“Best service I've experienced anywhere! (And great showers too.)”

Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel
Ranked #5 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Siem Reap, Cambodia
“Best service I've experienced anywhere! (And great showers too.)”
Reviewed 15 May 2008

Many other reviews have sung the praises of Phranakorn-Nornlen's original and wonderfully funky decor, their excellent breakfasts, their internet access, the neighborhood, etc. and I would agree with every positive thing said about all of that.

I want to particularly rave about the amazing service. Five of us stayed here in April 2008. My mother and I had been traveling for a couple of weeks, and my husband and children were arriving to surprise my mother on her birthday. Last-minute travel delays for them meant I had to email the PN staff and explain why only two people rather than five would be checking in at first, and I didn't want anyone to spoil the surprise by asking about the others. The staff was amazing - notes on the reception desk alerted everyone, no one said a thing to spoil the surprise, and they offered to arrange a van so I could go back to the airport and pick up the rest of my family late at night. They asked if we wanted flowers or cake or anything else to help celebrate, and they arranged all of this, plus massages for us. When we wanted to get food from a hard-to-find restaurant, they called the restaurant to get information and help us place an order, arranged a cab to get us there, and when we brought all the food back, they rushed to bring out plates and utensils so we could eat in style. When I had a problem with my ATM card, they helped me call my bank at home to take care of it.

Every bit of this wonderful service was provided with a smile. We left feeling well taken care of, and we would return again without hesitation.

(And of all the hotels we stayed in Southeast Asia, PN had the best showers anywhere!!!)

• Liked — Amazing service and wonderful showers!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank jessw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Bangkok
Reviewed 13 May 2008

Phom Rok PN!!!! Seriously, I love this place. The first night I arrived in Bangkok this was where I stayed and I continued to stay at PN for a week. I have come back many times since then and simply because I love the staff and the environment is so comfortable. I can literally just hang out at Phranakorn Nornlen all day and be happy. It's a real get-away. Great food, great rooms, wonderful staff and it truly is relaxing. The new upgrades should be pretty cool, I hadn't seen the roof until a week ago.

I want to give a shout out to all my people at PN!!!

I strongly suggest you stay here if you're visiting BKK.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Mosquitos?
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 8 May 2008

Without the need to write what many others have written about this lovely hotel, my girlfriend and I truely enjoyed our stay at Phranakorn-Nornlen.
The settings brings me fond memories of my childhood !
The breakfast were wonderful and yupz.. even when we had an early flight to catch, there was breakfast packed for us!
Wonderful staff, simple and down to earth.
Thanks for everything guys!

My only hope is that the place doesnt get over commercialised and loses its charm! Will definitely be back in Sept for another stay! ! (:D)

• Liked — Simple settings + Warm and personal service!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 April 2008

Let me just begin by saying that I really, really hope the Lonely Planet doesn't start listing the Phranakorn as a place to stay anytime soon. My reason for saying this is entirely selfish- I just don't want my new favorite hotel to be ruined by an influx of travelers, especially travelers that won't appreciate its quirky charm. My boyfriend and I stayed here three nights and as soon as we stepped through the gates of the Phranakorn and into the garden outside of the lobby we knew that we had fallen in love with this hotel.

Every room has been painted differently (we were in room 209) and every aspect of the Phranakorn's accommodations have been attended to in such a way that they radiate cheerfulness. Everything from the garden to the quaint little open air "internet cafe" (about five computers) has been decorated in such a fashion as to convey a cozy atmosphere as enthusiastically as possible- something more recognizable hotel chains will always fail at, although I do not believe it's from a lack of effort (please see my review on the Sofitel Metropol in Hanoi).

As all of the other reviews have said, the organic breakfast has been really well done- every morning a different breakfast in a open air facility that overlooks the garden. Also, just like the other reviews have stated, the Phranakorn staff are the definition of hospitality (something that comes in handy when trying to find a restaurant for dinner or other various activities). As for the tours, we went on the Kanchanaburi trip, which was also really well choreographed. We had a driver and a tour guide, and ourselves (all two of us). I had originally anticipated other guests from the hotel to be joining us, but it truly is a "private tour". Our driver and tour guide were always available without being intrusive, no doubt another benefit of a well organized and efficient routine. One example of this was we asked our tour guide and driver to join us for lunch- clearly we would have enjoyed their company but they maintained a professional distance and politely declined. Given our experience with the tour that we took I would highly recommend guests to utilize the tours the Phranakorn has available- just make sure you have enough Baht handy when the tour is over, they don't allow you to add the charge to your hotel room.

Aside from all of the positives, there are a few other things visitors should keep in mind. The Phranakorn is comfortably set apart from the bright lights of Bangkok- something that we appreciated- but other guests may not. Other things some traveler's may want that are not available: a tv, a swimming pool, a mini bar, elevators- When talking with the staff one morning she informed me that *sometimes* their guests are disappointed when they discover these amenities are not available. This, along with the location, are the only reasons I would not suggest this hotel to ALL travelers to Bangkok, even those used to the advantages of a five star hotel (i.e. me). One last suggestion- if you're looking for an all night party or a room to exploit the ubiquitous sex trade... again, this hotel is not for you (a detail the reservation process will make clear regardless). Although I will admit that a swimming pool would have been nice (mainly because it was so hot during our visit), I would still prefer this hotel over any other in Bangkok, no matter how many butlers, swimming pools, or stars it comes with. I appreciate originality, and this hotel epitomizes it.

• Liked — The charm!
  • Disliked — leaving.
3 Thank charlegirl
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 April 2008

Great stay. Great People. Great Service. It was a real treat to stay here - we really enjoyed it. We felt very well looked after and not just another number. Everything was exactly as described including Airport pickup, The breakfasts were also great. We will definitely recommend to others. Cheers :o)

• Liked — service and uniqueness
  • Disliked — explaining to taxi how to get there
3 Thank assid
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 20 April 2008

Staying at Phranakorn-Nornlern is like staying with family, only BETTER!!! The staff is phenomenal!!! They go out of the way to make you feel at home and are ALWAYS there to answer questions! We left Bangkok to visit the coast and the day of our departure, the hotel stuff packed us a breakfast for our trip!! How many hotels would do that??

Try to bael fruit tea - you will be hooked!!!

This hotel is a GREAT escape from the craziness of your life. A tranquil retreat.

• Liked — the rooms are unique
  • Disliked — sometimes we couldn't get a cab back to the hotel
2 Thank bubbie9
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 20 April 2008

Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel is a wonderful place to stay in Bangkok. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. They are willing to help you with anything ranging from restaurant recommandations to arranging transportation.

The hotel is hidden in a small street in a friendly neighbourhood. Once you enter the door of the hotel, you will forget you are in Bangkok. The decoration of the hotel and the rooms are unique. It makes you feel very comfortable. The room we had was not too small. There was enough space for all the luggages. The bed was firm and comfortable. The CD player adds a lot of pleasure to our stay. And the evening tea made you feel relaxed after a whole day out in the city. Another highlight was the breakfast ! It is true that every morning was a surprise and it never let us down ! We are actually missing it ...

Even though the hotel is not situated in the center of the city, you could get there easily with a taxi. And there is a ferry pier just 10 minutes walk away which can take you to the major tourist sights.

We highly recommand it to anyone who is looking for something different from the major hotel chain.

We will definitely stay here again next time !

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple