Shanghai Mansion Bangkok
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
2,614 results
All reviewsheart of china townchinese stylemu danbusy chinatownjazz barfour posterbird cagecotton barchinatown areathe free mini barlive jazzno natural lighttuk tukboutique hotelstreet foodgolden buddhadim sum
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 March 2011

we stayed here for 3 nights during chinese new year and as this hotel is in chinatown it was great with most of the festivities taking place directly outside. The loaction is not too bad but due to the heat you're best catching a licensed taxi to the temple's which are not far. the rooms are clean with a very chinese influence which makes a pleasant change, the room we were in had no views but then the coloured glass screens prevent seeing anything. The room are quite dark which adds to the ambience but too dark at times, there is a mini-bar which is complimentary but it is only stocked with ice-tea, pepsi and water which was great when you returned to your room. Breakfast was good plenty of choice for all and with a 4 hour opening period should suit most. we did not eat in the hotel as there was so much choice on the doorstep, we tried a couple of places opposite think one was called won ton house which were fine. I would rate the hotel good but not quite very good. the only scam we came across was the Tuk Tuk one where a driver will take you all over the city for a small fee (ours 10 baht) but they end up taking you to tailors, jeweller and clothes/gift store, we didnt buy anthing so harmless but just a nuisance. a good trip though and lucky to be there during the chinese new year celebrations. we had transfers included but the train station was only 15 minutes away and I think there is link straight to airport.

Reviewed 28 February 2011

Based on reviews on tripadvisor, I chose Shanghai Mansion over the chain hotels for a romantic two nights in Bangkok with my wife after a week in Chiang Mai with family.

Good Points:
The decor and furnishings really do give a 1920s Shanghai vibe.
If you like the hustle and bustle of a real Chinatown, this could be the hotel for you.
The ornamental fish pool is a very nice touch, as is the library.
If you like your hotels to be "green", this is one for you.
The bathroom was huge, with an excellent shower.
The staff were attentive and helpful.
The price on the hotel's own website was very good, and was cheaper than booking through Expedia UK.

Bad Points:
It's a LONG way from the airport (about 90 minutes in rush hour).
The airport transfer is poor value at 2,100THB for the both ways.
The huge bathroom had no bathtub.
The four-poster bed, while stylish, creaked and rattled. It also had a panel on one side, making it impossible to get out on that side! Not great for a middle-of-the-night trip to the bathroom.
The mattress was hard and uncomfortable.
The room's walls looked dirty.
The windows are all coloured, patterned glass and do not open, making the room quite dark.
When you remove the room-key from its socket, the electricity to the room is cut off, turning off phone chargers, etc, and also the a/c so you return to a hot room.
The hotel lobby is one level up from the street, via an escalator. The entrance at the bottom is open to the street and is shared with a supermarket. When you get to the bottom of the escalator, you are immediately accosted by tuk-tuk or taxi drivers.
The hotel restaurant/jazz club (more like cover band club...) was no more than okay, and may have contributed to or caused the stomach complaint which struck both me and my wife a couple of hours after we ate there.
The rooms have flimsy double doors which do nothing to keep noise out.
The sofa and chairs in the room were uncomfortable.

I really wanted to like this hotel, and was really looking forward to it after staying in a small apartment with my in-laws, but it just wasn't the gem I was expecting. It perhas didn't help that after the slower pace of Chiang Mai, Bangkok seemed to be full of the worst sort of touts. Every (and I mean EVERY) taxi driver or tuk-tuk driver I saw had a "sponsor" to whom he would take us, and would charge us more if we refused. These "sponsors" were either tailors or brothels.
That the hotel is in a busy street with no buffer zone between the hotel and the street really does make it less relaxing a place to stay, however serene it may be once you're inside.
Price was not a major issue to me, though in retrospect I should have paid more for a reliable, branded hotel. If you want style on a budget (I paid 2,500 BHT per night for a supposedly superior room) and want to be in the thick of things, by all means give it a try. For a relaxing escape and a room you can relax in during the day, go elsewhere.

1  Thank ScotsCanuck
Reviewed 26 February 2011

We arrived at the Shanghai Mansion after a very cramped van trip from Hua Hin and a 45 minute tuk-tuk journey in peak traffic (when is it not in Bangkok??) so we were a little frazzled to say the least. As soon as we walked in the gorgeously perfumed air of the hotel and the wonderfully styled lobby made us smile immediately as we knew we had found a gem. The staff were lovely, check in was quick and our room was absolutely beautiful - vintage Shanghai style with chandeliers, velvet and a HUGE tub. Very sexy would be the room in a nutshell!

I later realised we had not recieved all of the package we had booked online which was meant to include flowers in our bath, flowers on the bed and fresh fruit in the room. I met the manager in the hallway by chance and she apologised and assured me it would be sorted out. 20 minutes later she comes back with another member of staff with beautiful lotus flowers for our bath in a wooden box and a bottle of champagne with two bars of Cadbury's Dairy Milk (she had picked up on my accent) and other assorted treats as an apology, which we greatly appreciated.

The bar that night (and most nights I think) had great live music and lovely staff. We only had breakfast there, which was delicious, so I can't comment on lunch/dinner but I heard from other guests the food was excellent. The location right in the middle of Chinatown is exciting and lots of fun and it's very close to all the other main things you would want to see in BKK. Can not recommend enough.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2011

My wife and I stayed in room 305 for 2 nights in Feb. Upon arrival, the porter was ready and willing to help us with our luggage from the taxi. Check-in was quick and easy and we received a refreshing towel and drink in the lobby. Staff informed us of breakfast time and gave us a free wifi internet card - we were then taken to our room. The room was very comfortable - lovely wide sofa, king bed, free standing bath, plenty of room to swing a cat. Outside the room is a small balcony overlooking the hotel atrium - great little nook to read a book. Location of the hotel is ideal - there was an excellent street restaurant set up the down the road from the hotel offering cheap and tasty thai dishes, I forget the name, but the staff were wearing green uniforms. There is a supermarket directly next to the hotel.

I would highly recommend this hotel - we paid about $95 per night, room 305.

Reviewed 9 February 2011

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for two nights between flying into Bangkok and taking the train north to Laos. We were pleased with Shanghai Mansion and would stay there again in future visits.

The customer service from the hotel staff was very good. They promptly replied to my emails when I was confirming the reservation. I inquired about transportation to the hotel from the airport and they gave me good advice regarding taking a taxi. The let us store bags after we checked out until our train in the evening.

Our reservations included breakfast in the in house restaurant. The buffet included a nice mix of western (cereal, fruit, coffee, pastries, yogurt, etc) and Asian foods. In addition to the buffet, diners can choose from one of three plated breakfasts, also included with the room. We didn't visit the restaurant any other time besides breakfast but it appeared to have jazz club theme going on with live music in the evenings.

There was both free wireless internet in the rooms and one or two computers in the lobby for free guest use.

The room itself was of a nice size. It was in good condition with a nice, large shower in the bathroom. One odd thing about the room was that it didn't have a window. One wall was composed of stained glass that you couldn't see through but let light in. I think there was some sort of staff-only hallway on the reverse but there was no way to open the glass to find out. There were drapes that we closed during the night to keep out the light.

Shanghai Mansion is located on a busy thoroughfare in Bangkok's Chinatown. There are plenty of restaurants and markets, both open air and enclosed in the surrounding neighborhood. Right on the corner is a 7-11 which sold all the snacks and incidentals that we needed. About a 15 minute walk away from the hotel is Bangkok's train station served by national trains heading all over. Unfortunately I don't think the train from the airport serves this station.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple