“Adaquate airport hotel”

Avana Bangkok Hotel
Ranked #689 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We have stayed here several times whilst on business in Bangkok or going to the airport, It is easy to find and the rooms are generally good in the main building. In the new annex the room are not so clever, not easy to get to from the main hotel lobby and the room we were in last was dark and sparse. I would object if put in that area again. Breakfast is good, although a bit of a scrum. Staff generally very helpful

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 17 April 2014

This hotel is located '15 minutes' from the airport, but leave plenty of time if you are going to anything as the back way to the international takes an hour. The location is also a bit strange but it is a short bus ride to Big C- if you feel brave enough to stand in the road and flag it down! The room itself is a good size but the bathroom would benefit from having bars of soap to wash your hands. The pressure for the hot water is lower than the cold on the shower, so to have a reasonable temperature you need to start the shower with the hot tap open only then add cold to taste.
I did not have any problems with rude staff as mentioned in other reviews. Breakfast is extremely lacklustre and only caters for their far eastern clientele- there was no continental option, the evening meals in the restaurant were not particularly good either.

Free wifi only comes with direct bookings through the hotel, it is also very unstable.

In summary, it is OK for a short transit stop, don't purchase the wifi, be prepared to eat out.

Room Tip: Rooms backing onto the lift shafts are very noisy- all night
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lightmeup
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This hotel was so rude and disrespectful.
First of all in morning buffet, staff of hotel were monitoring the guests. And
if guests put some dishes or spoon at wrong place they sigh so loudly and complain to guests. Even Sometimes they were yelling at kids or teenagers in buffet to put spoon for food at right place. Staff never tried to serve for guests but just complain to them.
My team checked out in early morning beacuse of Bangkok traffic jam, font desk staff stoped us and they said robes were missing in two rooms. We were in hurry that time so we cheked to aur team members and know that cleaning staff took it already. But staff just keep saying that never happens and talk so impolitely even my boss was there and he is much older than them. It was so disrispectful. They didn't try to find robe but just trying to make us to pay a fine. Finally we asked front stff to see manager, they were yelling to us to Get away! Go away! It's done, so Just Go! I still can not believe that serving staff ayelling at gusts even guests were much older than them. It just happened at 10.Feb.2014!! Some of my friends checked out later than us so they looked all the laundry bucket and found our two lost robes in the end. Can you believe this is the atitude of the hotel man? After all we tried to phone call to manager but they are avoiding it untill now.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank haru0515
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Word to Steve B's review. I could not say it any better. We basically had the same experience. Not sure what Tracy H is talking about. The only highlight was the man singing at the restaurant near the hotel. The only restaurant in the area that we had to walk down a long dark alley to get to. I wouldn't recommend the food but the entertainment was top notch.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SarGul2014
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Booked this place as a transit hotel awaiting another flight.

This hotel is no different than a hostel. We did not have running hot water, there were multiple leaks in the washroom and the sink had trouble draining. it was a horrible experience.

The hotel also is not close to the airport - its a good 20-30 km away. There are any places closer to the airport that are similarly prices, or just A LITTLE more expensive. Spend the money and avoid this place.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Akhil M
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I'm not a crank and I've never panned a hotel before. However, I've used TripAdvisor many times and I'm trying to give back to the community. The Avana Hotel in Bangkok is way, way past its prime. You can do much better in Bangkok.

First, the location. The hotel is near the BITEC convention center but it's not a walk you'd want to take. The surroundings are horrible. There's a dilapidated, unfinished, vacant high-rise just across the entrance to the hotel's long, narrow entrance street. The elevated highway is directly overhead. Stray dogs roam the streets. There are no restaurants nearby. Well, there is one restaurant but it's not one you would want to eat at. We ate there and it was like we were living through a bad movie. The location is simply horrible.

Second, the facilities. The lobby has had an obvious facelift but everything else is tired and worn down. Halls, window casings, floors, doors, elevators, everything is old and worn out. The hallways are tile, not carpet. They look clean but the sound echoes. Good luck sleeping if anyone, and I mean anyone, evens walks down the hall. The bathrooms? Simply awful. My shower drain backed up and the toilet leaked. At least it flushed.

Third wireless. The wireless is completely inaccessible from any of the rooms that we were in. We had people from our group on the third, fifth, seventh, and eighth floors. No one could access the wireless. If you want it, you have to go to the lobby. Oh, you have to pay extra for it and it's slow, slow, slow.

Fourth, the staff. I've had better service at a Motel 6 in South Chicago. I'm serious. The staff was overworked and genuinely unhelpful. My favorite part was trying to check out and get my room deposit back. I had forgotten to save the receipt that they gave me for obtaining the deposit. After presenting my passport, my drivers license, and my credit card to prove who I was, I then offered repeatedly to sign on their register ticket that I had received the deposit. They refused. Without the piece of paper, they would not return the deposit. Finally, after two unsuccessful trips back to the room to try and find the receipt in the garbage can or on the floor, I was finally passed off to a fourth attendant who unhappily gave me back my deposit.

Bottom line: you can do much, much better in Bangkok. We moved to a different hotel close to the Asok station and had a superb experience for just a few dollars more per night.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Steve B
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Avana hotel is a great place to stay while in Bangkok. It is about 15 from BKK airport. Great restaurant inside. You can get a quality massage in the Spa. Very nice spa, not trashy. It has an excellent pool and the rooms are nice and clean. The price is very good for this quality hotel.

Room Tip: You can get a great price using Agoda.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tracy H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangkok
Brighton Hotel & Residence
#458 of 885 in Bangkok
CS Residence
CS Residence
#604 of 885 in Bangkok

Been to Avana Bangkok Hotel? Share your experiences!