“beautiful & unique”

Ranked #4 of 866 Hotels in Bangkok
Seattle
“beautiful & unique”
Reviewed 3 March 2009

Phranakorn-Norlen is a traveler's dream. I loved the eclectic furnishings and murals, the hot tea and music that greeted me every night when I returned to my room, and the jungle-like garden. The breakfasts were all vegetarian and delicious, and the staff was super friendly. I wish I could move in for good! The rooms were modestly priced, so there were a lot of young families and solo travelers.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
London
Reviewed 21 February 2009

We stayed at the Phranakorn Nornlen for 2 nights at the end of our visit to Thailand. Very friendly place, the staff were always smiling and willing to help. The rooms were a reasonable size for the price and really well decorated. There were some thoughtful touches, such as the CD player and handmade soaps. The food served for breakfast was good (the coffee was great!), although the second morning's serving of rice, salad and coconut soup was slightly bizarre. Our only complaints were the thin walls - a baby was in the room next to us and we could clearly hear the shouting, crying, playing etc from 6am - and the fact that the hotel's slightly off the beaten track so most taxi drivers did not know where it was. The hotel did give us a directions card to give to taxi drivers but on giving this to two separate drivers they refused to take us there, we still haven't worked out why!
Otherwise great value hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank London452
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 February 2009

Most of the time when i and my gf travel,we usually enjoy outside the hotel more,we can't wait to go outside.But Phranakorn Nornlen have change our routine forever, we have check in Jan 28 2009 for one night, Its simply amazing.The staff is most helpful, wonderful smile everytime(not the fake one) and i guess the green and creative ambients is making everyone so calm and happy face.Room are clean, comfort and quiet.Breakfast is super great, simple and real healthy.They have a roof top garden which is great for a evening chat.There are more to praise but for short it is simply a place where we don't wanna leave.Will stay there again for a longer period.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed 12 February 2009

continues to be ranked as a "hidden gem" by TA for very good reason. It will not be "hidden" for long, so GO NOW!

• Liked — the staff, the food, the location let's you see the real Bangkok.
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 9 February 2009

I booked the Phranakorn Nornlen directly through the hotel website. I based my decision on the reviews from TripAdvisor.

As others have mentioned the PN is not a business hotel with the associated amenities. It is not even a Travelodge. It is modeled more on the guesthouse concept and does that role well. I came into the experience with the right expectations and if you do you won't come out overly disappointed as some people on here have.

The rooms at PN are basic. My room (a single) contained a double bed, a sideboard, table and chairs. The ensuite is a wet bathroom. There is no shower curtains and the floor does get wet. Otherwise it is okay. Some people have complained that the bed is too hard for them. It was a bit harder than I normally like but not awful. The room had both aircon and a fan. The hotel also has free wifi throughout which was appreciated.

The PN is not located in the Bangkok CBD. Most hotels are centered on Sukhimvit, Silom and Yaowarat, however the PN is located in the residential area of Thewet. From my point of view this i not a big issue. It is located an easy 5 minute walk from the River Express Boat which will get you close to any attraction in the Old City and connects with the Skytrain. The location does mean that travel time is a bit higher than if you stay elsewhere but it is no big issue. If you prefer to take taxis, most destinations in Bangkok cost under 100B (just make sure you have a slip with the address in Thai for your taxi driver to read).

The hotel common areas are unfortunately not air conditioned though this would be hard as they are open air areas so this is understandable. The breakfast served in the hotel is mostly Western style using local ingredients. I did not particularly like it but there was nothing really wrong with it. They do serve nice fresh juices though which were great.

The staff at PN are great and seemed to be genuinely friendly. They all speak at least conversational English and try to go out of their way to make things easy for people.

Now there are some downsides.

1. While the rooms are passable, there need to be some more amenities to justify the price charged. It is very easy to stay in a more centrally located hotel for half the price in Bangkok and have a similar standard of amenities (though not the charm and warmth of the staff). For example, I would appreciate an alarm clock and a radio/cd player in the room. It is really simple things that make the stay a little nicer.

2. Through some miscommunication my airport transfer was not properly booked and thus was not at the airport to pick me up. It was okay in the end but not something I wanted at midnight.

3. The hot water service in my room was a little underwelming. The water was slightly less than lukewarm.

These are somewhat minor gripes but they did detract from the overall experience. The PN is a nice calm place in Bangkok but its location may be a drawback for some and its lack of facilities will put off others.

• Liked — The staff and the calm
  • Disliked — Location and a lack of some facilities.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank dgilks
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed 7 February 2009

The Phranakorn suited us perfectly as a family (mum, dad, 3 yr old and 7 yr old). The focus seems to be on substance. The food; simple, but excellent, the rooms; you might call them small but in our situation, with small children, even big rooms become small. So they were just right.

The soap in the bathroom was made by one of the employees, the vegetarian breakfasts were beautiful as was the quiet indoor/outdoor setting, with a little fish pond and area for massages and several computers. SO nice to come back to after a hectic day in Bangkok.

River taxis are walking distance, bus stop right across the street - plenty of taxis and tuk-tuks just out the door.

The staff were fantastic! By the 4th day there, we could just about have left our kids there for the day. Very helpful, young and genuinely concerned about our satisfaction.

• Liked — staff/food
  • Disliked — ?
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank 2n2
England
Reviewed 6 February 2009

This was my last night in Thailand. Booked one night at this hotel and paid for an extra half day. The bedroom was beautiful as was the little private garden I had to myself. The whole ambience is one of relaxation. The main area is so pretty with a relaxing courtyard and garden area. The dining area is clean and very pretty. Free internet to use. Free soap and shower wash (natural products). Welcome drink and tea at bedtime. Free water at any time. Lots of families here with small children and I could see why - very inviting and relaxed. Also the children can play in a small play area.
The hotel is divided into many areas like little courtyards or streets.
If you go to the top floor you get a wonderful view.
Food was delicious.
Staff were lovely and so helpful and courteous.
Lots of lovely goods for sale too.
I felt I was in an old hotel from the 20's or 30's and if the staff had asked me to wear a flapper dress or even a sarong for my stay I would have.
I would gladly have stayed here longer and possibly never have gone out to see the sights in Bangkok.
Immediate area is really good too so explore it by foot and do not immediately go to the main tourist sights.

• Liked — Beautiful areas including bedroom and private garden.
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing.
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled solo