“Over all good”

Ranked #775 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
Oslo, Norway
“Over all good”
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Nice 3 star hotel in center of touris area. Rooms a little old but nice. Clean. Fast and free internet in room. Electric pot. Friendly staff. Nice and clean little pool on the rooftop. Not many and very old sun beds. Ok breakfast buffet. A bit far from Sukhumvit Road, but excellent free tuk tuk service from/to hotel. Good value for money. I’ll stay here again.

Room Tip: Good location for shopping and night entertainment.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank reisePaal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Surrey
Reviewed 9 January 2013

If you are looking for a budget place to stay - maybe more suitable for blokes who aren't bothered about the furnishings being old, the bathroom having a friendly cockroach that we had to dispose of; then this will be fine. We only booked here for one night having stayed on in Bangkok for an extra day after our original booking at the Best Western which was a bit more our style. This was probably very smart in the 1970's - last time it was decorated I think by the fashion! The dining room had plate glass topped tables that had been broken and the damaged edges were taped with brown parcel tape to stop you cutting yourself! Having said all this it was clean just tatty and the breakfast was OK. However I would never stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GuildfordTraveller08

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Captain Cook, Hawaii
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I have watched this hotel go down hill for many years.It was once my favorite hotel so I need a room for 1 night so I book for old time sake.I arrive at night and get a non smoking room that had an ash tray in it and smelled like a chain smoker had been in there. The room air conditioner sound like a jet engine. TheTv didnt work very well and when I ask for a wake up call I discover that the phone wasnt working.The very very poor breakfast was good reason to go out and eat breakfast.Someone took a picture of the pool and posted it on the photos on the web page above.other than that its what it is.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank seamillfarmcom
Ranchi, Jharkhand, India
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Do not be fooled by the photographs of the hotel in the net. The upkeep is very poor. The courtesey is poor except the housekeeping staff. The lights in the room goes on and off again and again. The complementary breakfast is lousy. Very , very poor. Do not stay in this hotel at all!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Shanker_13
Kristianstad, Sweden
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Swimmingpool is important for me. Royal Asia Lodge has one but it is dirty and it seems not been maintained. I think no guest has used the pool area for some time. I was disappointed.

I found one cockroach on the wall. Many small insects in the bathroom.

Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Roskarlen
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Very bad customer service with a racist manger in the front desk!!!! The hotel is breaking apart with no repairs. I was baffled when the manager asked us to use a broken bed as he implied he has no choice!! I would avoid this hotel at all cost... It's a hotel which is not fit for operation!!!
Moreover the manager argued with us saying that we can take him to high court for this if we want to but he can't give his guest proper accommodation…I would simply say never choose this hotel for accommodation!!!

• Stayed December 2012
6 Thank Anjilsthapit
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 25 December 2012

I read a lot of criticism of Royal Asia Lodge Hotel so I was a bit hesitant to book there. In the end, these fears were largely unfounded and I was satisfied with my stay. It's a very cheap place so you can't expect things to be like a 5 star anyway!

What I liked the most was the great location near Thanon Sukhumvit, a very lively thoroughfare with restaurants, MRT and BTS stations and a huge commercial centre (Terminal 21). The area is filled with places for shopping and eating and you can catch a Skytrain or MRT within 10-15 minutes of walking. The hotel also provides a tuk-tuk service to the main road (though that kind of service seems to be provided by all other hotels in the same street). In addition, the hotel is found near a busy area but is still able to provide a quiet environment for sleeping at night.

My room was large, larger than I expected, with a big bed too. The TV is old but OK and I was able to watch the sports programmes I enjoy. There was enough room for my suitcase, clothes and laptop and a safe, and still room remained to walk around. I'm pointing this out because I've stayed in more expensive hotels in Singapore where you get a much smaller room in spite of paying more and moving around inside the room becomes a problem. Everyday the room got cleaned up to my satisfaction and I was offered 2 water bottles, even on days when I didn't use the ones I had been offered the day before.

Breakfast was OK though a wider choice of fruits and beverages would have been welcome. I don't enjoy coffee or tea in the morning and missed my usual hot chocolate. Otherwise, more than acceptable.

The reception staff were very helpful, even though some of them struggled with English. I had no trouble negotiating a late check-out, which was very helpful as my flight was at 2 a.m. I could thus stay in the hotel longer.

The Wi-Fi internet was a huge plus, fast and reliable. Now I come from a country that pretends to be tech-savvy but offers some of the slowest Internet around the world, so the wi-fi available at Royal Asia Lodge Hotel was more than welcome!

The one thing I most disliked about my stay was a problem with the shower. When I took my first shower I noted with surprise that I wasn't getting hot water, only cold. I contacted reception and they duly sent someone to repair the shower. I got the warm water I wanted for 2 days... before the situation became the same as before. Only cold water. Again I contacted the reception, they promised to send someone but this time no one came. I didn't bother insisting, therefore I took cold water showers for the remainder of my stay (5-6 nights). Because of the heat in Bangkok, it wasn't too uncomfortable but still that's a regrettable service failure from the hotel.

The toilet's flushing system seems a bit old and in need of maintenance too. Occasionally I received the company of some insects... not cockroaches, smaller ones. I wasn't bothered as they were few of them and they were not threatening, but that kind of thing could deter other guests.

For the budget I had, Royal Asia Lodge was a perfect fit. Maybe if I go back to Bangkok on a higher budget, I wouldn't stay there. But if I had to go back with a similar budget, I have little doubt that I would stay with them again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo