“Gorgeous boutique hotel”

Shanghai Mansion Bangkok
Ranked #84 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 2 February 2013

My partner and I stayed here in May 2012 for two nights at the beginning of a month long trip around Thailand and for one night at the end of our holiday. The hotel itself is beautiful and so relaxing despite being situated on the main front street of busy China town. The staff were all so helpful and friendly; in particular the gentleman who carried both of our backpacks to and from our room and the hotel security guard. (The only small issue was the lack of English speaking staff.) The hotels buffet breakfast offered lots of choice of food and drink which was all very nice. Would definitely recommend a stay here! :-)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MSwan1989
Write a ReviewReviews (2,537)

Reviewed 1 February 2013

It's a shame, 'cause this place has potential. But no one wanted to hear about our issues. Or, if they did, they did not speak English well enough to take the issues on board.

1. Maps. It seems that everywhere else in town, really detailed tourist maps are handed out at will. The only map this hotel provided on request was a generic and completely useless map of the subway system. I fortunately found a map I'd tucked into a pocket while we were passing through the airport, or we would have been sunk.

2. Charging for reservations. When we asked the front desk for assistance in making a dinner reservation, we were advised it would cost us for the phone call they would make on our behalf. I have never, ever been charged by a hotel for making a dinner reservation. Anywhere. The desk told us that this was a standard practice in Thailand. We had just come from four nights in Koh Samui where the hotel happily made multiple reservations for dinner and for diving.

3. We asked at the front desk whether tours were available. We were told, quite emphatically, no. When we went to breakfast the next morning, we noticed a tour desk across for the restaurant that instructed guests to inquire at the front desk to arrange a tour.

4. We checked in on a Thursday for a three-night stay. As we were waiting for the tuk tuk to leave for the Palace on Friday morning, we noticed a teeny little sign in the shadow on the desk downstairs that there was a Manager's Reception for guests on Friday evening. This was the only "invitation" we received. We had already made our full plans for the day, and I would have loved the opportunity to share my frustrations with the manager.

5. Many of the guest-facing staff can barely speak and/or understand English.

6. There was no shampoo in my room. I discovered this when I'd already started my shower and had grabbed only bath gel. No one answered my phone call at the front desk. I had to dry off, get dressed, and find staff at the front desk. The staff at the front desk could not understand what I was asking for and I had to wander until I found the manager of event services to help me.

7. Lack of internal communication. Reception is up one flight from the street. When we were departing, we asked for a taxi and were told that the staff at street level would arrange one. We went downstairs and asked for a taxi - where we told the front desk must call one. We went back and forth like this for 20 minutes before we got a cab.

The place is cute and different. But frustrating, because it could easily be so much better.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cooperson
Reviewed 30 January 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in Dec 2012. The hotel is situated in the heart of China town, an excellent location, markets and restaurants are on your doorstep, a really exciting bustling area to explore. But inside the hotel it is peaceful and calm, all the staff are friendly and attentive, the lady on the front desk was always there to assist with all our questions all done with patience and a smile. The room was lovely decorated in a Chinese style, it was clean comfortable and if you like firm beds, you will not be disappointed it was excellent, the best bed we slept in on our journey. The breakfast was delicious, our favourite was the dim sum they were superb the staff in the breakfast area were very helpful and attentive. An excellent boutique hotel, brilliant location, good value for money, attentive staff, perfect breakfast what more could one ask for.. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sharonlinda01
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I have recently stayed here and it is a nice escape from the hustle and bustle of Chinatown and its authentic smelling streets. The hotel's decor is particularly suiting considering its location and all the rooms are decorated slightly different with a definitive Chinese style, thus adding to the atmosphere. One criticism I do have though, was within our room the hotel lighting outside in the atrium shone through our windows, and therefore made it occasionally difficult to get to sleep, but we soon got used to it. The hotel is ideally situated close to the Hua Lamphong railway station which is ideal for travellers wishing to use the rail network and sleeper trains. Its location within Bangkok itself is reasonably central, so you never really have to travel that far to any of the City's main attractions or popular areas. The service and value for money is second to none, with helpful staff and efficient service providing you with recommendations for restaurants, tours, and translating to taxi drivers where you wish to go.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert D
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We stayed in this great hotel whilse it was still having a bit of DIY on it. It is beautiful though. The rooms are truely spectacular and very original with beautiful beds and lovely floors and bathrooms. The staff are amazingly polite and very helpful. There is a handy supermarket below which is great for emergency water! The hotel is in the mental China town district which we loved but some people may find too busy! The smells and food and everything is part of the experience of Bangkok! The reception area was great at SM and we really loved it and the indoor fountains and balconies from the rooms are really memorable! Despite the madness and noise outside, when in your room it is totally silent so you will get a good night's sleep!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CAROLLIE27
Reviewed 26 January 2013 via mobile

A terrific place. Perfect location in China Town, with its own excellent in-house dining that it's a real shame to leave to try out the many excellent places to eat nearby which it is a necessity to do in this city. The staff get my full marks for friendliness and helpfulness, going out of their way to advise and assist. I love the character and charm of the building, I think the decor is wonderful, and with free wi-fi throughout the hotel I'm actually writing this from the comfort of one of the many arm chairs about the place. Good servives including: my wife enjoyed the Thai cooking lesson on offer by the hotel chef, we caught the free hotel Tuk-Tuk to the grand palace; we're very happy that there was the offer of free late check-out in our package given our awkward flight times; and the reception and front entrance staff are always helpful with directions to local shops, ATMs, etc. One thing we discovered was that when we found our own tour company to visit some sights they charged us just the same as what the recommendation was from the hotel staff, except that with the other mob we were packed into a crowded, hot, mini-bus so we're sorry we doubted the staff here; for the same cost we could've had an air-conditioned taxi to ourselves. The food here deserves special mention; the buffet breakfast caters for all tastes, from the full English to continental to Asian, and I sampled it all and loved every bit. I enjoy my sausage, bacon and beans but my favourites were the one (perhaps amusingly) called Morning Glory (stir fried green vegetable of some kind) and could die for these custard dim sims they have. We were particularly happy with the free lunch voucher they gave us, including Thai food such as a great soup, and had two evenings in the Cotton Restaurant/bar on the third floor listening to the very smooth live music and a glass or two of the delicious Thai red wine. Full marks for this hotel from us, we'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Tassielad
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I stayed here in January, 2013, and I really enjoyed my stay. The hotel is extremely comfortable, and the staff go out of their way to please. The rooms are kitsch: done in black lacquer in a stylized Chinese manner. The bed was quite comfortable. If I had one complaint, it was the double wood doors which, while stylish, cut the room's privacy.
The staff was ever eager to please, helping me with transport and other advice. The internet worked fine, and breakfast was great (fresh dim sum, omelets made to order, and the usual juices, etc).
Even better was the location, 500m from the metro but in the middle of Chinatown, away from the main tourist haunts of Silom and Sukhumvit. I loved just stepping out the door of the hotel. I would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo