“High expectations... not really met. Going in the right direction though.”

Shanghai Mansion Bangkok
Ranked #86 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
London, England
“High expectations... not really met. Going in the right direction though.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2010

First off, this is a good hotel... just not as good as it thinks it is.

I chose to stay here after seeing the beautiful photographs of the interior on i-escape and the many positive comments describing it as a throwback to 1920s Shanghai. It looks and sounds perfect and the prices look very reasonable for such a 'boutique' hotel.

I've stayed in Bangkok before, but have become sick and tired of all the unwanted (in my case anyway) attention you get in the 'popular' areas as a single travelling male. Chinatown is very different in that respect, it's a highly interesting area with good transport connections to other many other must-see sites around Bangkok.

My first issue was at the airport. Chinatown is very well located for airport limos and taxis, only requiring you to be off of the raise-highway for a few blocks in that famously bad Bangkok traffic. However, no one had heard of the 'Shanghai Mansion', so my advice is to carry the address (or phone number) on you for the driver. I believe the confusion may have been caused by the re-branding to Shanghai Mansion from Shanghai Inn not so long ago. Another tip is to ask to be taken to the 'Chinatown Hotel' which is located directly across the road. This is more likely to register with taxi and tuk tuk drivers.

On arrival there were staff waiting at the bottom of the escalator, which leads up to the hotel on the first floor. They have a list of guests arriving that day and were very quick to assist me. You can spot the building by a big vertical sign on the side that says 'Cotton', this is the name of the jazz bar they have on the second floor.

Check-in was quick; I was then taken to my room which was surprisingly on the same floor as the 1st floor lobby. I had a suite to myself, and it was a pretty huge space and contained an enormous bed, a Chinese daybed opposite the television, a huge freestanding bathtub and separate toilet and shower rooms. First impressions were pretty good! I was tired so went to sleep.

This was when the flaws started to get exposed. Yes, I was going to be quite early (maybe 9pm), but I'd been travelling all day and was shattered. Getting to sleep wasn't easy though due to the noise. My room had the following problems:

1) noise from people in the lobby - especially women wearing high heels
2) noise from the jazz bar echoes all around the open atrium
3) noise from outside - especially very late when businesses slam their metal shutters

The next morning I got up feeling better, but not as refreshed as I would have liked. I had a look around the room. A few other flaws stood out as I looked around the room:

> Although the furniture and style is beautiful, there are some ugly design features such as ugly white plastic light switches and cheap looking spot lights.
> Poorly fitting furniture. For example the wardrobe door hit the wall before opening enough for drawers to be accessed. I also had to physically move the minibar around inside the wooden cabinet to open the door, even then the fridge door still knocked against wood when opening.

The bathroom is also a bit of a missed opportunity. Sure I was alone, but I was surprised that such a large, intimate bath came with no bubble bath, salts or even any soap. My room only had shower gel and shampoo containers in the shower room, there wasn't even any soap next to the sink. Strange for a 'boutique' hotel.

Other minor things were that the television would lose its signal frequently, sometimes for a few minutes at a time, which made watching anything with a story pointless. The room also seemed to be lacking any guest information about the hotel and facilities, no guide to TV channels or information about breakfast and so on.

That may all sound pretty negative, but none of them are real deal breakers... just missed opportunities. The rooms and hotel interior are still very nice vs most Bangkok hotels and the location is perfect if Chinatown is for you.

A couple of good highlights worth mentioning are the fast, free wifi that they offer guests. I lost connection a few times, but it was easy to connect to and a good speed for Thailand. The room also came with a few good freebies in the minibar (two bottles of water, two soft drinks and one beer (I guess you'd have to fight over it if you're a couple) and some chips. The air-conditioning system was also very good.

The next few nights I tended to stay out later, so when I got back the only real noise was those metal shutters from the shops in the street below by room. Service was pretty good, I never ate there (you're in Bangkok, in Chinatown - what's the point!), the door staff were very good at remembering me and were very polite.

All in all it's a great location, reasonable prices for the level of comfort, but could be one of the best hotels in Bangkok if they just raised the bar a little and paid more attention to detail. Also, whilst the jazz bar is nice, I really don't see it becoming a 'place to be' due to the location. Just a regular lounge bar, old Shanghai style would be better.

So would I go back again? Yes, but I wouldn't make this the only hotel I'd check rates for. It's worth checking out for a few nights, especially if you're interested in Chinatown and want to avoid the more seedy side to Bangkok. Hopefully they'll continue to improve it, there's a lot of potential here.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank viaBloomsbury

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Cambridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2010

We chose this hotel for our first visit to Bangkok. The hotel was beautifully decorated and very clean, the staff absolutely lovely and very helpful. The only drawback of this hotel is the location as it is gridlocked from 7am till 7pm and the air is particularly polluted and hot. We found that travelling by tuk tuk was the easiest option for getting through the traffic (and good fun too - but be aware of the fuel discount stops!!).

We enjoyed our time there and found the hotel very good value for money but probably would stay in a different location if we went to Bangkok again. Please note that we were travelling with our 15 months old daughter and the hotel staff was great.

If you intend to go on day trips, shop around and don't buy from the hotel if you can avoid it.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2010

I was immediately besotted by the Chinoiserie decor of this hotel and was very excited by arriving. The outside of the hotel is a little unusual; there were bellboy staff on the ground floor, but you have to go up an escalator to get to the actual hotel which is odd. They do have a charming sign welcoming the new guests of the day however, which was amusing. Check in was quick, and the staff member who took us to our room was lovely and pointed out all the amenities of the room and adjusted the air conditioning for us - having caught the bus from the airport to Hualumphong train station and then a cab to the hotel we were thankful for it!

The decor of the hotel is simply stunning, the beds huge and the bathtub even huger! After having roughed it for a few days on Ko Lanta the luxury was a bit overwhelming. Note there is a separate shower cubicle (big enough for a few people!) so the bath is not compulsory.

We ordered room service not long after having arriving which was strange. The staff didn't seem to understand what we were saying and passed the phone around them for someone to work it out. When we finally did manage to do so, it took a while. The food was average, to be honest. Later that evening we had a complimentary meal in the restaurant which I wasn't really able to eat as I was coming down with food poisoning which would confine me to our room for the rest of the 2 days we were there. I can't be sure, but I'm relatively certain the room service caused it and it was BAD poisoning. That said, I couldn't have asked for a nicer place to be so sick in - it truly is a lovely hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank grrrouse
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2010

Great location, great atmosphere, the rooms are not very big but clean and very well furnished. All the hotel's staff is nice and helpfull. Even if the hotel face a very busy street, is very quite.

Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2010

i booked this hotel on the basis of the colourful, fab looking rooms and was not disappointed, we had a peony classic room that had a huge bath, brilliant shower and no end of lovely decorative touches, free mini bar that stocked daily, free wi fi and a beautiful restaurant that served nice breakfast and pricey meals.
we did struggle to find it however as our taxi driver dumped us on the main road, waved us in the wrong direction and left pronto!
it is a little strange that you enter a foyer and have to go up an escalator to get to reception, it did feel a little like a shopping mall and as the rooms are all off a central lobby, it did get quite noisy at times
however it was immaculately designed, decorated and staffed, brilliant for a few nights of eccentric luxury, and in the heart of crazy manic chinatown, make sure to visit the sunday market, chaotic, frenetic and with amazing sights on every street corner

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2010

I travelled to Bangkok a lot for short leisure trip, but somehow never notice this hotel. We spent two nights there before going to Hua Hin.
The hotel location is in the center of Chinatown which is very convenient for shopping around Chinatown considering the traffic condition there. ALso very easy to get to other attractions in Bangkok, ask the bellboy and he will give you very good and valuable advice, this help us to save a lot of transportation expenses. I even walked from the hotel to the railway station to take train to Hua Hin, and subway to other part of bangkok. The train station and subway is side by side., 10-15 minute walk from hotel.
We arrived on a hot afternoon (3pm with 33c); however the cheerful and welcoming smile from the bell boy cool us down immediately. The staff are friendly,warm and accommodative. The general manager even help us to arrange our diner at 6pm instead of the normal 8pm.
The room is amazing, almost everything is oriental. And is very quiet, despite the noise, bustle and hustle at the entrance. The only thing is that almost all rooms have no window to look out.
The whole hotel is very quiet and have that zen feel.
Food is not an issue, of course most of the food here are chinese food. Cheap and fresh, especially the seafood, birds nest and sharkfin.
We immediately books for a deluxe room when I came back from Hua Hin , and is in to another amazing experience. I am still staying in the hotel writing this review.
I will definitely come back again next time I visit Bangkok.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2010

We stayed in this hotel for the first nights of our Thailand trip. My girlfriend had never been to Thailand before and I wanted to give her a real introduction by living in Chinatown.

On our arrival my name was on the welcome-plate down by the street. Nice little touch.

The hotel faces the main street in Chinatown which is really noisy, hectic, smelly (both good and bad ones) and hot. The main entrance to the hotel is at the street but rest of the hotel and the lobby is within the building and away from all the hustle and bustle.

The rooms are very charmingly decorated in old Chinese style - including the bathroom. We both liked it very much. The hallways are a bit dim - but it works with the style. The roomdoors are flimsy, but we did not feel unsafe.

Breakfast was a choice between different options. We only tried the "Healthy" one which is a buffet with cereals, fruit, juice and yoghurts etc. It was fine - but nothing to get too excited about.

All in all a very charming and quiet hotel in the middle of one of the busiest districts of Bangkok.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple