“Value for money but a little off the street”

Grand Sukhumvit Hotel Bangkok
Ranked #189 of 884 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 17 December 2009

We booked this hotel at a steal. 2 nights for 3 pax with free daily international buffet breakfast at SGD $165 per night.

We were firstly charmed by the spacious room that had ample walking space despite having 3 beds. The bathroom was huge, with bathtub, standing bath and the necessary toilet facilities. There were many free TV channels for us, from HBO to BBC, though they weren't much useful since Bangkok had so much for us to be occupied with out of the hotel. We absolutely love the breakfast spread every morning, with on-the-spot fried eggs, cooked noodles, Chinese, Continental and even Japanese food! The free tuk-tuk service to send us out to the BTS Nana station was much appreciated since the hotel is located behind the quiet lane of Soi 6.
This leads me to the downside of the hotel location. For the 3 of us, all girls, it was slightly of a goosebump experience everynight as we walked back to the hotel. The lane is poorly lit with vehicles zooming past. We would have wished for the tuktuk to pick us up at the station back. That would have been most wonderful.
The bathroom mirror had a huge stain but no effort had been made to remove it, making is very unsightly and a thorn in the otherwise very lovely room.
We were slightly disappointed to know that the 3rd bed was a makeshift instead of a proper one as depicted in the website picture.

However, all bad feelings were demolished at the last minute when we were leaving Bangkok. I had earlier misplaced my book in the room. To my relief, the housekeeping had kept it safely and even wrapped it up with plastic, awaiting for my return to retrieve it.

A worthy stay for the price, but better had a man around to feel safer walking down the lonely lane.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 December 2009

Stayed in a 1 bedroom suite, was impressed with the size! Very comfortable for 2 people. Had a large fridge which was nice to store our drinks and other foodstuffs. Great value, but of course this comes at a price. You could tell the fixtures and fittings were relatively cheap, and the bathroom seemed very dated - but still very clean. Breakfast was included for us, but was very very average - quality of food was just mediocre but you could get away with just having the baked goods, yogurts, cereal, etc.

All in all, good value.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 29 November 2009

This is a fantastic hotel and if you stay anywhere in Asia then i would strngly reccommend booking through a travel company called Agoda. The service is great and because they are a Thai company they can get the best rates. I stayed in this 5* hotel in a Platinum suite 50sq Foot appartment. The hotel staff are amazing and the location is great. I would highly reccommend this place for business and pleasure.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2009

OK Good points first:
1. When i arrived to the hotel they let me check in at 8am so that was great as I needed sleep.
2. The lobby and hotel is very grand and plush.
3. The Room was huge, we got a corner room with a big kitchen area and massive bedroom, lovely design, modern, flat screen TV and THE most comfiest bed and pillows ever
4. Good secuity in the hotel - have to swipe the key card to use the lift so no outsiders can come upstairs.
5. Depending on what you want, it is in a good Location on Soi 6, Sukhumvit road, very close to Nana station

Now bad points:
1. When I arrived my bed sheet was dirty and had horrible stains which they changed and apologised for straight away, but not a nice start
2. Even though we requested a smoking room, the room was very stale smelling. I asked them to come and spray it and this solved the problem.
3. Windows dont open in the bedroom
4. Wifi is pretty expensive. I think they should offer free to hotel guests.
5. Ordered room service 2ce and the food was not nice.
6. The room cost us 66 GBP per night which is pretty expensive by Bangkok standards, however i think it was worth it

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kay009
Reviewed 18 October 2009

Spent 4 nights here on October 3 for my first visit to Thailand. I'm not someone that travels regularly so i don't have lots of experience to compare with, but this is a hotel that i can't find anything to fault on. The location was great, everything you need is within reach. We stayed in a Gold room which had more than enough space for 2, a bonus was the separate lounge (i prefer to relax on a couch rather than the bed), the bed was huge and so comfortable it made it hard to wake up!

If you can't find something you like at breakfast you must be fussy because the selection is huge and can quite easily set you up with energy for the day, and you'll need plenty of energy for Bangkok.

Hotel staff were friendly and happy to help with any enquiries - in fact everyone we met in Thailand had a smile and was happy to talk. We didn't have any unpleasant experiences, so long as you have your wits about you in a foreign country whats to worry about? I highly recommend Thailand as a destination, and this hotel as a great spot to base yourself in Bangkok.

If you're looking for a tailor I can highly recommend Majestic: www.majestictailors.com
Friendly service, not at all pushy - produced a pair of pants and 6 shirts within 24 hours that are high quality - something would be a luxury to have made at home. They are a short walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CocoNZ
Reviewed 16 October 2009

I had my first experience with the Grand Sukhumvit last week and was bowled over by the accommodations, the food, the friendly & helpful staff, the superb English spoken by that staff, the location, and the general ambience of the hotel which felt like a small, caring, European, botique hotel. Allow me to establish some credentials in this case. I am an American living and working in S.E. Asia for the last 14 years. I have multiple occasions to be in Bangkok and environs per year. So much so that for two years I Ieased a service apartment there. With the recent slowdown the service apartment could no longer pay for itself when comparing to actual days required versus checking into a hotel. Beside that, I was really tired of dealing with management that was only sometimes available and had experienced multiple service interuptions (electricity, air conditioning, sewer, cable TV, etc.) Last month I moved out of the "service" apartment and shipped the few things I had there home. Last week was my first trip back and I checked into the Grand Sukhumvit on a recommendation from a friend. I could prattle on about the smaller things that made my stay there so pleasant but in a nutshell it was the staff and their service oriented, accommodating ways. I will also mention the appointments of the nifty one bedroom suite that was perfect for my needs. Notable pluses other than the staff and the accommodations were the small coffee & bakery shop just at the lobby for those in a hurry in the morning. For those that have more time the breakfast buffet is well stocked for virtually any appetite including large flaky croissants, fresh egg dishes prepared while you wait, hard rolls, danish pastry, butter cake, waffles, french toast, four kinds of fresh juices, yoghurts, cereals, fresh fruits, Japanese specialties,etc. They even had daily Indian vegetarian dishes, roti, and dall curry that were very good. European taste are catered too with several fresh cheeses, cold cuts, smoked fish, bisquits, and a daily assortment of baked goods.

Business people will find a well staffed business center with several PCs in case you forgot your laptop. They stay open until 11 pm. There is a broadband connection in every room. Some packages the hotel offers include the internet service fee and are usually worth considering if you need to be on-line each day. You will also have a newspaper at your door in the morning and, of course, CNN, BBC, and Al Jazeera in English on the telly to fill your news fetish. Finally, the fitness center has all that you need to get in your daily workout.

I wouldn't recommend staying in to watch TV. Bangkok is still a glittering and fast paced city with substantial night life choices for anyone. From the steamy & seemy to the top rated nightclubs and restaurants you will have a large variety of entertainment to choose from. Personal favorites of mine are Bully's Pub on Sukhumvit just just North of Soi 4 (Nana) on Sukhumvit . Great Western pub fare and blues & rock, with a generous pour bar and a wide choice of premium beers gets me back again and again. http://www.bullysbangkok.com/
For a more formal, epicurean experience I recommend Anthony's Italian Restaurant. It is a small upscale Italian bistro. Chances are you will be personally attended to by Anthony who learned his trade at his mother's knee. Ask him, he will tell you about it. There is no warmer reception in Bangkok. Great wine list and Nouveau Italian dishes are the treat here but pasta lovers will enjoy the offerings as well. http://www.dininginthailand.com/antonios.bkk.asp

My next trip will definitely be with my wife. She will like the proximity to the Skytrain that can whisk her to within walking distance of Pratunam market (with building after building like Filene's basement sale on steroids). She will also enjoy the nicely appointed spa in the hotel.

I heartily recommend the Sukhumvit Grand Hotel and will venture that to call this a four star hotel is a misnomer. This beats any 5 star that I have stayed in when in Bangkok and several other cities for that matter. This one is a gem.

Post Script: Many travelers seem concerned about Thailand travel these days. The closure of the airport by demonstrators last year, and the well publicized story of a couple getting waylaid at the airport and strong armed into a payment on the false pretense that they were under arrest, are just two of the reasons travelers appear to be shy about Thailand. One should be concerned when they travel, especially to different cultures, as the typical traveler can be vulnerable in exotoc ports. My own belief is that caution in any city you travel in is the watchword of our times. I think Thailand offers as safe a venue for prudent travelrs as any with many rewards available for the intellectually curious and adventurous, including eco travel, jungle and mountain trekking, fabulous beaches and diving sites, nearly untouched historical sites, and a metropolitan area that has been seducing travelers since the mid 1700s. Not to mention that there are bargains galore available now.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
5  Thank soisurfer
Reviewed 8 October 2009

A very well managed 4 star hotel, was previously a Sofitel but now not quite up to that standard. The location is excellent, within easy walking distance of the skytrain and numerous top class restaurants. Our room was very comfortable. The only negative was the sound of closing doors in the passage. For some reason doors do not simply gently close, they slam shut possibly due to the spring mechanism. We may have been unlucky in that a tour party arrived on our first night here, but the sound of slamming doors kept us awake until the early hours. Otherwise a very good hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple