“Fantastic value”

Grand Sukhumvit Hotel Bangkok
Ranked #187 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 11 November 2008

I really enjoyed my stays (twice this month) at this hotel. It was obviously designed as serviced apartments so it's great to have the bonus of an extra room. The bathroom is large and everything was spotlessly clean. Staff were all very friendly and helpful.
The gym was great. The swimming pool looks good but being sandwiched between a couple of high rises, doesn't get any sun.
There was a wide choice at breakfast and it was served in a bright sunny space.
Sandwiches at the BonBon cafe were tasty and the espresso coffee was very good (VERY rare in Asia).
The hotel is 2 minutes walk from the BTS and is in a handy location.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 October 2008

I loved Grand Sukhumvit. We stayed here during the first and last days of our Southeast Asian sojourn. Coming back to it was like going back home. The room is clean, spacious and not overdone. Some parts needed maintenance but were not eyesores. The staff proved friendly all the time. They helped us recover our luggage when we stupidly left them in a taxi trunk while attempting to deposit our extra luggage to our friend's house. And of great importance: Since I am Asian, I do appreciate not being asked about my ID, when I enter the hotel - which I have unfortunately experienced in other hotels. With this, as well as the tasty olives and friendly singer of the Petrus bar, the hotel is tops!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thesupr
Reviewed 14 October 2008

Stayed for three nights. Booked a standard room but was upgraded to a suite. Very nice room. Have seen nicer bathrooms in other five star hotels in bkk but nothing wrong really.
The best thing about this hotel is the location with walking distance to skytrain and all the fun soi`s for night-time adventures. No hassles if you bring a friend to your room.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank JohnnyDrama76
Reviewed 6 October 2008

We stayed here for a night in September. We got upgraded to a suite on the 15th floor which was lovely. Large comfy bed, very modern, and very clean, just how you'd expect to find a Sofitel.

Its in a great location just of Sukhumvit.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

We didnt eat here so can not comment.

But over all great value for money.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank homeindia
Reviewed 20 September 2008

I have recently stayed at this hotel because it is one of the official hotels of the conference in Bangkok. I booked rather last minute and was surprised to find a very affordable rate on the hotel's own website. I then proceeded to reserve a room for myself for 5 nights.
The hotel is actually located off the main road and is situated in a one way soi or road. I arrived in Bangkok during rush hour and one way street just delayed my arrival at the hotel.

Check in was ok. I was upgraded to a club floor suite with a living room, a kitchenette, a king size bed and a huge bathroom. As I tried to take a shower, I noticed I only had hot water and no cold water. I called for help and an engineer came immediately to fix the problem.
Concierge was helpful and suggested a nearby restaurant for dinner.
All was well until the hotel decided to paint the other rooms on the same floor which were unoccupied. I came home after a full day of convention to find the paint smell permeated into my room. My instinct told me that I needed to vent the room but the windows could not be opened. I had complained to the manager on duty and indicated that I needed to either open the windows or to change to another room. I indicated that I would go out to dinner and wanted this problem to be fixed.

Nothing was done when I returned after 2 hours. Worst yet, my room keys were not working and there was no working phone in the hallway to call for help at the front desk. I had to bother some painters to ask them to call the manager on duty to send help.
The manager on duty sent help and I was then changed to another room. This second room was even bigger than the first suite I got. What I did not understand was this: why was there smoke in the room when the room was designated non-smoking room? The manager was all apologetic and yet explained that there was no other room available on the club floor. I was offered an ozone machine and a general freshner spray. By then I was dead tired and I still had paperwork to go through. I settled for that smoking non-smoking room and went to check my e-mail. The smell of smoke went away on my return and I finally had the chance to rest in peace for the next 2 days.

I tried the buffet breakfast and it was nothing special. In my opinion, charging 20 USD for breakfast is way too expensive in Bangkok's standard.

I also tried the full body thai massage at the spa and it was very relaxing. That was probably the last saving grace.

All-in-all, the hotel's facilities and location worked ok for my stay. However, the hotel staff need more training in handling unexpected situations. Yes, they all smiled but they could not produce a satisfactory solution in an efficient manner.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 September 2008

We booked direct through the Hotels website and got a great deal, a far better price than on any other sites were offering. When we arrived at 1am they whisked us through check in and even upgraded us to a suite on the 30th floor.
The suite was tremendous, pure luxury.
The hotel itself is situated just off the sukhumvit road and it doesn't actually have any footpaths leading to it from the sky train or sukhumvit or Soi Nana, but traffic seems to be quite curteous of pedestrians due to this fact, we always felt quite safe even in the dark.
The staff were so welcoming and always ready with a bow and smile or in the case of the gatehouse gaurds, a salute and a click of the heels.
The location for the skytrain is perfect and the great shopping areas like siam paragon and chatuchak market are all within easy reach of a sky train station.
Getting to the river can be a bit of a trek depending on the time of day and volume of traffic.
Although situated next to Soi Nana, it's easy to avoid the sleaziness associated with this area if your not interested in that but for those who are then the surrounding areas that cater to sex tourists are also very easy to access without being on your door step.
Breakfast was overpriced slightly but the selection was vast, I've never eaten a tastier eggs benedict.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stamaheep
Reviewed 1 September 2008

I have a home in Thailand, and I often pass through Bangkok going to/from Koh Samui. When I stay on the Sukhumvit side of town, I often stay at the Amari Boulevrd Hotel, which is very central and only 1/2 a block off of Sukhumvit Road. However, on a recent stay I had friends staying at the "Grand Sukhumvit By Sofitel" and I joined them. That being said, I am now back for my third visit to the "Grand Sukhumvit by Sofitel." The room price/value is exceptional. The rooms are new, fresh, great linens, televisions, etc. While you are not directly on Sukhumvit Road, you are a four minute walk away and two/three minutes from Nana Plaza. The rooms on the lowest price level are far superior to the Amari Blvd. and rival most any chains room at the price charged. I find it a pretty great value and I will return.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business