“Perhaps the best gay hotel and spa in the world!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Babylon Bangkok

Babylon Bangkok
Ranked #84 of 606 Bangkok B&B and Inns
London, UK
“Perhaps the best gay hotel and spa in the world!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2008

I recently stayed at the Babylon Bed & Breakfast during a stopover for a few days in Bangkok, en route to Cambodia. I had first heard about the place after finding it listed in the reputable Time Out City Guide, which had described Babylon as “the world’s best gay sauna.” Curious, I visited their impressive and informative website, and made my reservation online, booking a standard room which, given the prices of many other hotels rooms these days, even in relatively inexpensive Bangkok, seemed quite a bargain. As I was arriving late at night, I was pleased to find that this small hotel even had a pick-up service that was waiting for me as I emerged from customs and immigration, looking somewhat tired and dazed. The wide smile that greeted me from the driver, not to mention the even warmer welcome that awaited me from the staff at the check-in desk upon arrival, all boded well for my stay. To be frank, I was somewhat surprised at the cleanliness and décor of the hotel. In my experience, many gay friendly hotels are often rather seedy affairs. Not only was my standard room more than comfortably furnished, I later took the trouble to check out some of the other rooms in the hotel and these took my breath away. They looked as if they belonged on the Asian version of Architectural Digest magazine. Next time I shall definitely book a room at one of the Botticelli Suites. Even the five star Peninsula and Ritz Carlton hotels would struggle to compete with this in terms of space, comfort, or design – and definitely price! As a seasoned traveler, I was truly impressed. The hotel tariff included a delicious breakfast each day, cooked and served by a very attentive staff. Overlooking the leafy suburbs of this upscale party of the city, and munching on my fresh muesli and either Western or Asian fare, I felt truly pampered. As if that was not enough, adjoining the hotel, is the main sauna and spa complex that provided enough distractions of a different kind, and offered free access, as part of the hotel package. With a swimming pool, several bars and restaurants, massage facilities, a fully equipped gym, sauna, and steam room, there was almost enough to see and do not even to leave the complex and venture out into the city. A tropical oasis, if you will, in this chaotic city! By the time my stay had come to end, I was truly sad to leave. I could not recommend the Babylon experience more highly. I shall be back soon!

• Liked — Accommodation, Food, Service, Ambience for the discerning gay traveler
  • Disliked — Located in a leafy suburb, a little far to walk to the center of the city! You need to rent a taxi if you are in a hurry.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
4 Thank AJ_Wiorld_Traveler

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Indonesian first
Wellington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2008

It was my first time in Bangkok and at the Babylon so I splashed out and stayed in the Botticelli Suites. A dream world of sumptuous yet tasteful art deco colonial Thai interior decor complete with devoted maid service. The sauna and spa expereince (once I got past the breathtaking erotic and fantastical design) was the best I've ever known. I was so pleased that at last someone has decided to provide gay men with the best we deserve - place, style and ultimate expereince to have fun and absolute pleasure. Bravo Babylon - I'll be back.......

• Liked — Decor design, cleanliness and excellent customer service
  • Disliked — It was all perfect.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
6 Thank TomWellington
Vancouver, British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2008

Since I first started coming to Thailand in 2001 I have stayed at The Babylon while in BKK. I have always enjoyed my stay, my room, fellow travelers and staff. While it is true that the barracks rooms are not as well lit as some of the florescent lit gems across Asia it surprises me that anyone would care. Read at the pool during the day.

I have stayed in barrack rooms as well as the penthouse suite, they both have been terrific. The bathhouse being adjacent is quite fun and also houses the pool area, a glassed in workout room, two restaurants and a disco.

Breakfast, besides having much to offer, is a great time to meet fellow travelers from around the world and is often a good time to start planning your day (or night!) with the added help of others that have been there/done that.

Not sure why anyone would blame the hotel for a trick stealing from them, but hey, to each their own.

I'll be back in Oct 08 and Feb 09! See you at the Foam Party.

• Liked — a boy doesn't kiss and tell
  • Disliked — having to leave
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ShawnCornell
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2008

II just returned from my stay in Thailand April and May, loved the Babylon-Hotel and SPA-Sauna in Bangkok, it’s one of the last classy gay hotels, great location, close to all you like to see.
I had a great time the staff was very accommodating, friendly.
I highly recommend the Babylon and would go back next time again.

hgr. La. CA

• Liked — Everything was as expected
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank LACARHG
Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2008

We have stayed at Babylon three times, from January 2007 to April 2008, and have had great experiences all times. It is clean and generally well run. The "sauna" is absolutely incredible, but is completely separate from the hotel if that's not your thing, though you must enter through here (2 free passes per room per day, otherwise about $8 US) to get to the pool, restaurant, massage, cabaret/dance/drag club, or gym. The sauna attracts hundreds of men each afternoon and evening, generally a good mix of local Thais, plus visitors of all ages and types from all over Asia, Europe, USA, Australia and other places.

The "barracks" rooms have shared baths, which some might not like, but is fine for us. As other reviewers have stated, the breakfast is excellent and a great way to meet interesting guests from all over the world. Cabs are cheap and plentiful, and fascinating Lumpini Park and subway are both a short walk away.

Of course, there are a few drawbacks, as with any hotel. Barracks rooms are dark, very difficult to read at night, and there is no TV. Internet access and phone service grossly overpriced. Be sure to specifically request a room that's not next to the bathroom, or you will have constant shower noise 24/7. Also, request a room on the side away from the sauna and dance club, or you will hear dance music until closing. We are still waiting for a 10% refund that was due at checkout because we stayed 7 nights. And reservations, check-in and check-out do seem a bit overly complicated and confusing, though the staff is quite friendly and helpful overall.

Safety has never been a concern or issue for us at Babylon. We have always felt secure, though clearly sometimes there are people cruising the bathrooms or hallways late at night who don't appear to be guests. Just use caution and common sense about where you keep valuables (room or lobby safe) and who you invite home. and you should be fine.

There is really no gay destination like this in the world that I'm aware of. And the price for all this is extremely reasonable if you look around and compare how much decent hotels in Bangkok are charging these days.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank Merganser10
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2008

This is a gay hotel, but upscale and fantastic, world class, I have never been to anything like it. Service and front desk, terrific. Breakfast, full and superb. Rooms, comfortable. Location, across from several embassies and near exc. restaurants. Near subway.

• Liked — It has everything you can imagine.
  • Disliked — You must choose a room with light; some do not have good windows.
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mph1
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2008

I just finished 4 days staying at Babylon and I must say I was plesently suprised and would certainly go back.

First of all, re: security. I kept all valulables (as you would in any hotel), in the room safe and left my laptop with reception. There was no issue. The hotel clearly suggests doing this as a precausion. I followed these instructions.

The staff were exceedlying friendly and helpful. I could not have asked for more. Check-in was smooth and quick. I think it is important to remember that this is a B&B and not a slick 5 star internation hotel. The service levels are very good considering.

The rooms were clean (I stayed in both Large and small barrics). Although unless requested, they are only cleaned every other day. I tipped the cleaner daily and requested mine to be done daily. Again, this was done to a high standard.

The shared bathrooms were fine (open showers) with private toilets. Given the usage, it was very clean. The bathrooms at stages late in the evening (after sauna close) and in mornings became slightly cruzy for those looking for that.

The breakfast provided was very adequate, food such as Thai soup, eggs, toast, cakes, coffee, tea, and fruit. This was also a great way to meet other guests staying at the B&B. The reception is being moved downstairs which will give level 6 much needed space as a dinning room / eating area.

• Liked — With each room you get 2 access passes to the most amazing sauna in the world.
  • Disliked — The food by the pool was a little 'westernised' to cater for the Europeans. I would have much prefered local food.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo