“Touched by every little thing at Phranakorn-Nornlen” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel
Ranked #5 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Johor Bahru District, Malaysia
“Touched by every little thing at Phranakorn-Nornlen”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Had our stay between 1-3 June 2014 at PN, witnessed the awesomeness of arts and indulged in the vintage atmosphere from the very first moment we stepped into its premise. We appreciated all services provided by the PN personnel and their sincerity did touched our heart. Even now that we've returned to Malaysia, the great experience we had with PN has always been the hot topic among us. Slow down our pace, we'll get to savor our life better.
Yiindee thii dai ruu jak Phranakorn-Nornlen, wang waa ja daai phop gan iik.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank IAMADD
PhranakornNornlen, Public Relations Manager at Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear " IAMADD "

Thank you very much for your comments
We are appreciate to hear from you , and know that you had a great experiences and happy time with us here , we hope our style can make you feel comfy as your home ,we hope to meet you again " laew phop gan iik "

Have a slow life :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Brussels
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

The Phranakorn-Nornlen is not your average hotel. If you're looking for your middle of the road, average western style accommodation, don't book in here! It's located near the old town, good access to the main sites via the nearby river boats and is in a busy neighbourhood that is both charming and chaotic. What the PN might lack in usual comforts and luxuries it more than makes up for with character, style and quirkiness. Bits and bobs from previous decades are carefully laid out in a shopping street design when you walk in; the decorations are wonderfully characterful and beautifully done. Food from the kitchen is basic but good. Rooms are roomy - the family room was ideal for our family of 4 with 2 separate but adjoining rooms; lovely comfy areas downstairs to relax and a rooftop bar to enjoy cocktails. The cooking class in the rooftop garden was a delight and even my risk-averse (when it comes to Asian food) 11yr old daughter loved it. Peaceful and quiet, away from the hubbub, high attention to detail, friendly and helpful staff - in the centre of Bangkok. What more could you want?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sjcneill
PhranakornNornlen, Front Office Manager at Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear " sjcneill "

Our hotel is an old vintage thai style I an old city , decorated in old display for remind about the old Bangkok , we need our guest tucked away from chaotic city and the pollution , make you feel like you are home and sitting in a backyard with greenery filed . Each room has their own style with different handed painting and the old furniture display , we also serve vegetarian menu and varieties of hot and cold beverages ( smoothies are highly recommended. ) , our staff is always ready to welcome you with a smiley face with great service , we hope you will visit us again

Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

To stay at Phranakorn Nornlen can be the first step to active experience Bangkok and Thailand in a slow life way.... The area of Thewet is a good way to be in Bangkok for tourist who doesnt need shopping and neonlight and want to eat very local. good luck

Room Tip: It doesnt matter which room you get. All is very nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank SlowLifeTravel
Dear " SlowLifeTravel "

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to our hotel soon , the staff is waiting to give you the best service and see our guest come back and smile again

Springbrook, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

What a wonderful place! Totally unique. Tucked away on a little street, the entrance was so small I would have missed it if I hadn't looked it up on Google streetview first. In Bangkok this is a desirable thing! Well if you seek peace, quiet, and relaxation like my partner and I. Once you get in there is a beautiful charm to the place. A blast of retro awesomeness. Old televisions, cameras and toys on the walls. A lovely garden to relax in. Are those rabbits?
Was that a barber chair? Yep!
The room was very cute. I was so thankful for the aircon. Bangkok is hot! The artwork on the walls made it feel different to every other room and the bed was the most comfortable we stayed in during our trip. Since it was the first place we stayed in on the trip I missed that bed.
I didn't go into the other rooms but I just assume they all had their own touch. I wanted to see them all. Breakfasts were vegetarian. I am vegetarian. The guy sitting at the side making the juice from scratch had charm. Yes charm is the word. Will be back next year.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HouseGrey
Dear " HouseGrey "

First of all we have to say " welcome to PN's world " , feel like home when you step in to our hotel , we have a comfy corner for you to lay down your back and forget all of stress also we have a smll vintage display for take a photo . Our room is decorated in a different style each room has unique design . In the morning you can enjoy a fresh vegetarian breakfast and a selection of hot beverage also , fresh fruit juice .

We hope you will come back to visit us again
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed here based on reviews found on TripAdvisor as I was looking for something a little different in a hotel. I found it indeed. It is totally unlike any other hotel I have stayed in.

Pros: Unique layout and design. Like a retro museum throughout the place. Downstairs is quite pleasant to relax and enjoy life. Some lounge pillows and tables to sit back.

Breakfast is different everyday - much different than name brand 4 or 5 star hotels that offer the same buffet breakfast every morning. A good breakfast.

The room is full of painted designs and some odd knickknacks.

Our room had it's own air conditioner and a comfortable bed and a little balcony.

Cons- I was under the belief that the room had a safe. There was none. I didn't not feel comfortable just leaving my passport or money in the room and when I asked about a safe deposit box I received a reply that didn't make any sense at all - there was a room with a locker that I could store my stuff but I have to provide my own padlock. Safety is more important than comfort and leaving my passport or money in an unsecured location does not make me comfortable. Instead I had to carry both passport and excess funds in my pocket everyday - I don't like to do that. Hopefully hotel owners will understand this and install a safe in each room.

The rooms do not have a TV. Not a big deal to me but my significant other enjoys watching tv.

Also the location can be a pain. No train close by and when we went shopping no taxi driver wanted to take us back at night saying that they couldn't get a fare from there. All wanted to charge 2x the meter, We finally got a taxi driver to take us back at night.

Things that are close to there are the Walking Street - Night Market. About a 15 minute walk away. The main shopping malls take about 30 minutes to get to - only by taxi and the traffic is bad often.

There is a 7/11 on the corner and plenty of places to eat outside - nothing fancy though - lots of street food places that are cheap and decent.

Not sure if I would stay here again. When I return to Bangkok I will most likely stay at a hotel closer to the BKK Train System as it is more convenient. The hotel is a bit away from everything but in a quiet part of town.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MonteBurns
Ipoh, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

We loved this place very much. Joined their cooking class and managed to learn how to cook Tom Kha Gai. We really enjoy the class, hope can join other classes too next time. Besides that, their breakfast was great too, although is vegetarian, it was really satisfying. Love the environment and all the murals in the room, We took tons of pictures there! Will be back again one day!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PhranakornNornlen, Front Office Manager at Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear "Min225 "

We are so appreciate to hear from you that you joined with our cooking class . In the class , you will see how Thai people prepare food and learn how to cook Thai food properly . For breakfast we serve fresh dish everyday ( pulse fresh fruit and fresh fruit ) if you love to take a picture our hotel is a right place for you , you can see colorful painting everywhere also an old vintage furniture , it is like a small world full of imagination hiding from a chaos and busy life
Hopefully you will back here again :)

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Clean, comfortable, good food. Atmosphere is interesting, not the normal, but quite pleasant. Feels nicely isolated from Bangkok activity, but it's close to the action. I wish there was more room to put clothes, on a 3 week trip I've got a few things to hang up...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank daveAustinTex
Dear " daveAustinTex"

We are happy to see your reviewed , and it will be encourage our staff to improve the hotel
and we are so apologize about a space to put your clothes , we will find the way to solve the problem and thank you very much to let us known about this problem
We hope you will visit us again