“Decent choice, but in need of some maintenance”
Review of Le Fenix Sukhumvit

Le Fenix Sukhumvit
Ranked #343 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
Montreal, Canada
“Decent choice, but in need of some maintenance”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Had an overall good experience at the hotel and a decent deal through an online booking site.

Pros:
- Good value if you have a discount, but not worth the walk-in rates
- Good reception staff
- Good location
- Very comfortable beds
- Good shower
- Clean
- Good and free internet

Cons:

- Still acceptable, but definitely in need of maintenance, and soon. Moldy tiles in bathroom.

- Pool closed indefinitely due to nearby construction and the gym is very small with only one treadmill (two of the main reasons for my booking, so this was disappointing)

- Poor taxi service, which is a shame given that the rest of the staff offered such good service (they allow corrupt drivers that don't use meter on their property, making it a drag to get anywhere without argumentation. Most better hotels do not allow touts on their property and can easily handle a meter taxi service by writing down their licence plates). Because of this, I left on a sour note as I had to talk down to another soi with my luggage in order to find another taxi, and after a couple of bad drivers, I finally found an honest driver. Do not let yourself get conned, a taxi to the airport should NOT cost you over 500 baths, including the highway.

- The alleged "free shuttle" has limited times, so it will not be useful if you have an early flight and I never actually saw it being used. The walk to Nana BTS or Sukhumvit station are an easy 10 minutes though. Overall a decent choice at about 1200 baths, but there are loads of other options nearby if they don't have an ongoing promotion.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the elevator and make sure to request a meter taxi or you will get c...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank gohabsgo2028
LeFenixSukhumvit, General Manager at Le Fenix Sukhumvit, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Neron1234,

Thank you very much for your review, comments and full score. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us on TripAdvisor. We hope you, your family and friends had an awesome visit to Bangkok "Sukhumvit" vicinity. It was a true pleasure meeting everyone. I'm sure you must be glad to be home, your presence here is missed by our entire team.

I note your satisfaction with our service, food and hotel’s facilities. I was also very pleased to read that you appreciated the friendliness and assistance of our staff and enjoyed your visit in our hotel. It is always encouraging for us to learn that our guests are satisfied with our services as it is what we strive for every day.

Thank you for complementing our service, location, comfortable bed, cleanliness, and wifi internet. It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed our service and facilities as it is our constant effort to ensure our service are of high standards always.

I'm really sorry about corrupt taxi drivers in front of the hotel. We are trying to eliminate them out of the hotel area, but it was very difficult to get rid of them. That's why we put a special note about transportation for our guest to avoid using service of taxi who parking in front of the hotel.

I'm also apology about Tuk Tuk Service that's not cover 24 hours a day. We decided to provide Tuk Tuk Service only time between 7 am - 10 pm, as the usage beside that time is very low.

We are extremely happy your stay at Le Fenix Sukhumvit has met up with your expectations and Thank you for sharing and recommending Le Fenix to all guests. It’s a pleasure to welcome you, your family and friends to Le Fenix Sukhumvit soi 11 real soon once again. :)

To all future guests, kindly book directly via our website (see our current promotions) or contact me directly on my email, it’s the Best Rate Guaranteed.

gm@lefenixbangkok.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
australia
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Third stay in 12 months, terrific value for money

Service great, staff great, breakfast great!

I left my iPad in the room and checked out but when I returned they had put it aside for me. Thank you fenix

Note: decided to upgrade and pay extra for a superior room, turns out the rooms were identical to the detail, so I'm not too sure what the upgrade was for

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank losttravellerfromoz
LeFenixSukhumvit, General Manager at Le Fenix Sukhumvit, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Losttravellerfromoz,

Thank you very much for your review and comments. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us on TripAdvisor. We hope you, your family and friends had an awesome visit to Bangkok "Sukhumvit" vicinity. It was a true pleasure meeting everyone. I'm sure you must be glad to be home, your presence here is missed by our entire team.

Male
Reviewed 8 March 2014

The hotel entrance is tucked away on the corner of the bend don't drive too fast or you will miss it. The entrance is the access for the car park with a flight of stairs or lift to the lobby first floor, the reception is small but adequate, with a small table for the tour operator(who was great). We stayed two nights here before moving on to another hotel across the road( i wish we stayed). The lift up to the floor from the lobby, the carpets do look worn but a good clean would bring them back, along a long dark corridor to our room, felt like a tunnel, our room over looked a square to the right the rooms window was from ground to ceiling so you could not have the shades open as people could see in.(really bad design). Bedroom was nice bright, shower room clean and tidy but very tight space, i would love to give the hotel a higher rating but the cost over rated the value for money. We enjoyed the local bars and street cafes the food was excellent, we walked every where, the over head trains where great to get around taxis and tut-tuts in abundance. I read the other reviews before posting this so if you want piece and quite do not book a city center hotel, if you enjoy fun and noise and love street life its perfect walking does you good .

Room Tip: higher the better.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Trevor T-Bone,

It truly was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope you had a pleasant and a memorable stay with us.

I'm terribly sorry on the current hotel condition. For immediate action, we have done for a big cleaning for all entire areas. We also add more schedule in carpet washing to be done on daily basis.

Furthermore, we are now looking for a possibility in renovation entire the hotel. The Interior designer is now on process of design, and we may be able to do the renovation on Low season next year.

I do really appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention and therefore giving us an opportunity to improve. We hope you will give us another chance to welcome you, when you next visit Bangkok. Meanwhile, if I can ever be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you and we wish you a wonderful day ahead!

Best Regards,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This place looks decent from the outside and they have a trendy rooftop bar called Nest. It is right across the street from QBar and the whole Soi 11 club scene is right there. But that's where the good begins and ends.

The hallways are atrocious. The carpet looks like it hasn't been cleaned in years. The walls are dirty and the baseboards are chipped. The room itself was spacious, but there seemed to be no thought given to the setup. There was a large empty space in one corner of the room that just made the whole thing seem off-balance. The tiles on the floor were old and dirty.

In addition, although it is close to the Soi 11 bars and clubs, it is a long trek to the BTS, so it is not a good option if you want to explore the other parts of the city. I paid $32us per night and did not feel it was a good value.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Shivarising,

I fully understand the frustration and anxiety that may have caused you during stay. I regret for the unfortunate circumstances and deeply regret that you did not happy about our hotel conditions. But I'm pleased to inform that we are now planning for a renovation project. The Architecture is now doing an interior design for entire hotel area.

In the meantime, your remarks have been carefully noted and I can assure you that necessary steps have been taken to avoid any not pleasant spots in the hotel area, as our aim and intent is to ensure all employees are totally customer-focus and all guest concerns and requests are handled quickly and efficiently.

I do appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention and therefore giving us an opportunity to improve. We hope you will give us another chance to welcome you, when you next visit to Bangkok.

Meanwhile, I am at your disposal should you need further assistance.

Sincerely yours,

gm@lefenixbangkok.com

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We loved staying on Soi 11 in Sukhumvit and this hotel provided a quiet location to stay there. Sukhumvit 11 has a lot of great places to eat, drink, and party, and Le Fenix is just around the corner from it all. Also, they have a free Tuk Tuk service to the nearest train station if you don't want to hoof it.

The room was fine, great aircon in a hot city, everything worked, and it was clean. The shower door was funny because it was also the door to the bathroom, but not a big deal. The rooms are accessed by secure elevator or secure door that you need your key to enter.

When you first walk in, it smells a little like fish because the restaurant vents to the main lobby, but still not a big deal because you shouldn't be spending to much time there when Soi 11 is at your doorstep.

The service was good, never really needed anything, but we were able to keep our bags at the hotel the day we checked out so we could still explore and not lug around all of our bags. The train station is close and within walking distance but taking the Tuk Tuk is convenient.

We got breakfast our first morning and it was expensive by Bangkok standards ($250 Baht pp), but still was a good breakfast. The next few mornings we just went to the street vendors and got fried eggs with rice, veggies, and whatever meat you wanted. 100 baht for two of us ($3 USD).

Again, this location is great because of all the street food, bars, restaurants, and "Volk Bars" you have so close. The hotel is what it is and is average for American standards, but offers great location, and good service.

Unfortunately we never found the pool or went to the rooftop bar, there was too much fun going on outside to worry about those things.

Room Tip: Our room had a giant wall where the window was supposed to be, I think the Eastern rooms have a view...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
LeFenixSukhumvit, General Manager at Le Fenix Sukhumvit, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Kassidy W,

Thank you for complementing our location and using our shuttle service for easy access to the skytrain. It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed our breakfast spread as it is our constant effort to ensure our service are of high standards always. We are working on a revision price for walk-in, thank you for your feedback.

I'm really sorry about a smelly from the restaurant. I believed that you are coming to check-in during the weekend as you can smell a little like fish. As we have a special and popular promotion "Unlimited alcohol drink with Seafood corner". That's caused a smell of seafood at the restaurant. However, we will do our best to eliminate that smell after finish promotion.

Singapore
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Stayed at Le Fenix for three nights over the weekend and enjoyed my stay there. Generally, the hotel scores in a few areas:

1. Very tastefully put together. Basic but the ID is well considered and it exudes an air of comfort and cleanliness which is very important in hotel stays.

2. Rates. The rates are very reasonable and affordable, comparatively more competitive than other hotels in the region, yet it is so much better than the others.

3. Hospitality and Service - generally nice people except for receptionists who checked us in as though she had a fight w the boyfriend. "Sign here" as she snapped a pen right in front of me. "Cash or Credit card? Need a deposit". Maybe not her day.

4. WIFI WORKS PERFECTLY AND STRONGLY. No issues at all and we are at a corner room. So that pretty much shows that consideration has been put in to ensure the connectivity will not suffer.

Then of course, some other areas to consider:

1`. While the hotel is located at Soi 11, it is located right at the very end. Walking to main road would like 15-20 mins on a bustling street. With the protesters now hogging roads, traffic to this hotel can be a nightmare. Shuttle service provided but it wasn't easy to get the concierge to help as they seem to be "busy" with some other matters.

2. The noise from the pubs and drinking places in Soi 11 can be quite bombastic and heard from the hotel. This is a vicinity issue.

3. Breakfast wasn't the best though I had the nicest waiters serving me breakfast.

4. Wrote an email to the hotel to ask for help to book day tour transport prior to my arrival - never had a reply. That's something which the hotel needs to attend to. Similarly, when we had a blackout over the weekend for a good 10 mins or so, I rang the receptionist to seek advice, only to get a response "you wait, will be ok in 10 mins, DONT CALL." - ok that wasn't very nice esp when all of the sudden hotel was pitch dark. It is natural for guests to feel insecure. To ask myself not to call (maybe the receptionists' english wasnt every good so it was convey properly) wasn't the best answer to a phone call for help.

All in all, a nice stay I had. Just too inconvenient to walk 1/2 km++ with heavy shopping bags from (BTS) main road back to the hotel and you really had to rely on tuks tuks and taxis who charges no less than 150-200 baht when they saw you with bags.

Stayable, good service, not very condusive location but good one of good rates. Better receptionists and more welcoming will make this hotel a popular one soon.

Room Tip: Request for higher floors to keep the noise from pub lower.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear AB Chan,

Thank you for complementing our location and using our shuttle service for easy access to the skytrain. As well as the complement for the internet wifi service that working very well .

I'm terribly sorry about unprofessional behavior from one of our Receptionist. Please rest assured that we have taken serious note of your comments and we will strengthen our focus on our training in these specific areas.

For un-reply e-mail that you have been sent to us. Please let me have more details for further investigation, which e-mail do you sent to? the date you have sent? Please send it to my e-mail at gm@lefenixbangkok.com

Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I booked this room for the convenient location in soi 11.
Although the room was big and clean, I didn't like the overal feel of this hotel. It doens't really have a personal touch, you're just another anonimous client in a big hotel.
The reception took quite a while to check us in, although we booked beforehand. From the room, we heard al the noises in the hallway and the beats from the bar upstairs.

What really bothered me is that they ask a 1000 THB deposit for the room, as if you look like a hooligan or as if you're not thrustworthy. (we booked through booking.com with our credit card, I should think that should be sufficient garanty)

second really annoying thing: free wifi acces is limited to 2 hours per room for your whole stay!! This is the only place in Thailand (and most other countries) I came across that didn't offer free wifi for it's guests. Not acceptable, I think.

for those reasons, would not stay again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BelgianChoco
Dear BelgianChoco,

I fully understand the frustration and anxiety that may have caused you upon arrival. I regret for the unfortunate circumstances and deeply regret that you did not happy about our hotel procedure to collect a room deposit. But this practice is doing in all hotels in Thailand, to cover and protect our self for any unfortunate circumstance.

For internet service at the hotel, please kindly note that we provided Unlimited internet access to all in-house guest. I'm not sure that how do you get the information for a complimentary 2 hours per stay. That's totally not our hotel.

Your remarks have been carefully noted and I can assure you that necessary steps have been taken to avoid such inconveniences in the future as our aim and intent is to ensure all employees are totally customer-focus and all guest concerns and requests are handled quickly and efficiently.

Meanwhile, I am at your disposal should you need further assistance.

Sincerely yours,