed at Shanghai Mansion Hotel due to the Thai Airlines packages. as for myself, i got to stay at Suite room as the package for lead in category has fully booked. What I can say about this boutique hotel is..EXCELLENT!! We reached the hotel in the afternoon via Coach. Immediately their bell man assisted us to unload all luggages and stuffs. We were brought to the lobby for check in. Everything went smooth until the moment we reached our rooms. The room was good & excellent. The interior design of the room is superb. What impressed us the most was their pond - landscape outside our room, which created a difference scenery & atmosphere. We stayed there for 2 nights. Breakfast was good..Unfortunately, we do not have much time to explore more about the hotel. Locatiion is good, located at China TOwn area which is full of food & ppl at night.

• Stayed October 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 12 March 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights in March.
Located slap bang on the main road of chinatown, I was so surprised at how quiet this hotel was! There was buidling work going on during our stay but every day we had a charming letter through our door apologising, and with a voucher for 2 free cocktails at their bar!
The room was beautiful - really thoughtful and tasteful decor. We had silk drapes and two single four poster beds in our room, and even a cute little birdcage in the bathroom. Sleep quality was good as the room was comfortable and quiet.
The mini bar was an especially nice touch - they would re stock it every day with water,
juice, biscuits and crisps. there was free internet in the lobby as well.
The breakfast was definitely the BEST thing about this hotel. You could order a full english, pancakes, or french toast, then there was cafetiere coffee and a selection of fruits, juices, yoghurts and breads to help yourself from. An oriental style breakfast was also available which I didn't try but there were soups, noodles, spring rolls, etc. A seriously impressive selection fro breakfast then!
The only downside of this hotel was the location. the metro is about a 15 min walk away and we kept getting lost! Taxi drivers and tuk tuks outside the hotel try and rip you off but if you asked the hotel guard he was better at getting you a taxi at a fair price!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 8 March 2011

This Hotel is realy beautiful and I can recommend everybody to stay some days in this wonderful hotel. The Hotel personal is very friendly specially the people at the receiption desk( Nuch and NA) could help me for every wish I had. The breakfast is very good and I also can recommand to join a drink in the dinning room. Marc Mathys

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Amsterdam
Reviewed 6 March 2011

we stayed here for 3 nights during chinese new year and as this hotel is in chinatown it was great with most of the festivities taking place directly outside. The loaction is not too bad but due to the heat you're best catching a licensed taxi to the temple's which are not far. the rooms are clean with a very chinese influence which makes a pleasant change, the room we were in had no views but then the coloured glass screens prevent seeing anything. The room are quite dark which adds to the ambience but too dark at times, there is a mini-bar which is complimentary but it is only stocked with ice-tea, pepsi and water which was great when you returned to your room. Breakfast was good plenty of choice for all and with a 4 hour opening period should suit most. we did not eat in the hotel as there was so much choice on the doorstep, we tried a couple of places opposite think one was called won ton house which were fine. I would rate the hotel good but not quite very good. the only scam we came across was the Tuk Tuk one where a driver will take you all over the city for a small fee (ours 10 baht) but they end up taking you to tailors, jeweller and clothes/gift store, we didnt buy anthing so harmless but just a nuisance. a good trip though and lucky to be there during the chinese new year celebrations. we had transfers included but the train station was only 15 minutes away and I think there is link straight to airport.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Based on reviews on tripadvisor, I chose Shanghai Mansion over the chain hotels for a romantic two nights in Bangkok with my wife after a week in Chiang Mai with family.

Good Points:
The decor and furnishings really do give a 1920s Shanghai vibe.
If you like the hustle and bustle of a real Chinatown, this could be the hotel for you.
The ornamental fish pool is a very nice touch, as is the library.
If you like your hotels to be "green", this is one for you.
The bathroom was huge, with an excellent shower.
The staff were attentive and helpful.
The price on the hotel's own website was very good, and was cheaper than booking through Expedia UK.

Bad Points:
It's a LONG way from the airport (about 90 minutes in rush hour).
The airport transfer is poor value at 2,100THB for the both ways.
The huge bathroom had no bathtub.
The four-poster bed, while stylish, creaked and rattled. It also had a panel on one side, making it impossible to get out on that side! Not great for a middle-of-the-night trip to the bathroom.
The mattress was hard and uncomfortable.
The room's walls looked dirty.
The windows are all coloured, patterned glass and do not open, making the room quite dark.
When you remove the room-key from its socket, the electricity to the room is cut off, turning off phone chargers, etc, and also the a/c so you return to a hot room.
The hotel lobby is one level up from the street, via an escalator. The entrance at the bottom is open to the street and is shared with a supermarket. When you get to the bottom of the escalator, you are immediately accosted by tuk-tuk or taxi drivers.
The hotel restaurant/jazz club (more like cover band club...) was no more than okay, and may have contributed to or caused the stomach complaint which struck both me and my wife a couple of hours after we ate there.
The rooms have flimsy double doors which do nothing to keep noise out.
The sofa and chairs in the room were uncomfortable.

I really wanted to like this hotel, and was really looking forward to it after staying in a small apartment with my in-laws, but it just wasn't the gem I was expecting. It perhas didn't help that after the slower pace of Chiang Mai, Bangkok seemed to be full of the worst sort of touts. Every (and I mean EVERY) taxi driver or tuk-tuk driver I saw had a "sponsor" to whom he would take us, and would charge us more if we refused. These "sponsors" were either tailors or brothels.
That the hotel is in a busy street with no buffer zone between the hotel and the street really does make it less relaxing a place to stay, however serene it may be once you're inside.
Price was not a major issue to me, though in retrospect I should have paid more for a reliable, branded hotel. If you want style on a budget (I paid 2,500 BHT per night for a supposedly superior room) and want to be in the thick of things, by all means give it a try. For a relaxing escape and a room you can relax in during the day, go elsewhere.

1 Thank ScotsCanuck
London
Reviewed 26 February 2011

We arrived at the Shanghai Mansion after a very cramped van trip from Hua Hin and a 45 minute tuk-tuk journey in peak traffic (when is it not in Bangkok??) so we were a little frazzled to say the least. As soon as we walked in the gorgeously perfumed air of the hotel and the wonderfully styled lobby made us smile immediately as we knew we had found a gem. The staff were lovely, check in was quick and our room was absolutely beautiful - vintage Shanghai style with chandeliers, velvet and a HUGE tub. Very sexy would be the room in a nutshell!

I later realised we had not recieved all of the package we had booked online which was meant to include flowers in our bath, flowers on the bed and fresh fruit in the room. I met the manager in the hallway by chance and she apologised and assured me it would be sorted out. 20 minutes later she comes back with another member of staff with beautiful lotus flowers for our bath in a wooden box and a bottle of champagne with two bars of Cadbury's Dairy Milk (she had picked up on my accent) and other assorted treats as an apology, which we greatly appreciated.

The bar that night (and most nights I think) had great live music and lovely staff. We only had breakfast there, which was delicious, so I can't comment on lunch/dinner but I heard from other guests the food was excellent. The location right in the middle of Chinatown is exciting and lots of fun and it's very close to all the other main things you would want to see in BKK. Can not recommend enough.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Osaka, Japan
Reviewed 20 February 2011

My wife and I stayed in room 305 for 2 nights in Feb. Upon arrival, the porter was ready and willing to help us with our luggage from the taxi. Check-in was quick and easy and we received a refreshing towel and drink in the lobby. Staff informed us of breakfast time and gave us a free wifi internet card - we were then taken to our room. The room was very comfortable - lovely wide sofa, king bed, free standing bath, plenty of room to swing a cat. Outside the room is a small balcony overlooking the hotel atrium - great little nook to read a book. Location of the hotel is ideal - there was an excellent street restaurant set up the down the road from the hotel offering cheap and tasty thai dishes, I forget the name, but the staff were wearing green uniforms. There is a supermarket directly next to the hotel.

I would highly recommend this hotel - we paid about $95 per night, room 305.