“Shabby chic gem with wonderful service and a great restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Asia Herb Association Spa Auberge Eugenia

Asia Herb Association Spa Auberge Eugenia
Ranked #416 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Zurich, Switzerland
“Shabby chic gem with wonderful service and a great restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

The Eugenia is a gorgeous old colonial house and it really does make you feel like you are in a home away from home. I didn't even know there were hotels like this left in the developed cities of Asia! I loved my antique stuffed bedroom with huge 4-poster bed and the old copper bath - so much character.

I also very much enjoyed the restaurant - very quirky decor (i loved the stuffed peacock) - and with really fantastic french-influenced food. There were people waiting for tables when I was there, so I am guessing that this is quite popular with people living in Bangkok too.

The cherry on the cake here is the service. The welcome is so friendly and the manager came to chat with me at dinner to make sure I was having a good time and that all my needs were being met. The thing that made it all just that bit more special was that it felt that the staff really cared and they were not just doing it because they had to.

It is a sweaty 15-20 minute walk to the nearest sky train stop and the very swanky Emporium mall, but there are interesting shops in the area and it is quite fun just to wander around and see what is around there and the fabulous Oasis spa is only just around the corner (try the 4-hand massage). Taxi are pretty cheap though so it is no problem to get around - just make sure the cabs put the meter on.

The only downside for me was that the pool is very shady, so if you do want to do a bit of sunbathing, this is not the right place for that.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank LisaJane072
Eugenia-HM, Hotel Manager at Asia Herb Association Spa Auberge Eugenia, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
Dear LisaJane072,

Thank you for writing such a fantastic review for our hotel.

Indeed I do remember you and it was a nice conversation that we had in the lounge. Again, it is such an encouragement to my whole team with your 5 star rating and comments on the product, restaurant, location and service.

I apologize on the comment made for our poolside. As we are a little oasis in the heart of Bangkok, we want to keep it as cool as possible with the natural coconut trees and palm trees. I do apologize that you were unable to get a full sun tan.

None the less, it was a pleasure to have you at our colonial home. Should there be any opportunity to stay again in the near future, please let me know!

We look forward to welcoming you with open arms! Till then, safe journey for your travelling!

JohnHans
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Korean first
Stuart, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

We love everything, old style Thai house with a comfortable bed makes us feel like home, nice decoration, very good service, quiet place but convenience because it's only takes less than 5 minutes to get to the Skytrain which you can get to big shopping area like 5minutes toTerminal21,5minutes to Sukhumvit Area(all kind of restaurants and nightlife), 15minutes to Siam Paragon so we probably coming back again for our next trip to Bangkok.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Eugenia-HM, Hotel Manager at Asia Herb Association Spa Auberge Eugenia, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Dear Noel M,

Thank you for writing such a lovely review and giving us perfect scores.

Together with my team, we are so encouraged by your notes on our location, product and service.
Indeed, our colonial home is strategically nestled in the heart of Bangkok.

We cannot be happier to hear that you enjoyed yourselves and would like to come back. Our home is always open for you and cannot wait to welcome you back.

Should there be anything at all, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Till the next time we see you, all the best!

JohnHans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

I can't express just how fabulous this hotel is, a real find! I stayed over my birthday and they brought up champagne and a wee cake! The pool area is stunning and the staff are very friendly. The cocktails and food are super too and I would highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Eugenia-HM, Hotel Manager at Asia Herb Association Spa Auberge Eugenia, responded to this review, 7 October 2012
Dear Jane P,

Thank you for your lovely review!

We are so thankful that we were able to be apart of your memories for your birthday this year.
It is a joy to know that you liked our hotel, service and food.

I have passed on your comments to all the staff to further encourage them.

Once again, we thank you for choosing us and we look forward to having you back again!
And, HAPPY BIRTHDAY ONCE AGAIN FROM US AT THE EUGENIA!

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

As soon as you step in this mansion, you get the sudden chill down your spine, it like stepping back in time of the olden generation of Thai cultures, when servants and maids were commonly used amongst the Thais. This sophisticated hotel will provide you with the knowledge of the old times in Thailand and if you do not believe in ghosts 1 night will tell you a story, I have heard creeks and steps walking around at night, some other guests would say their is a child standing by the pool where they built a veranda around. But don't let this place creep you out, it an amazing hype feeling to be staying here! Enjoy yourselves first timers you will get the most surprise of your life.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank kcwickii
Dear kcwickii,

Thank you for your feedback.

We indeed want to transport anyone back in time to the era of the olden generation and colonial times the moment the person walks through our door. I am happy to know our decor and theme is successful.

We do try our best to stay true to its original theme and that includes having antique fixtures and fittings. I must clarify that our floors indeed creaks on each step due to the original teak wood flooring imitating the olden generation of colonial wooden homes.

I am not too sure where you got your story of the child and veranda, but none the less, it brings me great pleasure to inform you that there has not been any sightings of a child except for physical ones that is brought in by physical parents.

Apart from that, we are happy that you had a great time at The Eugenia and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back! Till then, have many more great escapes!

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

As soon you step inside your trip back in the past start !!!! All of you, that like 5 star modern, marble, huge hotel better don't go to Eugenia. The exclusivity of they 12 room (one different from the other), the amazing design of the restaurant and the incomparable service of the Staff make your stay a unique experience. Morning breakfast with freshly backed bread, home made jam and a selection European and Asian style dishes is served directly at your table with out fight for the last pancake as some time happen in a buffet breakfast. Concierge was able to help us in any request and a tuk tuk can bring you to the sky train in 2 minute (Free Of Charge). So prepare your Panama Hat and book !!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gibbon68
Eugenia-HM, Hotel Manager at Asia Herb Association Spa Auberge Eugenia, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Dear Gibbon68,

I am happy to know our deliberate actions to transport you back into colonial times worked! On behalf of my team, we are delighted to know that you enjoyed the decoration, theme, food, breakfast and service.

It is a spirit booster to my whole team to receive such feedback. I have encouraged the chef and his team to keep up the good work especially in breakfast as we all know it is the most important meal of the day. We will continue to assist and help in whatever way that we can to enhance our guest experience.

We hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our home in the near future.
Till then, take care and we all wish you the best!

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

I had heard about the Eugenia Hotel and was happy the opportunity of a business trip to Bangkok allowed me to stay there. To begin with I like the name, as it evokes a bygone era of elegance and discretion.The Eugenia, while being in one of the busier parts of the capital, is a charming house located on a relatively quiet and leafy road. It is like entering an oasis of calm away from the hustle and bustle of a big city and is small enough to feel as if you are entering a friend's home enhanced by the wonderfully eclectic décor and collection of bric a brac.

The staff are welcoming and friendly and were very efficient at sorting out a small glitch in the shower the night I stayed there. The service is friendly and discreet.

I could easily imagine spending a few days here as it has none of the anonymity of a large hotel. A most enjoyable experience.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Karina Z
Dear Karina Z,

What a lovely and detailed feedback you have given despite it being brief. You have managed to sum up your experience in such a wonderful way.

My team and I are certainly grateful for it. I encouraged them this morning with your review and will continue to strive to provide a memorable service to all our guest.

Karina, it was our pleasure to have had you here and we look forward to serve you again. I hope in the near future we will be able to convert from 4 stars to 5 stars in your review!

Till then, be safe in your frequent travels and all the best in your work.

Noosaville, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

We stayed at The Eugenia on a long trip back to Australia after 5 weeks in Europe. The staff made our few days so relaxing and beautiful. One thing that stood out was: Some friends called by early the morning after our arrival - until we were ready to come down The Eugenia's staff showed them to the pool area, served them tea and made them comfortable. Lovely. Such an interesting place with many personal antiques as decoration, and we would definitely recommend it, and long to visit again.

Room Tip: Our room was at top of a couple of flights of stairs - OK for us but maybe not for elderly. Loved th...