“Stayed here for six weeks”

Ascott Sathorn Bangkok
Ranked #106 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Sydney, Australia
“Stayed here for six weeks”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We liked this hotel however wouldn't stay here again. This is due to no fault of the hotel, just six weeks in any hotel is too much. The gym is one of the best I've been to. Staff were okay in accomodating to your needs. Pool location wasn't great as got quite breezy. Location is okay

Stayed March 2014
Jason C, Residence Manager at Ascott Sathorn Bangkok, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear garyjourn,

Thank you for your feedback and am glad overall you enjoyed your stay with us. When in Bangkok next, we look forward to welcoming you again to Ascott Sathorn Bangkok.

Thank you and regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We’ve been pleased to stay at the Ascott Sathorn on many occasions over the past few years and we’ve recommended it to many friends and colleagues but unfortunately we now have reservations. We still agree that the location is terrific, apartments are well appointed (starting to get a little tired but not shabby) and variety of layouts on offer make it suitable for many different groups. Breakfast has never been outstanding but it’s more than enough to get you through the day. The biggest problem for us this time was the wifi – it was totally unreliable and this is a huge problem when we need to work remotely. Speed was shocking, it dropped in and out, and staff were not keen to discuss at all which led us to believe there was a bigger problem. As it turns out, during our stay, all guests were informed that the wifi was being shutdown for repairs/improvements and after a few hours down time, nothing had improved – if anything, it was worse. If you don’t need wifi, it’s still very good value for money but I will need to hear some very positive reports before I return planning to work.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank PrincessInTransit
Dear Gourmet_Traveller67,

Thank you for your review from your recent stay with us. I'm glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us this trip and it was unfortunate that your experience with the Wifi connectivitly was below expectation. During this period our service provider was on site to replace and upgrade certain equipment however due to unforseen difficulties, it was unstable and took them longer to complete the replacement. Please accept my apologies for this inconvenience. We do look forward to welcoming you at Ascott Sathorn again soon.

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We've stayed here twice as a family of four with two young children. The two bedroom apartments are spacious and well designed. The laundry room alone makes it worthwhile when you have kids.

The location is nice because it's close to the train, but in a quiet embassy neighborhood. We tend to head to a local restaurant- there's a Dean and Deluca nearby- for breakfast. We did not eat any meals at the Ascott, because... well, it's Bangkok... great food is everywhere.

The pool area is relaxing and kid friendly whilst remaining a calm space. There is also an excellent gym that is open to outside membership- it has everything you could need and also offers classes. The locker rooms are spacious and comfortable as well.

I had a massage at the spa, which was nice- though nothing special.

We will definitely continue to stay here each time we visit Bangkok. It's a great value and well suited for families.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank travelwallah
Dear travelwallah,

Thank you for your review of Ascott Sathorn. I'm pleased that you and your family had a pleasant stay with us and found our facilities such as the pool and gym enjoyable. We look forward to having you and your family back with us.

New York
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This review is the hardest I have written in many years of writing on Trip Advisor. I really love this hotel and I have reviewed it several times over the years. But, for me, a hotel has to live up to certain standards to get my business. The most important thing to me is the Internet. This hotel is a bit older but having stayed here in the past, I did not have any problem and thus, all my great past reviews of The Ascott. But, on this trip, the Internet was horrendous.

The Internet was so bad that I called to the front desk to complain over 47 times in 2 months. I had to go downstairs and talk to them 16 times. In other words, the Internet was so horrible that often I could not even access websites or do any work. Skype was impossible and I could not get through one call without the call being dropped or the Internet freezing up.

After 6 weeks, they sent a letter to all guests that they were upgrading the system and it would be down for a few hours while they did that. I was thrilled and saw this as a way for the hotel to redeem itself. It had the opposite effect. The "new fix" made it even worse than before.

If I thought it was just me, I might be a bit more positive. But, I had conversations over the 2 months with over 15 other residents who said the exact same thing. They were all shocked at the hotel having the worst Internet they had seen.

I will have to say, that I have stayed here in the past with no issue. The issue must reside in their current Internet provider as they changed companies. But, they went from something that worked to something that was totally useless.

After one week, I was ready to go. If I had not paid for the 2nd month in advance, I would have just left. But, after 2 months staying at the hotel that I have praised in the past, I can say that I am more disappointed in the management of this hotel for failing to come up with a solution to a crisis that existed for at least 2 months. They may respond and say it is all better now, but the truth it, they told me that repeatedly over my trip there and I was deceived. As I have traveled across Thailand and stayed in very small hotels in the middle of no where, it is sad when a huge hotel in the capital of Thailand has worst Internet service than any other hotel I have stayed at in over 10 years of visiting the country.

On all my other stays at The Ascott, I was wishing I had booked longer. On this stay, I could not wait to get away. The hotel was a major disappoint and the lack of action spoke a great deal of managements lack of having ears that listen to customers.

The staff was apologetic and nice but they were helpless to do anything to fix this. One-Hundred percent of this blame goes to upper management and their inability to solve a crisis situation. They should have fired the company providing the Internet or came up with another way for residents to get a decent connection. Having said that, the owners of the hotel must either pay more attention to what is going on at their properties so that the great reputation they have build up is not destroyed based on incompetent management of one property and for my stay, the management not only underachieved but turned one of my favorite properties to one of the worst experiences I have had in nearly 40 years of overseas travel!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank MidTMike
Dear MidTMike,

Thank you for your review of Ascott Sathorn. It is always a pleasure having you with us and it is with regret that you have had such a poor experience on your last stay with us. I would like ot assure you that we have been working together with our service provider on improvements to the overall connectivity and stability of the network here in Ascott Sathorn and the connectivity issues faced during your stay have been greatly minimized. Our service provider is also ready to assist you here at Ascott Sathorn during your next stay to prevent any disruptions so we do look forward to welcoming you back again.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I did my my booking through online booking. Price is impressive ( for the star rating of this accommodation).
Everything was great from the concierge, housekeeping, space and friendly staff and a good security guard.
Check in procedure was ok. Work efficiently and fast.
Room is spacious. Located in d heart of Bangkok city and near to my frequent occasion make me in love with this place.
Note: Main road (Sathorn road) was extremely heavy traffic during oeak hours! Pls Alert!!!! Mainly : 7am-9.30am and 4.30pm-6.30pm
Others than that was great. So, u must plan your journey and avoid that peak hour to go out from your room or return.
Nearest MRT: Lumphini station
Nearest BTS : Chong Nongsi/ Sala Daeng ( not recommended) a bit far for walking distance.
I will return to this place if i travel with a friend (2–3person) as they offered good price for apartment with 2 room.

Stayed June 2014
Jason C, Residence Manager at Ascott Sathorn Bangkok, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear oshkosh2304,

Thank you for your review of Ascott Sathorn Bangkok. I'm pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and our associates here took good care of you. You have also rightly identified that Chongnonsi is our closest BTS station which is a 7 minute walk away. We do look forward to welcoming you again.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 28 May 2014

if you are missing home, then this is the place to come and stay. living room, a kitchen and a big bedroom. ambiance of this hotel is very impressive and this hotel has an amazing pool on the top. service quality is also good. one of the disadvantage is that you dont get any points for your stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bhavin2014
Dear Bhavin2014,

Thank you for your review of Ascott Sathorn Bangkok. I'm pleased to hear that you found our residence a 'home away from home' for you and were well taken care of during your stay. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Bangkok.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Ascott has been my home in Thailand for the past 2.5 years whenever I visit for business. It is a very comfortable place to stay and the service is excellent, I always return to Ascott in Bangkok.Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear poulomee,

Thank you for your feeedback on Ascott Sathorn. Indeed it is always a pleasure to have you with us and am pleased that you are well taken care of by the team. We always look forward to seeing you so, until you next stay with us.