“My favorite place in Bangkok”

Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel
Ranked #6 of 883 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 13 May 2008

Phom Rok PN!!!! Seriously, I love this place. The first night I arrived in Bangkok this was where I stayed and I continued to stay at PN for a week. I have come back many times since then and simply because I love the staff and the environment is so comfortable. I can literally just hang out at Phranakorn Nornlen all day and be happy. It's a real get-away. Great food, great rooms, wonderful staff and it truly is relaxing. The new upgrades should be pretty cool, I hadn't seen the roof until a week ago.

I want to give a shout out to all my people at PN!!!

I strongly suggest you stay here if you're visiting BKK.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 May 2008

Without the need to write what many others have written about this lovely hotel, my girlfriend and I truely enjoyed our stay at Phranakorn-Nornlen.
The settings brings me fond memories of my childhood !
The breakfast were wonderful and yupz.. even when we had an early flight to catch, there was breakfast packed for us!
Wonderful staff, simple and down to earth.
Thanks for everything guys!

My only hope is that the place doesnt get over commercialised and loses its charm! Will definitely be back in Sept for another stay! ! (:D)

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2008

Let me just begin by saying that I really, really hope the Lonely Planet doesn't start listing the Phranakorn as a place to stay anytime soon. My reason for saying this is entirely selfish- I just don't want my new favorite hotel to be ruined by an influx of travelers, especially travelers that won't appreciate its quirky charm. My boyfriend and I stayed here three nights and as soon as we stepped through the gates of the Phranakorn and into the garden outside of the lobby we knew that we had fallen in love with this hotel.

Every room has been painted differently (we were in room 209) and every aspect of the Phranakorn's accommodations have been attended to in such a way that they radiate cheerfulness. Everything from the garden to the quaint little open air "internet cafe" (about five computers) has been decorated in such a fashion as to convey a cozy atmosphere as enthusiastically as possible- something more recognizable hotel chains will always fail at, although I do not believe it's from a lack of effort (please see my review on the Sofitel Metropol in Hanoi).

As all of the other reviews have said, the organic breakfast has been really well done- every morning a different breakfast in a open air facility that overlooks the garden. Also, just like the other reviews have stated, the Phranakorn staff are the definition of hospitality (something that comes in handy when trying to find a restaurant for dinner or other various activities). As for the tours, we went on the Kanchanaburi trip, which was also really well choreographed. We had a driver and a tour guide, and ourselves (all two of us). I had originally anticipated other guests from the hotel to be joining us, but it truly is a "private tour". Our driver and tour guide were always available without being intrusive, no doubt another benefit of a well organized and efficient routine. One example of this was we asked our tour guide and driver to join us for lunch- clearly we would have enjoyed their company but they maintained a professional distance and politely declined. Given our experience with the tour that we took I would highly recommend guests to utilize the tours the Phranakorn has available- just make sure you have enough Baht handy when the tour is over, they don't allow you to add the charge to your hotel room.

Aside from all of the positives, there are a few other things visitors should keep in mind. The Phranakorn is comfortably set apart from the bright lights of Bangkok- something that we appreciated- but other guests may not. Other things some traveler's may want that are not available: a tv, a swimming pool, a mini bar, elevators- When talking with the staff one morning she informed me that *sometimes* their guests are disappointed when they discover these amenities are not available. This, along with the location, are the only reasons I would not suggest this hotel to ALL travelers to Bangkok, even those used to the advantages of a five star hotel (i.e. me). One last suggestion- if you're looking for an all night party or a room to exploit the ubiquitous sex trade... again, this hotel is not for you (a detail the reservation process will make clear regardless). Although I will admit that a swimming pool would have been nice (mainly because it was so hot during our visit), I would still prefer this hotel over any other in Bangkok, no matter how many butlers, swimming pools, or stars it comes with. I appreciate originality, and this hotel epitomizes it.

3  Thank charlegirl
Reviewed 22 April 2008

Great stay. Great People. Great Service. It was a real treat to stay here - we really enjoyed it. We felt very well looked after and not just another number. Everything was exactly as described including Airport pickup, The breakfasts were also great. We will definitely recommend to others. Cheers :o)

3  Thank assid
Reviewed 20 April 2008

Staying at Phranakorn-Nornlern is like staying with family, only BETTER!!! The staff is phenomenal!!! They go out of the way to make you feel at home and are ALWAYS there to answer questions! We left Bangkok to visit the coast and the day of our departure, the hotel stuff packed us a breakfast for our trip!! How many hotels would do that??

Try to bael fruit tea - you will be hooked!!!

This hotel is a GREAT escape from the craziness of your life. A tranquil retreat.

2  Thank bubbie9
Reviewed 20 April 2008

Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel is a wonderful place to stay in Bangkok. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. They are willing to help you with anything ranging from restaurant recommandations to arranging transportation.

The hotel is hidden in a small street in a friendly neighbourhood. Once you enter the door of the hotel, you will forget you are in Bangkok. The decoration of the hotel and the rooms are unique. It makes you feel very comfortable. The room we had was not too small. There was enough space for all the luggages. The bed was firm and comfortable. The CD player adds a lot of pleasure to our stay. And the evening tea made you feel relaxed after a whole day out in the city. Another highlight was the breakfast ! It is true that every morning was a surprise and it never let us down ! We are actually missing it ...

Even though the hotel is not situated in the center of the city, you could get there easily with a taxi. And there is a ferry pier just 10 minutes walk away which can take you to the major tourist sights.

We highly recommand it to anyone who is looking for something different from the major hotel chain.

We will definitely stay here again next time !

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MidcoVincent
Reviewed 19 April 2008

Coming "home" through the doors at the end of each of the 5 days I stayed at the Phranakorn-Nornlen was like stepping into a very peaceful haven. The atmosphere that's been created here is superb and I felt as though I had slowed down.
The breakfast is included in the price. You are served whatever the cook decides to prepare for that day and although it wasn't food I would usually eat in the morning - it was DIVINE. It's served at tables in a leafy courtyard with relaxing music playing in the background.
The beds are big (and hard) but having said that, I slept superbly well.
The hotel is a little away from the central Bangkok. However, I didn't find that a problem once I'd mastered (not difficult) the local river boats. It cost 15 baht to Central pier and took about 30 minutes but I thoroughly enjoyed each trip on them.
The staff are fantastic too although a little challenged at time with English.
This hotel is a joy to stay in and top class hotels could learn a lot about how to take care of guests. I'll be returning.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo