“Perfect location, cheapest in the category”

New Siam Guest House I
Ranked #156 of 628 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Koh Tao
“Perfect location, cheapest in the category”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Ok, so don't expect a 5 star hotel but in all our trips to Bangkok we always ended up staying here

The good:
- Perfect location! Just 5 min walk to Khao San Road and without all the noise
- Good size clean rooms
- White sheets!.... and we all know its a luxury around here ;)
- The cheapest laundry in BKK just across the street to the left (old woman, 30 bath p/k)
- Cheap/safe long term storage (left our suitcases for 2 months while traveling to Nepal)

The bad
- Do not expect a smile from the reception girls....any of them! But they will still be helpful giving you instruction on how to get places so its OK
- Very strict about times/prices

We have stayed in pretty much every room in here, aircon rooms are sweeeet, fan rooms you can live with even in the mid of the summer. Overall, great value for price! Would recommend to anyone :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 11 March 2014

It is not the nicest, the spotless, the confier one but it is great in all those aspects considering the value. I've stayed there 2 years ago when I was in Bkk. This time I wanted to try something new and nicer and after 2 nights I went back to new siam I. It was basically the same thing but more expensive. If you are in a budget, but would like to have AC and a decent room, this is the place to go.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Algeciras, Spain
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed here 3 nights and plan to return. My room was great with a fan and bathroom and it came with sheets and towels. There is also a safe. Staff were fine and Asithip at reception very helpful. Its location being a 5 minute walk from Pra Athit pier is great, plus The no. 3 bus stop is very near to the pier too . This bus goes directly to the North bus terminal and is free of charge. Khao San is les than 10 minutes away,, so again very convenient. Love Banglampou as it has managed to keep The feel of Old Bangkok with very few skyscrapers!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Alex B
Bangkok
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed hear twice now and will be going back when next in Bangkok.
The location is perfect of the hustle and bustle of koh San and well out of ear shot of the bars this guesthouse is ideal at only 370bht per night,
with shared hot/cold shower and toilet.
our first stay was on the 2nd floor and we really had no complaint, our second stay was on the fourth floor and we got the feeling that the staff didn't want to walk up to the stairs so didn't bother cleaning the toilets! Could have just been a one off as we only stayed the one night.
Staff were friendly enough but the in house travel agent is easily twice as much as any other even the one just next door.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mitch1664
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

While living in Thailand, whenever passing through Bangkok I made this my cheap place to stay. The rooms are decent, as long as you aren't there in the hot season with only a fan room, unbearably hot in the room, it was cooler outside! clean and the restaurant downstairs isnt anything fancy but they do good food and the service is decent. In a great location.

Room Tip: get a room with AC unless you can sleep in crazy heat
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Capitanlou
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed in New Siam 1 for 5 nights back in early October 2013. It is very close to Khao San Road right in the heart of the Backpacker district. I really liked that it was near Khao San Road, but still tucked away on a "less" hectic, loud street. There are two really nice eateries just up the street that I tried "Hemlock" being one, and the best Pad Thai I have ever had from a street vendor for only 30 BHT a plate! That is the good about New Siam...

The rooms are very basic, no sheets on the bed, no toilet paper or soap in the shared bathrooms, the staff aren't particularly friendly or helpful. You have to pay for everything including a towel if you need one, and Wifi. It isn't that expensive per say, but every little bit counts when you are on a budget. I believe Wifi was 90 BHT for 3 days access. I can't review the food at the restaurant because I didn't try it. There is also a 7/11 at the end of the street, which is useful.

In conclusion, New Siam is what it is. Cheap accommodation in a good location. The truth is, I was partying and drinking all night most of my time in bangkok, even though I had no intention of doing so. For this reason, I had no trouble sleeping here(when I finally did).

My next trip to bangkok will be somewhere away from Khao San and the party scene. So, I probably won't be staying at new siam again.

Overall, I found it to suit my budget and needs for this particular trip.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Kassel, Germany
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for the second time and liked the location and rooms, BUT

The hotel has seeps issues regarding service and friendliness of staff. At every moment you feel that the place is made to make money.hospitality is a side effect at best. The place charges for every detail that is a complimentary thing elsewhere. Wi-Fi for example. The hotel is full of little payment reminders (see my photos). it makes you feel like a cow to be milked, not a guest. Staff is snappy and responds to questions with being annoyed. Go here if 'clean and central' is all you are looking for. notices when to pay and you really do

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sprudu

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels