“Great staff, peaceful little haven”

Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel
Ranked #5 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
NYC
“Great staff, peaceful little haven”
Reviewed 26 December 2008

Stayed here for a total of 5 nights due to being stuck in Bangkok for the protest. The staff were great and very helpful amidst all the craziness with the airport situation.
The rooms are great. Good size, stayed in two different rooms and they were both the same. Great organic touch with the cd and player in the room, free water bottles, and great breakfast which was different everyday. The garden and the view of the Buddha upstairs are also very nice.
The bathrooms are okay. After the bathroom gets wet from the shower, it takes a while for it to dry which has a little smell. Also not the hotel's fault, but mosquitoes in the main areas. Breakfast menu is great but lunch and dinner are the same, so plan to be out in the city for those meals.

• Liked — The staff and the yummy breakfast
  • Disliked — Mosquitoes
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Sydney
Reviewed 26 December 2008

We booked this hotel following the excellent reviews on Tripadvisor and were not disappointed. Our taxi driver definitely needed the map the hotel emailed us, as the hotel appears to be tucked away in a small quiet street. Please make sure you email the hotel to request their map, as the printable map from the website is less detailed. The hotel feels like an oasis away from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok.

The hotel has a beautiful courtyard filled with tropical trees and plants. There is an open 'house' in the courtyard with a couple of free internet computers and a Thai massage area. Our room was on the ground floor with its own charming little courtyard. The room albeit small, was beautifully painted with lotus flowers and butterflies fluttering around, and very clean. The bathroom was tiny but adequate and had open copper plumbing that gave it a retro look. The water in the sink drained away very slowly and the hotel explained that there was some problem with the plumbing affecting some of the ground floor rooms.

Hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful, even running out to the street to hail a taxi, when the taxi we ordered did not arrive. They appear to really enjoy working there. The breakfast meals were very scrumptious.

• Liked — Charming atmosphere
  • Disliked — Bathroom plumbing issue
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
US
Reviewed 23 December 2008

We stayed at the Phranakorn this November during our vacation. It was our second stay there. We also spent the night there last year in August.

The Phranakorn is very unique- laid back and artsy. It's a bit tough to find at first (down a small alley drive), but once you open the gates you are in a small garden oasis in Bangkok. It's the perfect escape from the city!

The rooms are small but clean, and decorated with hand painted murals. The staff is so kind. In the mornings they serve an eclectic breakfast- typically vegetarian and Asian cuisine.

If you are looking for a big chain hotel with homogenized amenities- don't stay here! If you are looking for something lovely and different- you've found it.

We will always stay here when we visit Bangkok.

1 Thank amhe
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed 13 December 2008

Phranakorn Nornlen hotel is a quiet retreat in the hectic Bangkok city. Near the water taxi. Great staff and breakfast. Clean and spacious twin room. I will come back andd will recommend the hotel to my friends.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The dog barking next door
1 Thank Helena M
Doncaster, UK
Reviewed 12 December 2008

My partner and I had heard lots of reviews from all sorts of people about what a shock Bangkok would be to us, with the heat, noise, culture.....so my partner and i did some careful researching into where we wanted to stay. When my partner saw Phranakorn Nornlen on Trip Advisor, I was dead against it thinking that it looked to quirky and not modern enough etc. However we decided to give it a go. The hotel is down a little side street and a little out of the way which initally worried me as I am used to the large 5* hotels. Word of advise: Make sure that you get the address in Thai from their website, even with this your cab driver might get lost. Having said that, dont let that put you off. The hotel is wonderful, like nothing I have ever seen before. Not to spoil it too much for you, but the walls are hand painted with art work with anything from bookshelves to flowers and exotic birds. The garden is an amazing oasis of calm. The staff are wonderful and so friendly. The rates were very decent and the rooms were very clean, well kept and maintained. The Phranakorn Nornlen is like no other hotel I have ever stayed in, I enjoyed my stay here and would not hesitate to return.

• Liked — The personalisation that has gone into the hotel to make it so unique
  • Disliked — Taxi drivers didnt know it as they would a large hotel
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kirsty1981
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 December 2008

Phranakorn-Nornlen encourage you to write reviews on here, good or bad, so they can improve their service, but really. what's to improve! Let me start by saying I have a theory. PN does so well on here because it exceeds all expectations, even after you have read the reviews. Consequently it beats out nearly all the 5* like the Conrad, Shangri-La etc because we are all looking to pick holes in those guys. Anyway, if you need to have *all* your luxuries this might not be the place for you, our room didn't actually have closets and the shower is open in the bathroom (not over the loo though), but those things don't bother us. The room was comfortable and decorated smartly. The bed was firm, great for our backs and rested us well. The courtyard has beautiful flowers and other greenery making it the oasis many people talk about. Within the courtyard is an open outhouse with free internet and a Thai massage sala that plays relaxing music throughout the day. The massages are great! The rest of the buildings that comprise the small hotel emphasize an artsy flair with brick-a-brack decorating shelves as well as paintings etc. The vegetarian breakfast there is stunning! Their Phad Thai was the best we have had, ever. Do the Don Wai market food tour, it is really interesting, even if you can't stomach all the food at least give it a try. All of this contributes to an extremely relaxing atmosphere in the middle of the craziness that is Bangkok. But the best thing about the hotel is the staff. They are extremely friendly and listen to you, including your long stories about what you did that day, sharing your joy at finding a bargain in JJ market or commiserating with you that you finally caved to the 20BHT tuk tuk scam. They are eager to please and helpful and try to make your stay unique compared to other high- or low-brow experiences. In short, stay here in Bangkok.

Logistics. Go to their website and download a map or directions for your airport transfer, or use their service (ignore all the solicitations inside the airport terminal!). It can be tough to find down a soi off Th Thewet just north of the Banlamphu area. They provide a small map and directions for taxi drivers once you arrive which makes it even easier. The hotel is only a 5-10 minute walk from the river taxis, use that as your starting point to get to anywhere in Bangkok and avoid the hounding by the "friendly" locals who want to hook you up with lucky buddhas etc. on a 20 BHT tuk tuk tour for which they and the driver get commission.

• Liked — Friendliness, atmosphere
1 Thank VdGEB
London
Reviewed 9 December 2008

I would like to share with potential visitors to Bangkok the experience I had when I travelled to the Thai capital with my partner and 2 year old son. From the moment we arrived, coming in from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok, we were struck by how much this is an oasis of peace and tranquility. When we met the "family" who work so hard to make this place special, we realised that this was not just a hotel but a vision and a dream of the community who come together there. This was captured in the rooftop puppetry show that told a traditional Thai story which we were invited to watch which had my son fascinated.

The room itself was fairly basic and rustic but the bed was huge enough for my family to share together and the bathroom with industrial sized shower made up for this. Our room was decorated modestly compared to some of the others that can be viewed on the website but we did book our room rather late. Book early to secure the more colourful rooms which are painstakingkly decorated by a local artist.

The staff were simply brilliant. One night our son came down with tummy troubles and one of the girls who worked there accompanied my partner and myself to the hospital at 4am and stayed with us till he had been discharged. Incredible and it was her day off!! The following night was my birthday which I had decided to celebrate at the hotel. I had kept this quiet so imagine our surprise when the staff came out and sang me happy birthday and provided me with complimentary drinks and food. They must have observed my birthday was imminent when I checked in with my passport.

The final thing I loved was the communal area where you could use the internet and the dining area where you could sit and drink. The family treated us like their brethren and made us feel at home in such a foreign land. They really looked out for my son and introduced him to the chef's son who brought out the parrot to play with. I noticed my son was speaking some Thai by the end of the holiday which he must have picked up from his rich interactions with the family there.

I simply cannot wait to return there in March 2009 when we will be concluding our 10 week honeymoon.

My recommendation is to not even think about booking this hotel just do it now as it is an experience that simply can't be missed. For those who enjoy more soulless luxury hotels it is best to avoid as it does not have fitness centres or swimming pool. What it does have is an excellent massage therapist who will help you relax after a hard day's exploring in the mad but wonderful city of Bangkok.

• Liked — The sense of becoming part of a family for a few days.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family