“Cracks in the facade...”

Shanghai Mansion Bangkok
Ranked #83 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Ok, so this is a really beautiful hotel. When you arrive you're greeted by staff, there is an escalator up to the first floor (reception/lobby) and you are welcomed with cold towels and chrysanthemum tea (yum).

The place is fragranced with peppermint oil. It is heavenly. You get to your room and will be blown away by how nice it looks.

Unfortunatley we didn't have such an enjoyable stay. We got in late on the first night after a flight from Australia. There was a noise in our room but we were so tired that we just put up with it. I wasn't totally impressed with the cleaning standard either. The next day I talked to staff about the noise and they offered us another room (double instead of twin as this was 'the only room they had'), also on the 5th floor. It wasn't long before we started to hear this reoccuring noise again. It's like some kind of machine that is switching on and off again. It's not the fridge or aircon but staff didn't give me any hints as to what it might be.

I went and talked to reception again and the lady was visibly annoyed with the inconvenience.... I wasn't being rude or implolite - I just couldn't rest or relax in my room with this continual noise.

We were offered a room on the 4th floor and it turns out that they did have a twin room available after all. The downside of this was the bed I chose smelled like the sheets hadn't been cleaned - I could smell someone's shampoo on the top sheet and one side of the pillow. The other bed seemed fine. As crazy as it sounds I was too tired to deal with the girl at reception again and just lived with this for the night. After my room had been cleaned the next day I checked and the sheets and pillowcase still haden't been changed. There was a different girl on duty so I asked her for some clean bedding and it was sorted out within about 10 min.

Cotton restaurant is great for breakfast - the staff are super friendly and warm. We dined there for dinner on our first night but the food was terrible. We had crispy skin chicken, this was luke warm, and a soft shell crab dish that was full of watery scrambled eggs. With tea and a softdrink for my son the total came to $15! Really a bit pricy for Bangkok. The next day we had a great Japanese dinner somewhere else that was only $10.

The location can be a plus or minus depending on what you like. We don't really like Chinese food but there is a lot of it around if you're into it. The hotel is close to Wat Pho and the Grand Palace but you could catch a taxi or tuk tuk from any where to visit these places. We found it difficult to get to places such as MBK at different times of the day because the traffic can be jam packed and the street that the hotel is on goes in the opposite direction. There is also a problem with taxi touts in front of this hotel who try to rip you off by not using the meter. It's up to you if you go that way.

Also, wifi is very slow and something weird happened when I set my phone (for browsing) to remember the password. I had an endless numbers and letters in the username and password boxes - it made it impossible to connect unless I cleared all remembered passwords and started from scratch. There are computers in the lobby if you need them.

One great thing about this place is the older gentleman who is on the door at night and early morning. He is so friendly and kind. He's great at hailing tuk tuks and negotiating a good price.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Cherrytree79
Write a ReviewReviews (2,532)

Reviewed 22 December 2011

I stayed at the Shanghai Mansion initally for just one night in June 2011 then returned for a week in late August 2011. My first, inital night was good. I arrived late in the evening after a very long flight and was dealt with efficently by the staff. They upgraded my room as they had overbooked my room catergory - but I welomed this as it meant I had a bath in the room instead of just the shower as is the case in the cheaper rooms. The interior is really very beautifully decorated - a mix of old-style chinese furniture and fittings with colonial grandeur. My room was clean, had great air-con and the bed large, soft and comfortable. The lighting was excellent and the overall theme was carried off well - with the style of a boutique hotel. I really enjoyed my first night and I decided to return and stay at the tail end of my trip in August.

My august stay was not however as wonderful. I arrived in the late afternoon, having booked (and fully paid for) my room prior to arrival. I hadn't been able to print my reservation out but did not think this would be an issue. On arrival, no-one helped me with my bags, there was a queue at reception and lots of people standing around trying to chck0in or out. I found somewhere to rest my luggage and about 20 minutes later it was my turn at the desk. I explained that i had booked for several nights and handed over my passport to help them locate my booking. I was told that they could not find my booking and i needed to print off my reservation details. I was very rudely marched to the back office where a girl stood over me whilst I used the (very slow) computer to log into my email as get my confirmation. This was printed and the girl walked off - leaving me to log-off the computer. The stroppy girl on the desk then handed the bell boy several keys and he began waking off - i was told to "follow, follow". I carried my own luggage and we went to the 5th floor. Here I was shown a selection of very dark, musty smelling rooms. None of these were like the room I had on my first night. I picked the one that seemed best. The bell boy said "if you don't like it, call reception" which i sensed was a familiar statement. I was tired and so I decided againist calling reception that evening. I fell into the bed (which was very comfortable and pretty - nice four poster). The room, I decided, was quite well arranged and stylish. It was the smell was very off-putting. The next morning I complained about the smell but was told there were no other rooms available at present. On my return later that day, I noticed that house keeping had failed to clean the shower/bathroom at all and the smell remained. I spoke to reception again who dismissed my concerns again. They sent up a house keeper a bit later but she simply sprayed an air-freshener until I could breathe no more and had to ask her to leave! As I had pre-paid, I had no opportunity to get a refund and go elsewhere so I decided I would just try to spend as little time in the room as possible. I went to the communal areas often, but I found that the main reception area where they have free internet and laptops to use was INFESTED with biting insects. I got so many bites from sitting there.

Over the course of the week, I also noticed other things which i guess I hadnt picked up on from my inital one night stay. the lack of any daylight (either in the room or in the areas outside) became quite depressing. When you come to a hot and tropical country it does feel odd to wake up in complete darkness every morning. The hotel also has a chinese song playing on loop all day and night (24 hours) in all the public areas starting from the moment you step out your room. This becomes very annoying after a while.

The location is also so-so. Even with the printed map, taxi drivers still got lost and there isnt a MTR that is very close. The guys on the entrance working for the hotel who are suppose to help you get a taxi are all working with their mates who are local taxi drivers. I wanted to go across town one day with a big case (a ride I had done many times and I knew on meter would cost me nothing more than 75Baht). I would usually grab the cab myself but asked the guys at the entrance to flag me a regular metered taxi as I had my case. they did so and then told me it would cost 300 baht. I obviously declined. I had a similar incident when I was leaving and asked them to flag me a cab. They were trying to treble the fares once more so I had to walk two blocks away just to get clear of their scams - very poor indeed! Just to be clear, this was not the hotel's own taxis and hence a price difference - this was just scamming! Really awful - i have never had that before and left a really bad impression.

The hotel needs to seriously improve its service and general operations as well as improve the smell and ambience of the rooms. I think, as there are no windows and very limited ventillation this causes the issues. Its quirky, its different and worth a short stay if you are in chinatown but in Bangkok - iwht so many options - they are better. I stayed at the Conrad (AMAZING), the Lebua (also fantastic) and the Swissotel (very good) all of which are far far better choices.

Room Tip: If you are staying, pay the small extra and get one of the more expensive rooms on the lower floors.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Alicetravels_11
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Rooms are nicely decorated yet small. The hotel staff was efficient and welcoming, there is an ATM and Supermarket on ground floor. Hotel is 15min walk to next station; centrally located in China Town

Room Tip: Choose rooms that don't face street!!! Or have direct Air conditioning over beds..
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We spent 2 days and nights here - very stylish and comfortable start to our holiday. Fantastic location in the heart of China Town - so much life going on around you. The hotel serves as a welcome retreat from the hustle and bustle going on around. Excellent service - not sure about the cooked breakfast though.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah M
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Greeting with cool towels and a complimentary jasmine tea is the perfect way to arrive into the hustle and bustle of Bangkok. The retro Shanghai style decor looks fresh and the hotel is full of gorgeous little quirky touches, I loved the little faux bird cage in the shower. The rooms are not enormous, but are still generous compared with European standards. The concierge was helpful giving us taxi tips and helping us with changing our newly purchased Thai phone to English so we could use it. The live musician playing over the pond in the centre of the hotel added perfectly to the air of calm admist the madness of busy Bangkok.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank CloudPixie
Reviewed 28 November 2011

This wonderful hotel sits slap bang in the middle of Chinatown, which holds all the buzz of the crazy Bangkok day and evening life. The hotel itself has some fabulous designs based on Shanghai and is a haven of peace and quiet from the noisy street outside. Basic but fabulously arty rooms, its a far cry from the boring box like hotels that can dot around Bangkok. Loads of character and a great spot to stay to explore Bangkok. amazing seafood stall just down the street that just buzzes with energy and life. Take the chaos on the chin and absorb the sheer magic of a vibrant part of Bangkok.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back away from the main street. We stayed at the back and didnt really hear a...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LairdJ34
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Great place to stay, stayed in Bangkok many many times over last 12 years but never in chinatown,,,,will in future though.

Beautiful fitted out hotel , truly in Shanghai 1920's style. Right in the heart of chinatown amongst great Chinese/Seafood restaurants.

The hotel interior is beautiful.

Stayed during the Bangkok Flooding (very close to the river) and the staff were very helpful.

The breakfast was also a real treat , not just standard hotel breakfast , it was a real tasty feast with western , thai and chinese foods.

Very highly recommended!